• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SILVER AGE COVER WINNERS #5

43 posts in this topic

Spider-Man sucks.

There, I said it.

poke2.gif

Rob, I would normally totally agree with you, but it ended up being my #2 pick. 893whatthe.gif Joe has already posted my commentary, but to further elaborate, once I turned off my anti-Spidey filters, I realized this cover deserved a very high placing.

I wasn't even commenting on the cover. I just wanted to get in my jabs at captain whinesalot thumbsup2.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

I find Silver Age Spider-man basically unreadable because of the incessant whining. I know lots of people eat up the teen angst, I'm just not one of them. I tried to re-read 1-20 through the essentials series a couple of years ago and it was a chore to finish them.

This doesn't really showcase what he can do. Swing on a rope?

I'd pick ASM 6, 7, 14, 23, 28, 39, 40, 50, etc before this - at least on artistic merits. And one of my long-term goals is to buy an AF15 makepoint.gif

It's a cool book in the history of comics, but it doesn't make my top 25-35 SA covers. confused-smiley-013.gif

and this is what defines "favorite" covers - it's all about what you like. while we agreed on the Flash #123, we disagree here. this cover was number 11 on my list and just missed out be included............

it almost just doesn't get anymore important than this book and IMHO the cover is rather striking................ thumbsup2.gif

I find Silver Age Spider-man basically unreadable because of the incessant whining.

You're missing the point about why they are popular with board members. devil.gif

I find Silver Age Spider-man basically unreadable because of the incessant whining.

You're missing the point about why they are popular with board members. devil.gif

27_laughing.gif. I did't want to be the one to say it...

893whatthe.gif

893whatthe.gif

With that little jab, I must note that I love the first 50 or so issues of Spiderman. crazy.gif

893whatthe.gif

With that little jab, I must note that I love the first 50 or so issues of Spiderman. crazy.gif

Me aside, you're not alone.

Does Superman 14 showcase what Superman can do? Stand on two legs and hold a bird? Just teasing.

Cheers,

Marc

Just to follow this up, Superman 14 stands out as a "snapshot in time" cover. Possibly moreso than ANY other GA cover, this epitomizes "the Comic Book's" involvement in US society of that era. You have THE superhero of the time (of all time?), during possibly the most patriotic (sentiment wise) period in US history short of the revolution, standing in front of a US symbol holding a bald eagle. Throw in the military items in the background and you can sum up the best of the GA in one cover.

This cover embodied patriotism, hope, victory - and did it months after the US became involved in the conflict. It could be looked at as THE cover that kicked off the best of the GA with the best of the GA heroes.

What this cover symbolized outside of the comic itself is what makes it so great, and although I realize you were semi-joking, AF 15 just shows a guy swinging on a rope holding a criminal. There's no real "outside" value to it.

Just my $0.02.

#5. Amazing Fantasy #15

Hard to say if this is now The Ultimate Silver Age Grail. Used to be Fantastic Four #1 for Marvel, but this is either #1 or #2 for most desired Marvel book. And deservedly so. Absolutely killer cover, story, and art -- for its day and for all time. When this was replicated for Amazing Spider-man #252, it was just as hot. But do I really need to talk this book up? No way. It speaks for itself.

Nevertheless, I would like to share Tim's (tth2's) comments on this cover: "This was a big shocker for me, as I'd seen it for so many years that I really didn't even see it anymore. But as I studied it anew for this contest, my appreciation for the simple, yet dynamic lines, was renewed. This is the Kirby cover which looks the least like Kirby, and yet it works (perhaps because of it's non-Kirby-ness, because Spidey was never a character that suited Kirby's style). There's a tendency for some (including myself) to downplay keys in this kind of contest because we try to separate "significance" from "artistic beauty". But sometimes a key cover reaches iconic status because it really is a great cover, and shouldn't be penalized for gracing an important comic."

This cover finished with 93 points.

1174440-AmazingFantasy-15-94%28WM%29.jpg

How much is that White Mountain copy worth and who own it mad.gif