• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I want to sell my Ditko page but...

13 posts in this topic

I know almost nothing about original art.

I picked this page up in he early 90's when I was doing some comics writing. I don't collect art, I collect Golden Age comics, and I want to give this piece a good home while maximizing my ability to turn it into comics. I'm thinking about selling it at Wizard World LA this weekend.

Any ballpark on what a Ditko page like this should go for? It's from First Issue Special #7.

ditko-page.jpg

Any advice would be helpful. And no, the top of the page isn't gone, I just took a bad photo of it.

Thanks in advance to any and all who might reply...

really? I know nothing about the oa market, but that just seems so darn low... I would have thought considerably more. other opinions?

Well, there's a huge price difference in Ditko Spider-Man and Ditko everything else.

As for actual prices - I'll let those who collect this type of art speculate. But it seems like a pretty fair assessment to me.

I agree with the lower value.

I had a transformation page from Showcase #73 that I traded to a friend as he thought he could sell it for a fortune down the road, but when it came time he couldn't get more than $800 for it if I remember correctly.

I agree with the lower value.

I had a transformation page from Showcase #73 that I traded to a friend as he thought he could sell it for a fortune down the road, but when it came time he couldn't get more than $800 for it if I remember correctly.

Wow! You'd think any Ditko pages would go for more. I might as well hold onto this page then.

Maybe instead I'll sell my Dringenberg Daredevil cover (I hope Mike doesn't see this...).

Mike Royer did the inks on that issue, if it was Ditko inks it will be valued around $750.00 and you might not think about selling.

I don't know what this specific page would bring on the open market (the estimates given here are probably true, and you can always put it on ebay with a high reserve if you want to fish for bids and offers just to confirm), but it's true, Ditko pencils/inks will always bring top dollar. Other inkers over Ditko pencils tend not to get the same level of financial interest -- probably because there's such a difference between the way the finished art looks. You can tell when a page wasn't inked by Ditko -- the purity of his art just isn't there, and most Ditko fans are Ditko purists. And his later DC work like this isn't considered his prime work.

If you don't have to dump this page, then keep it. But don't expect it to sell for big bucks down the road. Many collectors have the mistaken idea that ANY page by such and such artist must be valuable. Ditko ASM and Dr. Strange pages will always bring huge money because they are his iconic Marvel works -- Ditko's DC and Charleton works, and his later Marvel works (Machine Man, Daredevil, etc) will not bring anything close.

Similarly, Kirby's prime Silver Age Marvel work will sell at much higher levels than his DC or 2nd stint Marvel work.

You've got a nice page there, and the Royer inks are definitely decent. Enjoy it!

You've got a nice page there, and the Royer inks are definitely decent. Enjoy it!
I do love the page. I bought it on a whim, not as an investment or anything. So I'll keep it just the same.

I figured though what the heck if it was worth crazy money I could turn it into books since I'm dumping everything else I used to collect into golden age comics.

Thanks all!