• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Wolverine Doesn't Smoke Anymore...

105 posts in this topic

The funny thing is, if JQ hadn't said anything and if the artists simply stopped drawing him with a smoke... I bet nobody would have noticed.

Maybe not right away, but over the longer term, readers would definitely notice.

The funny thing is, if JQ hadn't said anything and if the artists simply stopped drawing him with a smoke... I bet nobody would have noticed.

Maybe not right away, but over the longer term, readers would definitely notice.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but smoking for Wolverine, and Nick Fury for that matter, was fazed out in the mid-90s and didn't return until 4 years or so ago. I seem to remember an article in CBG mentioning the decision to stop depicting smoking in Marvel comics...

Jim

it's the opinion/position of an EIC of one of the biggest publishers that is shocking and sad, not the fact that the character continued or not smoking...someone with this type of shalow minded in front of a big publisher will never do any good!!!

how low can one person go...specially when he had climbed so high in the past (as an artist and EIC).

regards

Joe Q is such a tool. I am more concerned about kids seeing undisclosed gay lifestyles in comics without any warning than them seeing Wolverine or Nick Fury smoke. I think JC nailed it when he said outside forces are at work here. Almost every Marvel comic has 2 or 3 of those anti-smoking ads.

what's the undisclosed got to do with the "gay lifesyyles in comics without any warning"?! Joe Q says kids are influenced by the smoking, are you using the same "prespective/opinion" and relate it to an oriental sexual issue (and apparently his negative impact)?!

regards

Correct me if I'm wrong...but smoking for Wolverine, and Nick Fury for that matter, was fazed out in the mid-90s and didn't return until 4 years or so ago. I seem to remember an article in CBG mentioning the decision to stop depicting smoking in Marvel comics...

Maybe, but I guess the 5-10 people actually buying Modern comics at that time couldn't raise too much of a stink. insane.gif

Joe Q is such a tool. I am more concerned about kids seeing undisclosed gay lifestyles in comics without any warning than them seeing Wolverine or Nick Fury smoke. I think JC nailed it when he said outside forces are at work here. Almost every Marvel comic has 2 or 3 of those anti-smoking ads.

what's the undisclosed got to do with the "gay lifesyyles in comics without any warning"?! Joe Q says kids are influenced by the smoking, are you using the same "prespective/opinion" and relate it to an oriental sexual issue (and apparently his negative impact)?!

regards

No I am not saying the influence is that same. I am saying Joe Q seems to be very selective in his outrage about what kids should or should not be exposed to. It sends the message that seeing Wolverine smoke is bad for kids, but having teenage boys in a gay relationship is perfectly fine for kids to read. Changing the habits of established characters of 30-40+ years because the EIC has a personal agenda is not good for those characters. It opens the door for more PC changes. For example, would you like it if Marvel took an established straight character like say Colossus and suddenly make him gay or bi and have the hots for Nightcrawler?

It opens the door for more PC changes. For example, would you like it if Marvel took an established straight character like say Colossus and suddenly make him gay or bi and have the hots for Nightcrawler?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

regards

No I am not saying the influence is that same. I am saying Joe Q seems to be very selective in his outrage about what kids should or should not be exposed to. It sends the message that seeing Wolverine smoke is bad for kids, but having teenage boys in a gay relationship is perfectly fine for kids to read. Changing the habits of established characters of 30-40+ years because the EIC has a personal agenda is not good for those characters. It opens the door for more PC changes. For example, would you like it if Marvel took an established straight character like say Colossus and suddenly make him gay or bi and have the hots for Nightcrawler?

Isn't Colossus gay in the Ultimate X-men books? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif But I agree with what you are saying. If you are being PC in one area then why aren't you PC in all areas? Again it's his agenda he's pushing. Personally, I can barely recall seeing Wolvie smoking in the comics. Not that it wasn't there, but more that it didn't register as that important. And yeah, they had Wolvie quit smoking just after he lost his adamantium cause he's healing factor was jacked up. Which was a plausible reason to make that change to the character at that time.

