• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions regarding art work...

11 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I am unfamiliar with the prices of art work these days. I figured this is the place to ask!

I have some sketches and other pieces here. I was wondering: Does lamination kill the piece? Is it removable without damaging the sketch? Also, does "personalization" afect the price much?

Here's what I have in front of me:

Not laminated or persoalized:

NealAdams3.jpg

Personalized:

NealAdams1.jpg

Laminated and personalized:

NealAdams2.jpg

Kubert1.jpg

All this and more was purchased in an OO colection of books... obviously the guy's name was Stu!

Many cool books, newspaper clippings, mags and other neat stuff came along with it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

John thumbsup2.gif

Hello all,

I am unfamiliar with the prices of art work these days. I figured this is the place to ask!

I have some sketches and other pieces here. I was wondering: Does lamination kill the piece? Is it removable without damaging the sketch? Also, does "personalization" afect the price much?

First let me say...nice pieces! thumbsup2.gif

I have just recently started purchasing OA, so I am really not an expert. But personally, I like the art to be signed by the artist and NOT addressed to anyone (unless it was me). I have turned down a few nice pieces because it was signed to somebody I had no clue who they were.

And as far as lamination, Id prefer it not be simply because I can never really "touch" the actually piece. Same thing with a comic...even if its in a CGC container, I know that if I wanted I can crack the slab and there it is. But with lamination you would probrably hurt the artwork. So to me lamination does kill the piece.

I'd presume that a personalization would slightly devalue the artwork... but IMO it's not a killer.

Here's one I bought from a dealer. Given that Adam's con sketch days are long gone -- and any decent Adam's page is most likely way out of my budget -- I decided I could live with the personalization.

ConanSketchblog.jpg

I have just recently started purchasing OA, so I am really not an expert. But personally, I like the art to be signed by the artist and NOT addressed to anyone (unless it was me). I have turned down a few nice pieces because it was signed to somebody I had no clue who they were.

I actually mention to artists doing commissions for me that they can personalize a piece to me as proof that the piece is for me and for no one else and certainly not for sale. Even offering this to an artist goes a long way to proving you are not a "flipper" and has even convinced artists who "never" do commissions to make an exception in my case....but I see your point.

Chris

Well, Whiz #19 is personalized to a Swayze by CC Beck. Swayze was a cover artist for Fawcett and had done some of the Captain Marvel covers. Would you devalue a GA page because of that? I don't thing so.

whiz_iss_19_oa.jpg

In this case, the personalization is historical. But I would have really hated if it said something like "To John, my favorite Fan -CC Beck" That would have made it less valuable to me but the set value is already there on this piece. There aren't that many Whiz covers around. So, you would take what you get. Now on commission pieces....there are very few, that I would care for personalized. An exception might be that Bolland Joke Piece that someone had commissioned not to long ago. A truly excellent speaks beyond its perceived defects.

Yes,

ditto here, let me know when you want to sell any of those! I'd stay away from laminating them for sure, don't want to chance ruining the art if you want to detach it (if you CAN detach it) in the future).

I like personalizations, it means something to ME, but I suppose it's not AS advisable if you ever plan on selling it in the future...I don't plan on selling any of mine, so no problem....but I'm glad the ones I've purchased weren't all personalized to Chad, Stu, Jim, or whoever for sure, so in that respect I suppose they're more valuable without a personalization for resale purposes! I got lucky a few times when they happened to be personalized in pencil, and had no problem (by altering it) and erasing the guy's name it was personalized to! I suppose the ones in ink you can just use whiteout (like artists do as well on occasion to fiz art) to white out the personalization if it bothers you...any thoughts on the whiteout?

Jeff

Yes,

ditto here, let me know when you want to sell any of those! I'd stay away from laminating them for sure, don't want to chance ruining the art if you want to detach it (if you CAN detach it) in the future).

I like personalizations, it means something to ME, but I suppose it's not AS advisable if you ever plan on selling it in the future...I don't plan on selling any of mine, so no problem....but I'm glad the ones I've purchased weren't all personalized to Chad, Stu, Jim, or whoever for sure, so in that respect I suppose they're more valuable without a personalization for resale purposes! I got lucky a few times when they happened to be personalized in pencil, and had no problem (by altering it) and erasing the guy's name it was personalized to! I suppose the ones in ink you can just use whiteout (like artists do as well on occasion to fiz art) to white out the personalization if it bothers you...any thoughts on the whiteout?

Jeff

Are you THE Jeff Scott of 6th Ave, NY?