• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Awesome Funny Animal Interiors

18 posts in this topic

I really enjoy the funny animal genre especially the 40's covers; but I admit the interiors leave something to be desired. Flipping through this Mighty Mouse #2, from 1946-47, I was extremely impressed by these full page shots. The other pages are equally impressive with non-standard panels and angular wording etc.

For funny animal its pretty out there.

Splash Page

mm2page1.jpg

Interior full page

mm2page2.jpg

Thanks, ft88 & Scrooge!

Those are jaw-dropping. I love how they look just like the later superhero Timely books too, between the artistic style and the lettering. Never seen those before and never would have...the kind of stuff that makes this forum great. thumbsup2.gif

Scrooge: you had previously posted a non-splash page that had some very dynamic action. Any chance you can re-post it? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

A bit of a cheat, as it is Barks, but this is my favorite funny animal interior page. I just LOVE the battling steam shovels, it is so cool. Plus this is from the period when Barks was doing a lot of interesting thing with panel borders and layouts.

Battling%20Steam%20Shovels.jpg

Loving this thread! I'm really going to have to take sometime in the next couple of days and scan some interior pages from a few of the Timely funnies I've been picking up (just added Terry Toons #8, 24, 47, & 58). Some really great stuff to be found in these. Keep 'em coming guys!

A bit of a cheat, as it is Barks, but this is my favorite funny animal interior page. I just LOVE the battling steam shovels, it is so cool. Plus this is from the period when Barks was doing a lot of interesting thing with panel borders and layouts.

893applaud-thumb.gif

There's also the great splash from Vacation Parade 1. There's an awful lot of energy in the drawings from this time period.

Two more Barks classic half pages. No one could do an ocean storm like Barks. The one with the plane is from the classic bottle cap story.

page3.jpg

page2.jpg

I have to suppose that those are from two different books.

I love the lettering on the first one -- very distinctive.

Did Barks ever do his own lettering? If not, do you have any idea who did it?

Jack

At the beginning, Barks did everything, although later his second wife, Gare, did help him with a variety of tasks.