• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tips and strategies

12 posts in this topic

Question - from all the experience in collecting OA in these forums, can anyone share tips of strategies on how to acquire OA (covers, splashes or pages) from modern mainstream comics such as ASM or X-men, etc?

For example, a comic just came out last month, how does one try to jump on the OA? Any advice or help will be much appreciated.

Ebay wise.

Keep searching every other day or so..

Set a budget and stick to it, dont let emotion sway you or you will go into debt fast.

Read decriptions carefully so you dont end up buying Repros or all stat pages

Question - from all the experience in collecting OA in these forums, can anyone share tips of strategies on how to acquire OA (covers, splashes or pages) from modern mainstream comics such as ASM or X-men, etc?

For example, a comic just came out last month, how does one try to jump on the OA? Any advice or help will be much appreciated.

My main advice is to figure out who reps the artist as soon as possible, and try to build a relationship with them... Once you do that, just keep the relationship (without being annoying), and as soon as you see the page (in previews, or at your LCS), contact the rep and show interest. He might not have the piece available yet, or he might not know the price yet, but at least he'll know you're interested in it... Don't wait until the OA is generally available in a web site, or people might be faster than you... I got my Exiles DPS that way, for example.

That would be my main advice smile.gif

I represent the following artists for their art sales.

Bill Sienkiewicz

Tim Sale

Dan Green

Bob Larkin

Joe Chiodo

Frank Quitely

Jeff Scott Campbell

Ed McGuinness

Joe Jusko

Brian Stelfreeze

Howard Chaykin

Jim Starlin

So if you see something new by these guys, let me know.

I do not handle commissions for any of the above artists. You will have to contact them yourself.

Mitch I.

Graphic Collectibles

Finding out who sells the art (rep/artist themselves) IS very important. Most of the big reps won't disclose exactly when pages become available (for fairness reasons) so it is good practice to know how they operate. With the artists who sell their own work, polite, profession persistance can reward you in the end. I've happened to ask certain artists at the right time and been able to get some early crack at a few choice pieces.

Sometimes the hunt can be just as fun (or completely frustrating when it doesn't pan out!)

I represent the following artists for their art sales.

Bill Sienkiewicz

Tim Sale

Dan Green

Bob Larkin

Joe Chiodo

Frank Quitely

Jeff Scott Campbell

Ed McGuinness

Joe Jusko

Brian Stelfreeze

Howard Chaykin

Jim Starlin

So if you see something new by these guys, let me know.

I do not handle commissions for any of the above artists. You will have to contact them yourself.

Mitch I.

Graphic Collectibles

Can we Pm you here?

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a PM?

Anywho, Since most if not all the artists I rep do NOT hand art over to the companies, I usually have it for sale a day or so after the book comes out. Sometimes the artist is slow to get me the art, but it is never longer than 2 weeks. DC and Marvel have a practice where they don't send the art to the artist for 3 months!

Mitch I.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a PM?

A PM is a "Private Message"

You can send a private message by clicking on a users name. This will take you to thier "about me" page. On the bottom of that page is a link to "Send this member a private message"

If you get a private message you will see a flashing envelope icon on the top of the page, nexxt to your name. You shuld also get an email stating you have Private messages(not sure if this is an option you neeed to turn on though)

Mike