• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obviously Overpriced Art - How do you make an offer?

13 posts in this topic

I've found a really nice page that I like but it's way overpriced at 600.00 on someone's website. I would value the page at more around 3-350.00 and wouldn't mind offering a small premium up to 400.00. How do I come across without sounding like a cheapskate? This page has been for sale for awhile and I've just dismissed doing anything about it because I didn't want to insult the seller either.

It's just that I keep coming back to it and thinking about some way to make my offer and not have the seller insulted or anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about insulting the seller. Just offer him your best price for the page - $400 in this case - and see what he says. Some sellers are quick to deal, some would prefer to sit on the page for all eternity. But you won't know which he is until you make an offer.

I was in the same situation a while back for about the same price you are in. My offer was about 300 less (more than half asking price) and the rep dealing with the artist read me the riot act! What he did point out was that, it may be overpriced, but maybe the artist doesn't wasnt to part with it unless he was given a price that he was happy with. Just tread lightly with your offer lest ye offend....

Thanks guys I may think about it over the weekend and jump into action on Monday. I guess the worst thing that could happen is that he'd say no and then I'm not any further ahead or behind than I am now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

15 years ago, I was using a friend as a go between to buy an FF5 page directly from Joe Sinnott. I was willing to pay 7K, and he wanted 8K. I never got the page, and I was a little angry, thinking it was silly for me to offer such a great amount..at the time, and for him not to take it. Silly Me, frustrated.gif indeed. I say if you WANT the page, make an offer close to the ask and get on with it. Otherwise, you will live in regret as I do!! (not really, but the important thing is actually wanting the art! ) Just my 2 cents. Best.

15 years ago, I was using a friend as a go between to buy an FF5 page directly from Joe Sinnott. I was willing to pay 7K, and he wanted 8K. I never got the page, and I was a little angry, thinking it was silly for me to offer such a great amount..at the time, and for him not to take it. Silly Me, frustrated.gif indeed. I say if you WANT the page, make an offer close to the ask and get on with it. Otherwise, you will live in regret as I do!! (not really, but the important thing is actually wanting the art! ) Just my 2 cents. Best.

if your going to spend 7K on something...whats another thousand?

I've found a really nice page that I like but it's way overpriced at 600.00 on someone's website. I would value the page at more around 3-350.00 and wouldn't mind offering a small premium up to 400.00. How do I come across without sounding like a cheapskate? This page has been for sale for awhile and I've just dismissed doing anything about it because I didn't want to insult the seller either.

It's just that I keep coming back to it and thinking about some way to make my offer and not have the seller insulted or anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

-

This calls for the subtle approach . . .

E-mail the dealer and say, "Gee, if you've any plans to have a 30% off sale, I could be in the market for your (insert name of artwork here)." grin.gif

Failing that, learn to dislike the art on a, "Well, it wasn't THAT hot," sort of basis . . . devil.gif

if your going to spend 7K on something...whats another thousand?

The difference between eating well, or starving for an hour or two . . ?

Ok for those of you that offered advice, I emailed the seller today with a variation of the having a sale in the future pitch. I also offered up some trades if he was interested.

His reply was that the price was firm and he wasn't interested in any trades.

Oh well on to the next page. Thanks for the advice guys.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Thats interesting. Since I've decided that the next major purchase for me is going to be a piece of OA rather than a Key Comic I have taken the 1st piece of advice from the boards here and over at Comic Art Fan. The advice was to wait for a month and look at as much art as possible and do research knowing what you want. Based on the research I've done there is ALOT of OA out there with HUGE mark ups. In some cases 200% or more than what it sold for at auction houses 18 months or less time ago. 893whatthe.gif

So going on another thread which indicated that you can usually offer 10% less without offending the seller I guess there's a reason that the art it sitting there. I also realize that many times the art might be up with a huge tag just for advertising purposes, or because the dealer really isn't in a hurry to sell wink.gif But I find myself wondering 893scratchchin-thumb.gif If I offer 50 % of the ask price and I know that that is gonna mean the seller makes double their money, am I getting ripped off lol.

Glad to see the slope is just as slippery in the OA market as the HG comics market grin.gif Regardless thanks for all the information that's been posted here, its been really helpful. I think what I've come to learn more than anything is you really better appreciate the piece you get cause more often than not its going to cost you.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

-

This calls for the subtle approach . . .

and a loaded .45