• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sandman Cover - Am I missing something here?

60 posts in this topic

He's been circulating this piece for sale for the last 2 months, with no takers within the art community, no he's hoping he's going to get some random insufficiently_thoughtful_person to shell out $12k buying it.

Yes the piece is heavily over priced, and yes this guy is trying it on!

...and with that stupidity said, can anyone tell me (without Googling it) what this quote is from - "What is your major malfunction numbnuts? Didn't Mommy and Daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?!!!

He's been circulating this piece for sale for the last 2 months, with no takers within the art community, no he's hoping he's going to get some random insufficiently_thoughtful_person to shell out $12k buying it.

All you do when you post this garbage is make yourself look like a very angry, unloved person with nothing better to do than to attack strangers on a message board. Congratulations...mission accomplished.

I've been trying to trade the cover for other Sandman art for the last couple months, (as it has always been my preference to trade it) but have not offered it for sale, which is certainly my perogative. You will find no posts on the L or on here until this recent Ebay auction. I only just put the cover into my trade/sale gallery a couple weeks ago...

Also, since you claim to have so much insight into my actions and intent (which you don't) you would know what I paid for it, and would know that I wasn't looking to make a bundle on this.

I am not looking for a "random insufficiently_thoughtful_person" -- I am trying to broaden my search for a buyer, as not all Sandman/McKean fans are on the L, or on this forum.

On a related note, where is your hate coming from?

Apologies if there was inference of hate, I assure you there none was intended. I just went by what was on the face of you ebay auction...

Starting price $12,200, Buy it now $12,200.

And for someone who's owned the piece for 2 months, it's just a classic flip we're looking at, nothing more, nothing less. And all for an exhorbadant asking price.

What really digs me is the hyperbole that comes along with auction, it makes you sound like you actually appreciate what your selling.

Dude, a flip is flip, is a flip. No need to be coy about it.

fin.

People like to hate.

And hate leads to fear 893whatthe.gif

fear leads to anger Christo_pull_hair.gif

and anger leads to the dark side devil.gif

WWYD? (What would yoda do)

Chris

Apologies if there was inference of hate, I assure you there none was intended. I just went by what was on the face of you ebay auction...

Starting price $12,200, Buy it now $12,200.

And for someone who's owned the piece for 2 months, it's just a classic flip we're looking at, nothing more, nothing less. And all for an exhorbadant asking price.

What really digs me is the hyperbole that comes along with auction, it makes you sound like you actually appreciate what your selling.

Dude, a flip is flip, is a flip. No need to be coy about it.

fin.

I really do appreciate the piece I'm selling. I paid five figures for it, after all, and at the time, really thought it would be a mainstay in my collection. I guess it would be okay if I had a sob story to go with the sale, but I don't. I would really just like the money back to spend on other art that I feel would make me happier, and this is how I choose to go about doing that. Maybe it will sell here, maybe it will sell on Heritage. But ultimately, I would really like to get out of the piece what I put into it. Isn't that we all want when we sell an expensive piece of OA?

If you had looked at my sale/trade gallery, you might see I have lots of other Sandman pieces for sale. Am I just flipping them? If so, to what end? Profit? Hahahaha. Do you do much buying in the Sandman market? I think a few people on this board could tell you that I pay too much wink.gif

If so, to what end? Profit? Hahahaha. Do you do much buying in the Sandman market? I think a few people on this board could tell you that I pay too much wink.gif

It's true, Jonathan is willing to spend *slightly* more money than I am on Sandman art.

Which pisses me off to no end.

If so, to what end? Profit? Hahahaha. Do you do much buying in the Sandman market? I think a few people on this board could tell you that I pay too much wink.gif

It's true, Jonathan is willing to spend *slightly* more money than I am on Sandman art.

Which pisses me off to no end.

I only regret not spending more than you on the Bachalo. Rookie mistake there. foreheadslap.gif

I've done several deals with Jonathan and they were all perfect. Totally upfront about his art. There is no hidden agenda. I can't wait to see what he turns the sale of this SANDMAN cover into!

Good luck Jonathan!

