• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Percentage of Slabs You Own that Were Bought vs Submitted Yourself

Which of the following best describes the % composition of the slabs you own?  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following best describes the % composition of the slabs you own?

36 posts in this topic

I've subbed a lot more books than I've bought. I've probably bought less than 10 slabbed books, but subbed over 100. However, I've sold a lot of the books I've subbed (and some of the books I bought as slabs). I slab some books specifically to sell, and others for the resto check.

I've submitted over 2000-3000 raw books and have approximately 26,000 raw books. My collection was all slabbed and at it's peak contained about 350-400 books.

I have never sent a book to PGX and have never met Daniel.

Definately buy the majority slabbed. However, there are many books out there that dealers won't slab because their just isn't any return on them. So, that's when I'll send my own sometimes or look for nice looking raw issues that will make the grade.

I've subbed a lot more books than I've bought. I've probably bought less than 10 slabbed books, but subbed over 100. However, I've sold a lot of the books I've subbed (and some of the books I bought as slabs). I slab some books specifically to sell, and others for the resto check.

The resto check is never really an issue with me, but I agree it serves as a confirmation of "health" when the book's provenance is unknown. grin.gif

And to correct my earlier statement, I have kept books that I have slabbed for 3-4 years before selling them . . . it's the intent to sell them that causes me to have them slabbed.

wink.gif

I've submitted over 2000-3000 raw books and have approximately 26,000 raw books. My collection was all slabbed and at it's peak contained about 350-400 books.

hail.gifSimply Amazing, Blazing! hail.gif

And . . . I have actually sold a book raw, had it slabbed by a board member, purchased it back slabbed (when they upgraded), and sold it again to another board member . . . much to the delight of all involved.

Sometimes it's a very small world grin.gif

You're right that slabs are for selling. It's just that I'm not ready yet to sell my collection, so I've been gradually submitting my most valuable raw books in preparation for eventual liquidation - about 80 so far. Being a collector, I've purchased another 250 or so slabs, and still own on the order of 2500 raw books, including just about every Silver and early Bronze Age Marvel Superhero comic. The Bronze books were virtually all bought off the rack back in the day (the 7-11 pedigree? smirk.gif)

I have about 108 slabs and have bought all but three of them. I have some raw books I'd like to submit. I think I'd rather wait and drop them off at a convention, which might make it easier.

I've also never sold a slabbed book, but I have sold some raw books in the past. I like the way a book presents itself in the slab and I mostly have lesser conditioned copies for reading.