• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SILVER AGE COVER WINNERS #35-30

42 posts in this topic

That reminds me, did anyone nominate a Grandinetti graytone? Seems like a glaring oversight if nobody did...
There are NO oversights in this contest. sumo.gif But there are wiseguys poke2.gifinsane.gif

#30.

The comic that tied but edged out Fantastic Four #4. What can anyone say about this cover except...WOW! Steranko in his prime... hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

1171612-nf4.jpg

This comic, as I said, finished with 31 points.

Didnt vote for it, but this is certainly one of the classic poses in comic book history.

#33. Daredevil #43

And next up is #33, one of Kirby's most spectacular covers ever: Daredevil Versus Captain America. The perspective, the poses, the colors, the action, and the promise of an awesome battle about to be waged make this cover stand out. This cover edged Batman #156 out of 33rd place by one vote. Daredevil #43 finished with 27 points, and Batman #156 finished with 26 points.

yay.gif I was responsible for 10 of those points! The more I look at that cover, the more I like it. Always have, always will.

I'm impressed by the variety in the first 5 books. 2 DC war covers (even though I didn't vote for any myself). cloud9.gif

Mica and Comicbookguy, great job!

#34. Batman 156 - Receiving 26 points

batman.jpg

[Could Robin actually be dead?

An image that may be commonplace in today's comics this must have been

unthinkable to readers seeing the cover for the first time.

A great and striking cover, Batman 156 draws you in to see what indeed happened to Robin.

Batman usually looks grim but this cover adds to that uncertainty that he must be feeling.

This got one of my votes. I need to find this issue. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Are you saying that you have one you want to sell?

#30.

The comic that tied but edged out Fantastic Four #4. What can anyone say about this cover except...WOW! Steranko in his prime... hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

1171612-nf4.jpg

This comic, as I said, finished with 31 points.

Didnt vote for it, but this is certainly one of the classic poses in comic book history.

I have to agree with that - Nick Fury! Protecting America! sumo.gif

batman.jpg

A great and striking cover, Batman 156 draws you in to see what indeed happened to Robin.

Batman usually looks grim but this cover adds to that uncertainty that he must be feeling.

No I was trying to fix the image.

Sure love that DD 43. Classic Kirby with two great characters. Probably some of my favorite covers of DD are in the 30s and 40s.

Pat

As someone else said DD 43 is one of Kirby's best EVER covers. 893applaud-thumb.gif.

Sure love that DD 43. Classic Kirby with two great characters. Probably some of my favorite covers of DD are in the 30s and 40s.

Pat

As someone else said DD 43 is one of Kirby's best EVER covers. 893applaud-thumb.gif.

But it only received a total of 27 points, 10 of which were mine. So there were only 17 points from the other 63 voters. frown.gif

Pat

But it only received a total of 27 points, 10 of which were mine. So there were only 17 points from the other 63 voters. frown.gif

I had it in #3 on my list, so there's another 8 points. So apart from the two of us, there were 9 points spread between the remaining 61 voters.

What were they all thinking? confused-smiley-013.gif

Pat

I had it in #3 on my list, so there's another 8 points. So apart from the two of us, there were 9 points spread between the remaining 61 voters.

guess they were all too busy voting for Hulk battle covers! confused-smiley-013.gif

Pat

That's just it...we were thinking! poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif

Pat

Like I said, I think i nominated this one (though I may not have been the only one), but when it came to vote it didn't quite make the cut. I think it's a great Kirby cover, but in some ways I think it's too simple and traditional - two superheroes simply battling it out. Kirby did that sort of thing so well, so effortlessly, that I think a lot of us take it for granted. So though it may be a great, classic, iconic cover, it's not especially innovative and, being a mid-run DD issue, lacks "key" appeal. confused-smiley-013.gif

it's not especially innovative and, being a mid-run DD issue, lacks "key" appeal. confused-smiley-013.gif

Not innovative? Check out the perspective! hail.gif

I don't recall seeing another cover atempt this sort of non-eye level perspective before this one... confused-smiley-013.gif

Pat

guess they were all too busy voting for Hulk battle covers! confused-smiley-013.gif

acclaim.gif

it's not especially innovative and, being a mid-run DD issue, lacks "key" appeal. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't recall seeing another cover atempt this sort of non-eye level perspective before this one... confused-smiley-013.gif

yeah, well...at least the story is good, even if the rationale for the fight is kind of stupid

No I was trying to fix the image.

Ah, Just trying to show your copy off?

Actually this cover reminded me of Captain America 106 where Cap is fighting a clone of himself/Steve Rogers.

I think some Marvel fans felt slightly guilty in voting a straight ticket and ended up throwing a couple of lower votes to a DC or GoldKey, when they might have voted for DD.

I didn't vote for DD but it is a great cover.

Actually this cover reminded me of Captain America 106 where Cap is fighting a clone of himself/Steve Rogers.

I think some Marvel fans felt slightly guilty in voting a straight ticket and ended up throwing a couple of lower votes to a DC or GoldKey, when they might have voted for DD.

I didn't vote for DD but it is a great cover.

27_laughing.gif Yeah, that's pretty close! Actually, i couldn't decide between this DD cover and the one with Thor.