• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,321 posts in this topic

Ditto, fantastic, Gino!

Looking at these together, I'm struck by how the colorist was such an unsung hero of Fox covers. The cover art is for the most part fairly busy, but they still just look so great! Lots of interesting little elements that pop and draw your eye around.

Thanks gents!! just gotta love em' Speaking of Fantastic I need one of those in there somewhere the Fox hole is looking bare without one now that I am looking at em together. I need a Weird in there too somewhere!! Maybe a Big 3 too but I keep getting blown out on the #7 the last few times it has came up. :cry:

Thanks gents!! just gotta love em' Speaking of Fantastic I need one of those in there somewhere the Fox hole is looking bare without one now that I am looking at em together. I need a Weird in there too somewhere!! Maybe a Big 3 too but I keep getting blown out on the #7 the last few times it has came up. :cry:

I like those early Fox covers but they are hard to get.

9110798556_4a5b823200_b.jpg

16350063592_89ebbca1c4_b.jpg

25839374534_83d503241b_b.jpg

I like Our Gang comics with art by Barks and Kelly. Issue 18 was signed by Spanky. I like to imagine it was signed at one of those Houston Cons that he attended "way back when...". :whee:

I don't remember Spanky McFarland ever appearing at a Houston show, but I could be very wrong. I remember him being at a show in Dallas in the early 80's. The first time I saw him at a show was in Memphis at a western movie convention. I waited in line for a signature and he was so gruff and complained so much, "I was treated so bad. Buy this still first. Where's my ten dollars? I hate this stuff!". I'm sure there are times when he was Spanky but that day he was Cranky. It turned me off to the whole idea of autographs.

25839374534_83d503241b_b.jpg

I like Our Gang comics with art by Barks and Kelly. Issue 18 was signed by Spanky. I like to imagine it was signed at one of those Houston Cons that he attended "way back when...". :whee:

I don't remember Spanky McFarland ever appearing at a Houston show, but I could be very wrong. I remember him being at a show in Dallas in the early 80's. The first time I saw him at a show was in Memphis at a western movie convention. I waited in line for a signature and he was so gruff and complained so much, "I was treated so bad. Buy this still first. Where's my ten dollars? I hate this stuff!". I'm sure there are times when he was Spanky but that day he was Cranky. It turned me off to the whole idea of autographs.

I do have a comic signed by Martin Nodell and I have a few others signed by Robinson and Kane and Kubert but Martin was one of the few creators that I have met and talked to. He didn't complain and was very nice.

26424170276_254ed2a7d6_b.jpg

I didn't ask him to sign the comic. It was from someone else.