• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A note on selling and buying here

131 posts in this topic

During my last marketplace post, I had several people back out on books they had already agreed to buy which ended up costing me several hundred dollars in lost sales. Not cool. I sell here to AVOID eBay headaches, not to spend days scanning and answering PMs only to have someone back out. Not only is it a total waste of my time, but it prevents other people from buying the books that were "spoken" for. Part of what makes this place special is that people treat each other with respect. I have had things come up in the past that made me regret centain purchases, but I made good on them anyway because that's what you do when you give your word. Hopefully these were isolated incidents, but it's garbage like this that can totally ruin a great buying and selling community.

End of Rant.

People need to understand, the board is only as good as the members make it. The common thought passed around here that all board members are on the up & up & excellent graders is slightly off to say the least. If people are not held accountable for their actions then this board will end up being a worse market than ebay. I'm sure some were people you considered friends, but friends don't stiff friends.

Provide names or they will never learn!

During my last marketplace post, I had several people back out on books they had already agreed to buy which ended up costing me several hundred dollars in lost sales. Not cool.

I agree with you 100%. If a person commits to the buy they should follow thru......no backing out afterwards, buy the book and flip it if you must.

Provide names or they will never learn!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif That's not a bad idea. Not a "Hall of Shame" type thing, just a "Forum Members who have backed out" list.........would cause some to think twice before doing so. Perhaps make this known in all future sales threads. confused-smiley-013.gif

You could call it something nice like "Forum Moon-Walkers". devil.gif

Andy,

Sorry to hear that people are backing out or slow to pay. So far, my deals have gone smoothly. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

But, I echo boomtown's sentiments; if you as a buyer don't agree with someone's grading, then you should speak up. I would hope that every seller would provide either a refund or work with the buyer to make the deal right.

I don't know about what others think but personally I think that other people on here should know who is backing out of these deals.

Everyone here knows that we out scammers and non payers on ebay so why should it be any different here?

Sure, we have the kudos section, but why not have an antikudos. Make it so that people will know if they just kind of say I will take it, it might come back to haunt them. Buying and selling is serious so someone should follow through on buying or selling.

We wouldn't buy and not expect something to be shipped.

We wouldn't buy and not expect to pay.

We wouldn't sell and not expect to ship something.

We wouldn't sell and not expect to be paid.

i backed out of one purchase I made... this was on a buy from the Beyonder where I had discovered I already had the books... I still offered to buy the books though. In general, I agree with the philosophy that the bid is an obligation to buy, and unless something extraordinary happens (which I totally understand), then I hope people follow through...

On the other hand, only one person backed out on a purchase -- and they had a really, really good reason for doing so.

I'll come forward and state that I semi-backed out of a SINGLE purchase on here, but this was due to requested back cover scans outlining moderate foxing, which took them out of consideration.

Otherwise, I've bought everything.

I backed out of a purchase from jonenock a few months ago due to my engine blowing and having to drop 4k on a new one. He was more than understanding.

I backed out of a purchase from jonenock a few months ago due to my engine blowing and having to drop 4k on a new one. He was more than understanding.

I completely forgot. Of course, that situation is completely understandable. What can you do when your car blows up? confused-smiley-013.gif