• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Wolverine Doesn't Smoke Anymore...

105 posts in this topic

From Newsarama.com Joey Q interview:

"Hey there, folks, before we begin this weeks Joe Fridays, let me just be clear on one thing from last week. I see that the no smoking policy has caused quite a stir and quite a bit of speculation. Let me try to make my point as clear as possible and as bluntly as possible. There are no political reasons, there are no behind the scenes reasons for the no smoking policy, it has nothing to do with advertisers, it has nothing to do with fear of a litigious world. It has to do with one thing and one thing only…

"I don’t want to see it in my comics!

"See, again, people react to these Joe Fridays as if I’m an elected official, keeping creators from writing and drawing Wolverine without a cigar in his mouth is CENSORSHIP! Let's be clear, I am not an elected official, I am the Editor-in-Chief of a line of comics. Our line of comics is not the free press, we pay people to write our stories and we have the right to enforce any policy we want. Is it censorship that we don’t let our writers use profanity in our mainstream comics? So, the reason our characters don’t smoke in our books is because I don’t want them smoking in our books, it’s as simple as that. Say what you will, it doesn’t matter, smoking causes cancer.

"CANCER!

"Now, add to this the fact that this policy has been in play for nearly four years, it is beyond me that it’s suddenly an issue other than people read this article and just like to take exception with anything I say. Well, in that case, all I can say is read on, you’ll love this!

"As a young man I lost my grandfather who meant the world to me, to complications due to his smoking most of his life, a few years ago I lost my dad to the same thing. On top of that, I’ve lost at least four relatives to the horrible habit. Sorry, but yes it’s personal for me. If I can prevent one person, one human being from one day becoming a lifetime smoker then that’s a good thing and it will have been worth taking that disgusting thing out of Logan’s mouth. Don’t tell me comics don’t have an effect; comics are a reflection of our culture. Why do so many American youths get hooked on smoking? Because the culture makes it look cool, it makes it seem like an act of rebellion. What rebellion? The act of rebellion would be the courage to say no to peer pressure and to not smoke despite all your pals telling you it’s cool. There is no reason that anyone picks up their first cigarette other than they’re trying to be cool, hip or more adult than they are, it’s not like it taste good. The tobacco companies worked very hard during the 40's, 50's, and 60's to develop this image and the majority of American youth fell for it hook, line and sinker.

"So, lets look at Logan, does smoking make him a rebel? No, it makes him a lemming. See, when someone first takes that puff of a cigar or cigarette, it doesn’t matter who you are, it tastes horrible. But, if you want to be a smoker, you have to work at it, you have to work real hard at it, you have to practice it until you don’t cough and throw up anymore. You have to WORK at trying to look cool! And before you know it, you can do it and look as cool as James Dean. Oh yeah, and that’s when the nicotine gets you and you can’t quit even if you want to. So, what does that say about Wolvie? At one point he must have seen someone smoking a cigar and thought to himself, that’s cool, I want to look cool. He wanted to be cool like everyone else. Does that truly sound like Logan? I mean, smoking would be easy for him, he has a healing factor and if the nicotine doesn’t effect him then he’s doing it for one reason and one reason only, too look cool. Because despite his healing factor, there’s one thing that it can’t do, it can’t make something that taste like [embarrassing lack of self control] taste good. In other words, smoking makes him a follower, a slave to fashion, peer pressure and way too self aware of his own coolness. Sorry, this doesn’t sound like a rebel to me, this sounds like a poseur. If Wolvie is to be a rebel, he would have tried the cigar and said something like, “You smokers are nuts, this taste like $#!@!”

"Also, once Wolvie joined the X-Men, he would have become immediately aware of how many kids surround him and how many look up to him. Secondhand smoke can kill as well and yes, he is someone who every young X-Men would love to emulate. So, based on that alone, the hero in Logan would quit. Why not, it’s easy for him, he wouldn’t be addicted to the nicotine, he could drop it in a second. Unless you’re telling me that he’s so aware of his rebellious reputation that he would keep it up just to LOOK cool? How uncool is that?

"My Wolverine, the Wolverine in my world, he doesn’t smoke, he’s too cool for it. He’s not a follower, he’s not a poseur, he would no sooner smoke a cigar than wear a pair of designer jeans. Bad guys, villains, they can smoke all they want, hopefully the symptoms will catch up with them.

"Now, for those of you who think that I somehow want to emulate Hollywood at every turn, here’s the good news for you, if you want a Wolverine that smokes, go to the movies.

"Another bit of good news is that I won’t be Editor in Chief forever. Perhaps the day that I’m gone, the next EIC will somehow think that smoking is the coolest thing ever and let all your faves pick up a nicely lit stogie and go to town. That’s fine by me, that call will be made by the EIC who is not an elected official and who has every right in the world to do so, it’s his or her Marvel. But as long as I’m here, sorry folks, but no cigar."

Joe Friday linky

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

Joe Q is trying to sound all "high and mighty" about "getting rid of the abhorrent behavior at Marvel", but I don't see him getting up in arms over all the drinking, violence, or sex in those same books.

If they want to clean it ALL up, then more power to 'em, but to play a single PC card, and basically change an iconic character, smacks of "outside influence", like advertisers threatening to pull support.

Yep that explains it. lol.

I hear beer tastes like cr@p...maybe the alcohol gets addicting enough to make you want it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hang in there Slivers and don't fall for the bud commercials. Yes, beer tastes like [embarrassing lack of self control] and so do many liquors. Same as coffee also tastes like [embarrassing lack of self control]. But you do get used to it after enough exposure. Doesn't that sound exciting. 893whatthe.gif

Sorry, but sometimes the other side of alcohol needs to be expressed along with the merry gentlemen. Says the man who is a former drinker, and son of an alcolholic. gossip.gif

Yep that explains it. lol.

I hear beer tastes like cr@p...maybe the alcohol gets addicting enough to make you want it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hang in there Slivers and don't fall for the bud commercials. Yes, beer tastes like [embarrassing lack of self control] and so do many liquors. Same as coffee also tastes like [embarrassing lack of self control]. But you do get used to it after enough exposure. Doesn't that sound exciting. 893whatthe.gif

Sorry, but sometimes the other side of alcohol needs to be expressed along with the merry gentlemen. Says the man who is a former drinker, and son of an alcolholic. gossip.gif

Coffee is cr@p. I do admit, given enough French Vanilla Coffee House milk, I could drink a cup or two.

But I am def. not hooked, nor care for it. And has one hell of a nasty after taste.

Joe Q is trying to sound all "high and mighty" about "getting rid of the abhorrent behavior at Marvel", but I don't see him getting up in arms over all the drinking, violence, or sex in those same books.

If they want to clean it ALL up, then more power to 'em, but to play a single PC card, and basically change an iconic character, smacks of "outside influence", like advertisers threatening to pull support.

I agree completely with JC. sumo.gif

And keep those butterfly nets away from me... 893naughty-thumb.gif

I agree completely with JC. sumo.gif

And keep those butterfly nets away from me... 893naughty-thumb.gif

893whatthe.gif

I agree with JC too. Made me think of that recent ASM arc where you get to see in each members head, and all Wolverine was thinking was "Mmmm... beer."

makepoint.gif

Even if he truely believes this (which I don't think he does), he comes off as such a pompous @$$. Wolverine is not his character. He's merely running a business for Marvel's Board members. And he should do well to remember that. Because the board wants whatever will make more money. And that truely places the power in our hands. So, in essence, we own Wolverine. Eat it Quesadilla.

Pat