Apologies if there was inference of hate, I assure you there none was intended.

He says and then goes on to more hatin'

27_laughing.gif

Come on do better than that, you not really applying yourself are you.

Apologies if there was inference of hate, I assure you there none was intended.

He says and then goes on to more hatin'

27_laughing.gif

Come on do better than that, you not really applying yourself are you.

Stop trolling thumbsup2.gif

If you had looked at my sale/trade gallery, you might see I have lots of other Sandman pieces for sale. Am I just flipping them? If so, to what end? Profit? Hahahaha. Do you do much buying in the Sandman market? I think a few people on this board could tell you that I pay too much wink.gif

No fair call, you do have a lot of very nice pieces, it's only as another Sandman fan that I want to see it done right, and not rendered into a shun piece. There's nothing more dead than a piece thats been thrown around under everyone's nose for sale too long. And admittedly 2 months isn't quite near that at all, but $12k is not a realistic asking price for this piece, and only a nieve OA collector would shell out the full asking price, and that is grating to my sense of fair play, and demeaning to those who know better.

No fair call, you do have a lot of very nice pieces, it's only as another Sandman fan that I want to see it done right, and not rendered into a shun piece. There's nothing more dead than a piece thats been thrown around under everyone's nose for sale too long. And admittedly 2 months isn't quite near that at all, but $12k is not a realistic asking price for this piece, and only a nieve OA collector would shell out the full asking price, and that is grating to my sense of fair play, and demeaning to those who know better.

This is the first time I have put this piece on the block for cash. The first time. All the other "throwing around" of the piece was for trade. Not sure where you're collecting your data, but it's wrong.

And I can't mention any names but there was an individual willing to pay over 13K for this piece during the previous owner's bid taking, but they didn't pan out. So is it still not a realistic asking price? You're really just accusing me of overpaying, which I don't think is cause for a public calling out.

And I've demonstated why I think this is a 12K piece. Would you like to provide opposing data as to why it's not?

This is the first time I have put this piece on the block for cash. The first time. All the other "throwing around" of the piece was for trade. Not sure where you're collecting your data, but it's wrong.

And I can't mention any names but there was an individual willing to pay over 13K for this piece during the previous owner's bid taking, but they didn't pan out. So is it still not a realistic asking price? You're really just accusing me of overpaying, which I don't think is cause for a public calling out.

And I've demonstated why I think this is a 12K piece. Would you like to provide opposing data as to why it's not?

The art is regarded as pricey in comparison to other comparable period pieces by equally reputable artists, and a lot of collector's outside the inner circle of direct Sandman art collectors, share this as unanimous opinion. So at this point, I'll keep my 2 cents to myself and await the outcome.

Best of luck with the auction.

The art is regarded as pricey in comparison to other comparable period pieces by equally reputable artists, and a lot of collector's outside the inner circle of direct Sandman art collectors, share this as unanimous opinion. So at this point, I'll keep my 2 cents to myself and await the outcome.

When I see McKean commissions sell for 1500 - 2000, if you can find them, I say to myself "How can *this* piece not be worth five figures?!" Do you know what Bolland charges for a commission? I think if you had all the data, you would see that this is a reasonable price for this cover.

You mentioned earlier that, as a Sandman fan, you wanted to see this done the right way. What I would like to know is what you think "the right way" is? Straight to Heritage with no Ebay? And if you really felt that way, you would have PM'ed me with some advice. What you did instead was do your best to make it a "shun piece" all on your own...

When I see McKean commissions sell for 1500 - 2000, if you can find them, I say to myself "How can *this* piece not be worth five figures?!" Do you know what Bolland charges for a commission? I think if you had all the data, you would see that this is a reasonable price for this cover.

You mentioned earlier that, as a Sandman fan, you wanted to see this done the right way. What I would like to know is what you think "the right way" is? Straight to Heritage with no Ebay? And if you really felt that way, you would have PM'ed me with some advice. What you did instead was do your best to make it a "shun piece" all on your own...

Don't worry about it being a "shun piece". No one is really taking him seriously. He's obviously just making a fool of himself with his uncouth behavior.