• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JLA 166-168...

54 posts in this topic

Amazing how as soon as the Greatest JLA Stories tpb was announced the bottom fell out. I got my 166 VF upgrade for $4 or so. confused-smiley-013.gif

Readers? Or Speculators on behalf of readers? Discuss.

I sold mine to a dealer at the NY Comicon for a combined $50 for all three. He resold them for $100 total later in the day.

Including the one you got from me for $20 or so? I assume you only needed that one for the set, otherwise it wouldn't be worth the flip.

TPBacks are going to be the end of all of us. My 10 year old will buy TPB's in the future not the comics..........................Thats sad.

Remember modern comics are like penny stocks...............

TPBacks are going to be the end of all of us. My 10 year old will buy TPB's in the future not the comics..........................Thats sad.

Remember modern comics are like penny stocks...............

Is penny stock a synonym for toilet paper confused.gif

"If they have a hot book, it is better for them to reprint it and make the money. DC as a company has to be concerned about the readers."

you don't think that the way the whole new crisis event has reached back and made some back issues from the last 20 years hot commodities has helped fuel sales of the new books? did anyone buy House of M?

Hmmmm, so what lasted longer, this little fad or something like the "cosmic spiderman" books being "hot" pre-ebay? That would be an interesting list --- short, hot, fads. Not talking about Valiant, Liefield, McFarlane or things that lasted a few years, but something that popped in just a few months. Granted, ebay tends to make things happen faster because you quickly see how many get offered for sale. In the olden days it took time for everyone to dig up their Son of Satan appearances of what not.

OK, that's a good one, Son of Satan was quasi-hot for like what, 3 months, at some point in the early 90s? [i think of the 70s re-treads like Deathlock, Guardians of the Galaxy, Morbius and Ghost Rider, SOS fizzled the fastest (I don't think either of these other four would qualify for my list, Deathlock I think had about 2 years...Guardians of the Galaxy comes close, 1970's Morbius books weren't trash heap material due to the affiliation with Spidey)

"If they have a hot book, it is better for them to reprint it and make the money. DC as a company has to be concerned about the readers."

you don't think that the way the whole new crisis event has reached back and made some back issues from the last 20 years hot commodities has helped fuel sales of the new books? did anyone buy House of M?

I don't know what the question is confused-smiley-013.gif

My comment was based on someone saying the release of TPB kills the collectors market. DC or any other publisher has to worry about it's current readers, not the collectors. Reprinting the JLA stories is taking advantage of hot books, but is detrimental to those that speculated on these issues. As far as the Crisis books go, I would think DC knew there would be interest in the back issues, but they didn't do that drive up the back issue prices. They see it as an opportunity to reprint those back issues. I don't think the back issues are fueling the new books. It's the other way around.

I think the hotness of JLA 166-168 and some other books helped to extra hype the new crisis books that were coming out. Obviously the new crisis series set the back issues on fire in the first place. Just an opinion. As someone who mainly buys older material and not much off the rack, the fact that the series relates back 20+ years got me more interested and I bought more crisis and crisis tie-in books as a result (not multiples).

Anyway, I understand the financial motivation behind reprinting old comics, but time and time again the publishers take the air out of some book by reprinting it the moment anyone cares about it. Here, it's less the case, but when you know Hush will be a TPB in 3 months, why bother buying the monthly issues?