• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sandman Cover - Am I missing something here?

60 posts in this topic

The art is regarded as pricey in comparison to other comparable period pieces by equally reputable artists, and a lot of collector's outside the inner circle of direct Sandman art collectors, share this as unanimous opinion. So at this point, I'll keep my 2 cents to myself and await the outcome.

Best of luck with the auction.

When I see McKean commissions sell for 1500 - 2000, if you can find them, I say to myself "How can *this* piece not be worth five figures?!" Do you know what Bolland charges for a commission? I think if you had all the data, you would see that this is a reasonable price for this cover.

You mentioned earlier that, as a Sandman fan, you wanted to see this done the right way. What I would like to know is what you think "the right way" is? Straight to Heritage with no Ebay? And if you really felt that way, you would have PM'ed me with some advice. What you did instead was do your best to make it a "shun piece" all on your own...

Don't worry about it being a "shun piece". No one is really taking him seriously. He's obviously just making a fool of himself with his uncouth behavior.

Seriously. There's NO NEED to defend yourself against this guy.

Where in the "middle" of the frame? The description says

"The piece is approximately 8"x11" -- photography, collage -- with paint used around the border".

Just looking hard at it for "original art", and the stiff price tag.

Then again it is Sandman, and it is from 1989.

Does anyone know what others have sold for?

Just trying to figure this one out, maybe I will get educated in the process.

Thanks to all.

Not all art is pen and ink or painting. Have you ever been to a museum?

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

regards

Don't worry about it being a "shun piece". No one is really taking him seriously. He's obviously just making a fool of himself with his uncouth behavior.

We trying to have a discussion, not a debate about etiquet, or whether the weight of who said what was appropriate.

Don't be a [embarrassing lack of self control], and simply contribute something meaningful.

No bones about it, holding out for a flat $12,200 on the piece is bullish per the market, which is the essence of what I've been saying.

Like I said before, I've finished discussing, the seller has made a good account of himself, and I simply await to see the outcome.

Again, best of success to him.

We trying to have a discussion, not a debate about etiquet, or whether the weight of who said what was appropriate.

Don't be a [embarrassing lack of self control], and simply contribute something meaningful.

No bones about it, holding out for a flat $12,200 on the piece is bullish per the market, which is the essence of what I've been saying.

Like I said before, I've finished discussing, the seller has made a good account of himself, and I simply await to see the outcome.

Again, best of success to him.

Did you say something?

Did you say something?

Again another meaningful contribution...take a break buddy, you must have a firece sweat on by now.

It's really not that hard to learn to use the quote function correctly. Only put the [ quote] around his text.

Did you say something?

Again another meaningful contribution...take a break buddy, you must have a firece sweat on by now.

It's really not that hard to learn to use the quote function correctly. Only put the [ quote] around his text.

Dude, if you want to play school teacher because you have some authority issue in your life do it somewhere else, just stick to the thread topic if you can.

Did you say something?

Dude, if you want to play school teacher because you have some authority issue in your life do it somewhere else, just stick to the thread topic if you can.

What if I want to play school teacher because I am a school teacher?

Well they do say there's an exception to every rule...

I am not a teacher. I was just asking but I will let you get back to your topic now.

I'm only hearing "Blah, blah blah". Another troll that wasn't loved enough as a child.

Actually, despite all the negativity, I have re-evaluated what I'm doing with the cover. I've done the math, and have adjusted the "starting bid" of the auction to $10,900, which is the least the piece could sell for and assure that I get out of it what I have in. If it does not sell in this go-around, it will not be relisted. It will go "back in the vault" until a trade for something I'm more interested in comes up. You can see my post in the OA Marketplace to check out that wants list. This isn't a marketplace thread. smile.gif

I'm sure starting $1300 lower will do nothing to change the minds of some that this is overpriced, but that's life, isn't it?

Peace,

J

You know, I would have liked to have waded in more on this topic earlier having played my part in Jon getting this cover. I've been out of town and off line due to that so here is my 4 cents...

Unless I’ve missed it, how comes no one has pointed out the bad form of -->(insert your negative term here, trashing works well I think)<--- a running auction? That really doesn't seem right to me, and hopefully others too.

From my perspective, the cover is a damn fine piece, from one of the best series of recent times. It may not have muscle bound freaks in tights so maybe that’s why folks aren't getting it. Let the auction run its course and then we can all reflect on the piece selling or not selling.

It's also so funny to think that this was going to be a low key, under the table kind of sale and look where it's at now....

Best

Simon