• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Comic Book Show brings Eric Powell to Nashua, NH, April 9

25 posts in this topic

Goon Creator Eric Powell at Nashua, NH, Comic Show

NASHUA, NHThe Comic Book Show, New Hampshire’s preeminent collectors’ event, returns to the Holiday Inn in Nashua for its third triumphant year on Sunday, April 9, with a special one-day convention featuring the finest in comics, toys, and so much more.

Thousands of area fans have enjoyed the previous Comic Book Shows, and the organizers are going all out to make the upcoming show their best yet. Featuring 70 tables of comic books, artists, collectibles, toys, art, and more, the show will definitely offer something for pop culture fans of all ages. Door prizes will be given away every hour, and a number of publishers have provided giveaways which will be available free to all attendees.

Guest of Honor Eric Powell, creator of the widely-popular and critically-acclaimed series “The Goon” currently being published by Dark Horse Comics, will be making his only New England appearance. Powell’s distinctive and detailed artwork has also graced the covers of numerous publications for both Marvel Comics and DC Comics, including “The Incredible Hulk” and “Swamp Thing.” He also took part in the recent fan-favorite project revitalizing Marvel Comics’ classic monster characters and will soon be doing the same for the publisher’s Western icons.

The Comic Book Show will be held on Sunday, April 9, at The Holiday Inn, 9 Northeastern Blvd., Nashua, conveniently located next to McDonald’s just off Route 3 at Exit 4. The show will be open to the public from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Admission is $5 per person, with discount coupons ($1 off) available soon at the show’s web site. Children 10 and under get in for free. As a special treat, the first 100 paid customers will receive a free Goon poster. The Comic Book Show will also be offering an exclusive, limited edition print available only at the show. Powell will be on hand throughout the convention to sign both the poster and the print. For additional information or to order tickets, please visit www.thecomicshow.com or call (978) 388-7658.

I'm not sure. I will pass the suggestion on to the promoters and try to get back to you. I do believe they have posted such a list on the web site in the past, but the site's been revamped a bit and I'm not sure what the plans for that are. To hold you over, I know I will have a table with deep discount trades and hardcovers, and my buddy Scott Reilly will have two tables with a variety of affordable comics, with a strong focus on Bronze to Modern ages stuff. Beyond that, I could guess, but I don't want to say someone is going to be there when it turns out they can't.

I will definitely get back to you.

- Bill

I'll be there Bill bright and early. Bring a ton of graphic novels you want to unload. Anyone know how much detail Eric is putting into his con sketches lately? I really haven't seen many recent sketches done by him posted.

For a small show, I thought it was fantastic. I went with the intention of killing an hour in the dollar bins and meeting comicartfan for lunch. I walked out with 36 high grade books, spent about 70 bucks, and couldn't believe some of the stuff I passed up on.

My loot:

About 30 25c-50c NM DC war books, about a buck a piece. Some gorgeous stuff, and I only wish I had shown up about 20 minutes earlier, cuz the guy who got to the box before me took off with a stack of about 40 OAAW, SSWS, etc.

A gorgeous VF Pals & Gals Giant Size 22 (1962) for 9 bucks--just stunning+ some high grade 9.0ish 1970's Archie Giant Size issues.

Some of the most gorgeous Charlton's I've ever seen with, what I think is truly rare, super high gloss covers, Monster Hunters, and other with Ditko stories. Many 9.4's, and some beautiful VF+'s.

Lots of oddball stuff there, and all at reasonable prices.

And lunch was great. Nice to talk to some comic fans and board members.

For a small show, I thought it was fantastic. I went with the intention of killing an hour in the dollar bins and meeting comicartfan for lunch. I walked out with 36 high grade books, spent about 70 bucks, and couldn't believe some of the stuff I passed up on.

My loot:

About 30 25c-50c NM DC war books, about a buck a piece. Some gorgeous stuff, and I only wish I had shown up about 20 minutes earlier, cuz the guy who got to the box before me took off with a stack of about 40 OAAW, SSWS, etc.

A gorgeous VF Pals & Gals Giant Size 22 (1962) for 9 bucks--just stunning+ some high grade 9.0ish 1970's Archie Giant Size issues.

Some of the most gorgeous Charlton's I've ever seen with, what I think is truly rare, super high gloss covers, Monster Hunters, and other with Ditko stories. Many 9.4's, and some beautiful VF+'s.

Lots of oddball stuff there, and all at reasonable prices.

I was so late leaving and with only a small amount of $ I briefly considered not going. Spoiled my mood a bit; had I been in better spirits I would've picked up some books from those $1 bins by the front door. Some bins I didn't even get to flip through - like that Chartlon fellow, I forget his name. Mmph. Now I'm starting to kick myself. tonofbricks.gif There's always the next one (is there on in the fall?) and Boston in a few weeks.

Yep, but let's let comicartfan tell everyone about that when he gets a chance.

I emailed Andrew (buck biggins) already.....I did grab three pages, one for myself, two for other collectors....I also managed to grab a quick head sketch....

Comic wise, I grabbed two Essential ASM trades for ten bucks...(hi.gif Bill) ..and one is the volume 4, which I have the cover art ......

I enjoyed the show. Nice to meet Paul and I enjoyed lunch. Although this one didn't have the line up that the last one did, it was worth it just for getting some GOON art and the trades.....Saul Zimmerman was there, but didn't bring ANY art.... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Overall, I recommend going and I will probably go to the next one. October 29th -