• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective #27 or Action #1?

40 posts in this topic

Isnt that Marvel pulp the actual FIRST appearance of the word "Marvel"??? But is it really a "Marvel" published book? or just an interesting predecessor of Timely/Marvel?

I am not sure if it is ' "really a "Marvel" published book" ' but I do know that the logo design that was used on "Marvel Comics" was the same graphic design that was used on the "Marvel" pulp... wink.gif

It was Four Color #9 right? The original Holy Grail Comic Book of early fandom!!

At least Four Color #9 is still a treasured book by duck collectors and guides for $12,000.

How about this one? Feature Books #26- Hal Foster Prince Valiant strip reprints. In the earliest days of fandom that was the book to have. I don't have the specifics, but I remember reading an article where it was pointed out that if you purchased it at its height of popularity you probably still haven't made you money back in terms of condition guide value and that was over 30 years ago. It guides for $1050 today.

Marvel #1 is not only significant because of the 1st appearances. Those are important certainly, but beyond that, Marvel #1 is seen as being the birth of the whole Marvel Universe.
this one is for the silver surfer (thumbs u

lol Can`t believe you resurrected a thread with a title like this! You want Carey to start going all postal on you now?

Quick, start a new thread titled "[Obscure Centaur That Only 3 Collectors in the Whole World Care About ] #3 or [Equally Obscure Fox That Not Even Those 3 Collectors Care About] #7?"

Marvel #1 is not only significant because of the 1st appearances. Those are important certainly, but beyond that, Marvel #1 is seen as being the birth of the whole Marvel Universe.

:(

:(

:foryou:

Action 1 will always be special for what it is--1st Superhero in comics...I think it comes down to if you are a Bat or Supe fan and what you can find and "afford" :P I would take the Tec 27 over a A1 cuz I'm a Bat fan.

Action 1 will always be special for what it is--1st Superhero in comics...I think it comes down to if you are a Bat or Supe fan and what you can find and "afford" :P I would take the Tec 27 over a A1 cuz I'm a Bat fan.

I've been a little back and forth on this one for years.

Good arguments could be made for either side but I believe that due to the current state that the character of Superman is in, major changes would need to be made if Action #1 hopes to hold the top-spot in the long run; either that or they would need to majorly fail with the character of Batman.

It seems as though DC has done well with their recent portrayals of Batman: in film, in the comics, marketing, etc. While the same cannot be said for Superman. That is not to say the character has been a failure in every aspect as that would be absurd...but the fact of the matter is that it appears that DC has been struggling to keep the Superman character as relevant in recent years as he was decades ago.

I started a thread a little while back comparing the covers of of Superman #700 and Batman #700 and that pretty much sums of the issue.

I think in a way, comparing Action #1 to Detective #27 is kind of like comparing Fantastic Four #1 to Amazing Fantasy #15.

For years FF #1 was more valuable than AF #15 despite the fact that Spiderman was still the more popular character. I'm sure rarity played a big factor in that but believe that FF #1 "coming first" and being the "older" of the two books impacted its higher value for a number of years. Over time, that obviously changed and the more popular character's first appearence saw a greater surge in value increase.

Flash back to this debate...

One must think to themselves, why is Action #1 generally considered to be more valuable?

The character isn't as popular, isn't as successful, yet despite the love for the character of Batman, Superman (at least as far as Action #1 is concerned) still holds the top spot regardless.

My theory is that the generations of people who grew up loving Superman during decades in which he was THE #1 character are now many of the more wealthy collectors who possess the greater degree of spending power.

Batman has seen an increase in popularity a great deal over the past three decades. Many of those collectors who grew up loving Batman when he became the #1 character (or at least interchangeable with Spiderman) are yet to have that same degree of spending power.

When they become the ones with the greater spending power, do you think that generation will continue to invest more into a character for which they didn't enjoy more growing up while the generation that did would be at that point...likely past their collecting years?

I think it's likely that we will eventually see a shift; even if it's to a slight extent in which the degrees of disparity become reversed.

Action #1 today...Tec #27 down the road (although I could always change my mind tomorrow). (thumbs u

I would rather have 'Tec #27 over Action #1. I think I'd rather have #29, 31 or 33 over Action #1 as well(though a nice Action #1 could finance a decent pre-Robin 'Tec run).

I would rather have 'Tec #27 over Action #1. I think I'd rather have #29, 31 or 33 over Action #1 as well(though a nice Action #1 could finance a decent pre-Robin 'Tec run).

Hey, I know someone who owns a Tec #33!

Too bad he's a tad bit in love with it. :cloud9:

lol Can`t believe you resurrected a thread with a title like this! You want Carey to start going all postal on you now?

Quick, start a new thread titled "[Obscure Centaur That Only 3 Collectors in the Whole World Care About ] #3 or [Equally Obscure Fox That Not Even Those 3 Collectors Care About] #7?"

Hey...watch what you say... (tsk)

There are more Centaur collector's than you think here on these Boards...

Centaur's are more important to Comics than you realize evidently...

I appreciate all comics....and Centaurs are very much at or near the top of my list, and near the top for many other knowledgeable collector's too...

I appreciate all comics....and Centaurs are very much at or near the top of my list, and near the top for many other knowledgeable collector's too...

Dude, relax. I`m just poking fun at Centaurs because Carey collects Centaurs.

(thumbs u

yup, he and Bunky Brian.

yup, he and Bunky Brian.

and me:

AmazingMan14.jpg

yup, he and Bunky Brian.

and me:

AmazingMan14.jpg

:o

yup, he and Bunky Brian.

and me:

AmazingMan14.jpg

See, I was correct about there being only 3 collectors! :grin:

Nice book, George. Very cool cover.