And speaking of stupid PC stuff... Uh, aren't they making Marvel Zomibes?! You know, where the main characters DISMEMBERED AND ATE Magneto in the first issue? That's okay...Just as Zombie Wolverine wasn't smoking...okay... that makes sense.

Interesting. All these replies chastising Quesada, yet not one of you responded to any of the issues he raised; that smoking tobacco causes serious health problems, and he didn't want Wolverine to in any way advocate or support that lifestyle.

Did any of you criticizing Quesada actually respond to this point? No. Instead, you expressed outrage, claiming that Quesada has no right to mould Wolverine to suit Quesada's preferences because he doesn't own the character. Excuse me? He was Editor in Chief of Marvel Comics; that means yes, he does get to make Wolverine whatever he wants. You can disagree with what he does, but the idea that you should control Wolverine while the Editor in Chief of Marvel doesn't is inane. If the boss at Marvel doesn't get to decide what Marvel does, why have a boss?

Oh, and then there's Excelsior, protesting that Marvel allows gay relationships but not smoking. Please show me all the statistics where gay relationships have caused people to die from heart and lung problems. Please, share with me how gay relationships cause people to die from health failures, please, explain why gay people are some sort of blight, or maybe just admit that in response to something you didn't like, you decided to reveal your bigotry, prejudice and hatred for difference.

And I have to wonder, why is someone like you even reading an X-MEN comic or anything with an X-MEN character? What do you think "mutant" means? The X-MEN were a parable for tolerance, taking a stand against hate-speech and prejudice. Mutants have become a metaphor for homosexuality; the X-MEN represent the antithesis of your prejudice and fear, so I have to wonder why someone like you would even go near the material in the first place.

Go on. Ban me. Delete this post. After all, your high standards permit gay bashing, certainly, they won't allow something like this message to be tolerated.

Disgusting.

- Ib

Interesting. All these replies chastising Quesada, yet not one of you responded to any of the issues he raised; that smoking tobacco causes serious health problems, and he didn't want Wolverine to in any way advocate or support that lifestyle.

Did any of you criticizing Quesada actually respond to this point? No. Instead, you expressed outrage, claiming that Quesada has no right to mould Wolverine to suit Quesada's preferences because he doesn't own the character. Excuse me? He was Editor in Chief of Marvel Comics; that means yes, he does get to make Wolverine whatever he wants. You can disagree with what he does, but the idea that you should control Wolverine while the Editor in Chief of Marvel doesn't is inane. If the boss at Marvel doesn't get to decide what Marvel does, why have a boss?

Oh, and then there's Excelsior, protesting that Marvel allows gay relationships but not smoking. Please show me all the statistics where gay relationships have caused people to die from heart and lung problems. Please, share with me how gay relationships cause people to die from health failures, please, explain why gay people are some sort of blight, or maybe just admit that in response to something you didn't like, you decided to reveal your bigotry, prejudice and hatred for difference.

And I have to wonder, why is someone like you even reading an X-MEN comic or anything with an X-MEN character? What do you think "mutant" means? The X-MEN were a parable for tolerance, taking a stand against hate-speech and prejudice. Mutants have become a metaphor for homosexuality; the X-MEN represent the antithesis of your prejudice and fear, so I have to wonder why someone like you would even go near the material in the first place.

Go on. Ban me. Delete this post. After all, your high standards permit gay bashing, certainly, they won't allow something like this message to be tolerated.

Disgusting.

- Ib

I smell an agenda. Your first post is in response to a thread that has gone more than five years with no response? Go push your liberal, family destroying, "it's not hurting anyone" garbage elsewhere.

Heh.

Disgusting.

- Ib

shill.jpg

shall-not-shill.jpg

Ok, what about Wolverines drinking problem? Eh?

Any news on this? Smoking not ok, but Drinking is. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Idc, he's still wolverine to me. 27_laughing.gif But he did have that other problem of drinking...

don't forget murder problem he has! Totally needs to go to murder rehab

Strange manner this thread got the five year bump. With that being said, I actually agree with what he said - but I also understand why most others feel differently.

And for Synch - "don't forget murder problem he has! Totally needs to go to murder rehab "

That was actually really funny.