• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SILVER AGE COVER WINNERS #7

19 posts in this topic

#7. Flash #123

For those of you hoping for a Marvel sweep of the top ten, sorry, but it's not going to happen. sorry.gif

Our next winner is a popular issue that finished with a whopping 82 points. An impressive showing for one of these Silver Age DC's that many have already said they don't care for.

Jayman made the following comment about this cover on his ballot: "Classic cover showing the new and old Flash at what they do best, being heroes! The design of this cover works so well it has been imitated by many an artist."

Here it is in all its 7.0 glory:

1174377-Flash-123-70.jpg

1174377-Flash-123-70.jpg.1f0bb9ec0cef8df5aa02f7b954ed12b5.jpg

Not looking good for Star Spangled War Stories 138...

But I voted for this one. I'm thinking I voted for at least three of the upcoming top six too (all Marvels).

Marc

no Showcase 79?

893whatthe.gif

boo.gifboo.gifboo.gifboo.gifboo.gif

no Showcase 79?

893whatthe.gif

Care to put any money on it being there? devil.gif

i guess i can see how CBG's post could be interpreted that there would still be DCs left, just not ones he voted for.

let's hope so. for the sake of all humanity

But I voted for this one. I'm thinking I voted for at least three of the upcoming top six too (all Marvels).

Marc

no Showcase 79?

893whatthe.gif

I really wanted to vote for Showcase 79 (in fact before I found these boards I thought I was the only one who knew about that cover) but it got edged out on my list. Top 15 for me though.

Marc

Marc

no Showcase 79?

893whatthe.gif

I really wanted to vote for Showcase 79 (in fact before I found these boards I thought I was the only one who knew about that cover) but it got edged out on my list. Top 15 for me though.

Marc

bah! i curse your name!

even though it's the same as mine. hopefully, whomever answers these things won't get us confused

Not one of my favorite Flash covers. Yeah, i know it's a "classic" image, but this has "key" cover bump all over it. confused-smiley-013.gif

No doubt. This image sticks in people's brains because of the story and because it's a key, not because it's particularly eye-catching.

It does touch the story pretty well. I'll give it that.

DCs r still teh awesomes.

this has "key" cover bump all over it. confused-smiley-013.gif

So do most of these covers. FF 12 and Avengers 4 are top 15 based on artistic merit? Not a chance.

That's why it's "favorites".... How lucky for most of us that so many "Key" issues have found their place in our fond memories.

Wheras the first appearance of Mary Jane (ASM42) is considered a Key but I have no fond memories of it whatsoever. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think this was my #1 - I can't put it into words, but this cover just does it for me. It might be that, more than any other book, this cover really makes me want to read the story. I can imagine being a kid - with no idea of the GA DC world - and seeing this on the newsstand and saying, "What the hell?!? I've gotta read that"

Maybe only rivaled in that aspect by Spidey 50.

The other stuff may have great art (don't get me wrong, I love Anderson) or be more action packed (we all know Hulk & Thing will trade blows and then move on), but this epitomizes what a cover should be.

I'm actually surprised this and Avengers 4 aren't in the top 3.

And here's a better pic (if anybody wants the huge one just check here )

1174514-flash1239-4a.JPG

1174514-flash1239-4a.JPG.919884ec62a817e8f5381a41a63aaaaa.JPG

I think this was my #1 - I can't put it into words, but this cover just does it for me. It might be that, more than any other book, this cover really makes me want to read the story. I can imagine being a kid - with no idea of the GA DC world - and seeing this on the newsstand and saying, "What the hell?!? I've gotta read that"

Maybe only rivaled in that aspect by Spidey 50.

The other stuff may have great art (don't get me wrong, I love Anderson) or be more action packed (we all know Hulk & Thing will trade blows and then move on), but this epitomizes what a cover should be.

I'm actually surprised this and Avengers 4 aren't in the top 3.

And here's a better pic (if anybody wants the huge one just check here )

1174514-flash1239-4a.JPG

as a kid of 12-13 when this hit the newstands (and a bit of a Flash fan already - remember there were no marvel super heroes) i can concur with buttocks that this cover hit me like a ton of bricks when i first saw it.

we were aware of the previous DC heroes of the 40's but had no idea this was about to explode on the comic scene and be the precursor for the multiple earths storyline that eventually reintroduced just about every DC (and other publisher's) pre-war heroes...........

it's artistic merits may be debated, but as i have said often in the past, this cover was voted the best of 1960 in Alter Ego # 4.............

and, yes, i voted for it at #1............ cloud9.gif