• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OA collecting - how big is the hobby, really?

97 posts in this topic

Let me start by saying this has nothing to do with $$$ or investment potential.....

I've been looking through the CAF galleries for some time...there are some really amazing pieces on there, and the size and quality of some of the collections is just mind-blowing. But for every amazing cover/splash I see, half a dozen other similar published pieces come to mind(same artist, series, etc..) that I've never seen. For older art, there is always the question as to whether or not the piece still exists, but most of the mainstream art from the last 30 years AT LEAST must be somwhere. And even if you only count covers/splashes, and popular artists, that's still A LOT of art.

So my question is, where is it? With comics, we know that there are a few collectors who own a substantial amount of the "big books" in the hobby, so is that also true with art? And how common is it for the artists themselves to keep their own art? Despite the many galleries and personal websites where collectors showcase their pieces, are the majority of collectors out there much more private about what they own?

I realize there are no concrete answers to these questions, since the true scope of what is out there and who owns what cannot be fully known, but any comments based on your experiences and interactions with other collectors would be apreciated.

Most of the old mainstream art doesn't exist anywhere. Pre-1970's most of it was destroyed, usually right after it was through the production process. There were some companies that made exceptions. That's why you see very little DC before a certain year, but practically everything from EC is around.

People like me who love to display our collections are the exception. The vast majority seem to think that showing art somehow lowers its value or don't display it for other reasons.

I have it from at least one source I trust that there are big time players in the hobby who only deal with each other and never show anything.

It is fairly rare for artists to hoard their own work. Some like, Frank Cho, do, but most see it as a major source of income.

The vast majority seem to think that showing art somehow lowers its value or don't display it for other reasons.

I can almost understand this mentality. The fact that I started this thread shows my intrigue with the stuff I can't see.

Do you think it also has to do with these collectors not wanting to be hounded with offers?

I agree with Robert. There are some old time collectors that keep things tighter than security as Roswell.....Bechara has a tremendous collection, but doesn't show it off.....I know of a few pieces that he has that are amazing.....Tom Horvitz is another....He has the Superman 233, the cover to FF 100 and many others that I'm just forgeting....

I don't buy the argument that people don't want to be hounded with offers....If someone asks about a piece, then either say "no thanks"....or just ignore the email....

I love the fact that Stephen Fishler, Albert Moy, Eric Roberts, Hari Nadiu, Lambert Sheng and a few others who's collections I hail.gif feel comfortable in displaying and sharing it....Where would the Louve be if they kept stuff hidden for most and only shared it with one or two people a year ?!

I agree with this too. I'm certainly grateful to be able to view these pieces, but as I just mentioned to you via PM, there's a part of me that wants to keep things private. Couldn't really tell you why.....

I can see how people wanna keep things private since they don't wanna be hounded with offers only to regret selling it.

That's definitely one potential reason.

Another reason maybe that it is to respect the seller or donor's wishes. I have a couple of pieces where the artist didn't want them seen by the general public because he didn't want to be pestered by other people. I've also received a piece from another collecter with the proviso that it not be publicly displayed and that's fine by me.

There may also be "strategic reasons"

Eg - I'm trying to put together an issue of Crisis and already have 80% of the pages, if I displayed them all in the CAF it might well attract attention which could be good, but equally a collector in possession of one of the missing pages might insist that he's only going to trade for my Dark Knight page. It might sound cynical but I've seen similar things happen.

Joseph

That dosen't sound cynical, it's very logical actually. Strategy plays a part in collecting, especially with a tough hobby like this one.

Hey Mike, don't forget also that Albert Moy and Steven Fishler make their living in thr comic and art business. Showcasing their collections is good publicity.

Just some of my observations:

So my question is, where is it? With comics, we know that there are a few collectors who own a substantial amount of the "big books" in the hobby, so is that also true with art?

I know of two art dealers that have 3(one has 2, the other has 1) complete PREACHER issues in thier collections. Thier is no hint of this if you look at thier sites or collections on CAF. Knowing this, I have no doubt that many more complete books are in collections that no one knows about.

And how common is it for the artists themselves to keep their own art?

Some sell all, some keep all, some sell part and save part. The reasons are as varied as the artists themselves.

Despite the many galleries and personal websites where collectors showcase their pieces, are the majority of collectors out there much more private about what they own?.

Privacy, time constraints, no image( confused-smiley-013.gif ), unaware of a community. I collected for 8+years before I joined any 'community', although I did build a small site with TRIPOD, but dont know how much traffic it got. I'll never forget one of my first interactions on these boards. Shortly after I began posting(with less than 10 postcount), another member wrote and said, "Hey, your that guy thats always outbids me on the preacher pages", "yep" acclaim.gif

done rambling now,

Mike

A lot of the folks with the money to buy the art can do so only because they are working and don't have time to sit and take pictures and post them. I doubt Fishler does all of the scanning and posting of his art collection.

Also, the the internet and cheap/easy digital imaging is still relatively new. If you were collecting for 20-30 years prior to the net without posting your art it's a big change to start doing so.

I'm also curious if anyone who posts here knows whether or not the first 39 ASM covers exist as well as the very early FF covers. I heard George Lucas and Steven Spielberg have impressive collections which have been locked away for years - might they have some of those cover?

I know there are some early ASM covers out there...The 39 and 40 were recently sold (within last 2 yrs) but other than that, I'm not sure. I know there are more knowledgable people out here that may know....Hari, Stephen (both) , Dan F., Chris C. , etc.....

I know there are some early ASM covers out there...The 39 and 40 were recently sold (within last 2 yrs) but other than that, I'm not sure. I know there are more knowledgable people out here that may know....Hari, Stephen (both) , Dan F., Chris C. , etc.....

I know the #11 and #28 are in a private collection, having semi-recently changed hands. The #31 was on ebay a while back. I'm sure there are others, but those are the three that first popped to mind.