• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Magazine Price Guide

10 posts in this topic

Can someone point me to a good magazine price guide I can buy? Thanks.

I have a stack of these Famous Monster Star Wars Spectaculars from 1977 and I noticed that CGC's census lists the top one as 8.5 (only two slabbed.)

I seriously doubt it's worth it to get the best slabbed anyway (except for Star Wars collectors) but it'd be nice to have a guide like Overstreet's.

Thanks.

(21 Epic Illustrated #1's slabbed with the top being 9.6... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif)

I have a stack of these Famous Monster Star Wars Spectaculars from 1977 and I noticed that CGC's census lists the top one as 8.5 (only two slabbed.)

I seriously doubt it's worth it to get the best slabbed anyway (except for Star Wars collectors) but it'd be nice to have a guide like Overstreet's.

Thanks.

(21 Epic Illustrated #1's slabbed with the top being 9.6... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif)

SCKAO, great to see new faces here.

As for your Star Wars Spectacular are you referring to this book: Famous Monsters Star Wars 1977

If so, then the reason why there are only 2 slabbed may just be because the book hasn't gotten to the point where it is holding strong value. My thoughts would be that there are a large quantity of these out there. Many of the Starwars books were "overproduced". Though if it is this issue, it does have a nice black cover which would make it hard to get Higher Grade issues. This could be your ace card if you truly have some NM copies. Because I'm sure some Warren completionists would be wanting some truly 9.6 copies of this book.

As for magazine price guides there are not too many recent ones that I know of. There was one published in 1988 titled: "The Collector's guide to Monster, science fiction and Fantasy Film Magazines", which has some pretty good info in it. And also a Magazine style one in the mid 90's.

-bounty

SCKAO, great to see new faces here.

As for your Star Wars Spectacular are you referring to this book: Famous Monsters Star Wars 1977

If so, then the reason why there are only 2 slabbed may just be because the book hasn't gotten to the point where it is holding strong value. My thoughts would be that there are a large quantity of these out there. Many of the Starwars books were "overproduced". Though if it is this issue, it does have a nice black cover which would make it hard to get Higher Grade issues. This could be your ace card if you truly have some NM copies. Because I'm sure some Warren completionists would be wanting some truly 9.6 copies of this book.

As for magazine price guides there are not too many recent ones that I know of. There was one published in 1988 titled: "The Collector's guide to Monster, science fiction and Fantasy Film Magazines", which has some pretty good info in it. And also a Magazine style one in the mid 90's.

-bounty

Thanks. I meant this one actually.

http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/large/81185896756.1.gif

81185896756.1.gif

Mile High Comics is selling it for $59.50 in NM which...uh... seems a bit high.

I'm sure there are tons of these sitting around...

Michael Pierce's MONSTERS AMONG US is an excellent resource for monster mags. The first edition came out in 1995 and he updated it some time around 2000. I ffind the prices in the '95 edition still pretty much hold up, though not always. I recommend this book, though, as it pictures the covers of everything listed.

He had planned on doing an horror comic mag book the same way, but I guess that never materialised.

Monsters Among Us website:

http://www.monstersamongus.com/index.cfm?CFID=3066507&CFTOKEN=10132016

Scroll down to "price guides"

Michael Pierce's MONSTERS AMONG US is an excellent resource for monster mags. The first edition came out in 1995 and he updated it some time around 2000. I ffind the prices in the '95 edition still pretty much hold up, though not always. I recommend this book, though, as it pictures the covers of everything listed.

He had planned on doing an horror comic mag book the same way, but I guess that never materialised.

Monsters Among Us website:

http://www.monstersamongus.com/index.cfm?CFID=3066507&CFTOKEN=10132016

Scroll down to "price guides"

Thanks. Unfortunately, the 2nd edition is sold out and the first one from 1995 is now 11 years old.

I'll look for the 2nd edition and keep an eye out for other magazine price guides.. Thanks!

I also found a stack of Galactic Wars, Future World Comix, etc. etc. (I picked up a stash of magazines a couple of years ago and I'm now actually going through them... about 50-60 magazine size boxes I think.)

Yup, the Pierce guide is still the one to go to at this point. Too bad it doesn't cover comics-mags like the Marvel or Eerie Pub ones. One day I may do a monster-mag website similar to the comic-covers one. (Hopefully the Google ad revenue would be worth a little more... yeahok.gif )