• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A note on selling and buying here

131 posts in this topic

I backed out of a purchase from jonenock a few months ago due to my engine blowing and having to drop 4k on a new one. He was more than understanding.

I completely forgot. Of course, that situation is completely understandable. What can you do when your car blows up? confused-smiley-013.gif

Drop 4k like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person foreheadslap.gif or go buy a new one on payments like a sane person should have tonofbricks.gif

Wow that sucks! That would [embarrassing lack of self control] me off tremendously if that was done to me.

Especially because they could have been sold to someone else or you had made plans for the money after they agreed to buy the books.

I actually had the reverse I paid for a book 1350.00 and the guy refunded my money?

I have - like all of us in the Marketplace - pulled the trigger a little too hastily on a few 'I'll take it's'

However, I always follow through. So far, of all the forumites I've dealt with, no one has backed out, but typically most of my sales have gone to 'playas' here on the boards - guys who put comics first, and horsesh-it last.

Sorry to hear about that Andy. My suggestion, PM the people who want to back out and - unless there are real reasons they can't pay - say you're going to name them. Then, cheerfully accept their paypal.

Shep

I have - like all of us in the Marketplace - pulled the trigger a little too hastily on a few 'I'll take it's'

However, I always follow through. So far, of all the forumites I've dealt with, no one has backed out, but typically most of my sales have gone to 'playas' here on the boards - guys who put comics first, and horsesh-it last.

Sorry to hear about that Andy. My suggestion, PM the people who want to back out and - unless there are real reasons they can't pay - say you're going to name them. Then, cheerfully accept their paypal.

Shep

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

During my last marketplace post, I had several people back out on books they had already agreed to buy which ended up costing me several hundred dollars in lost sales. Not cool. I sell here to AVOID eBay headaches, not to spend days scanning and answering PMs only to have someone back out. Not only is it a total waste of my time, but it prevents other people from buying the books that were "spoken" for. Part of what makes this place special is that people treat each other with respect. I have had things come up in the past that made me regret centain purchases, but I made good on them anyway because that's what you do when you give your word. Hopefully these were isolated incidents, but it's garbage like this that can totally ruin a great buying and selling community.

End of Rant.

That BS ain't cool. OUT THEM! mad.gif

During my last marketplace post, I had several people back out on books they had already agreed to buy which ended up costing me several hundred dollars in lost sales. Not cool. I sell here to AVOID eBay headaches, not to spend days scanning and answering PMs only to have someone back out. Not only is it a total waste of my time, but it prevents other people from buying the books that were "spoken" for. Part of what makes this place special is that people treat each other with respect. I have had things come up in the past that made me regret centain purchases, but I made good on them anyway because that's what you do when you give your word. Hopefully these were isolated incidents, but it's garbage like this that can totally ruin a great buying and selling community.

End of Rant.

"books"

That's more than one.

If there is a multi-offender they should be outed. sumo.gif

End of Rant.

"books"

That's more than one.

If there is a multi-offender they should be outed. sumo.gif

One thing that has always bothered me about this forum is that people want to see blood. Sure, there are some slackers here on the board that back out on deals, and that's not cool, but to just go and "out them" is not so cool either, unless it is a repeated violation. Irresponsibility bugs me just as much as anybody, but naming names usually does not accomplish anything. Rather, the names of the "winners" of books sold in Marketplace should be listed in the thread (if seller is so inclined) which will put a little pressure on the buyer if he is thinking about backing out. If he does back out, the book will be available again and it will be obvious who backed out without actually having "outed" anyone. This is often done already anyway when people do the " takeit.gif" thing, but for books claimed through a PM, all the seller needs to do is state who reserved the book in the thread and it's now been made public. Hey, we know who buys what on Ebay, no reason to keep secrets here.

Definately not cool to do. I put the value of the circle of trust here above eBay and have never not followed through on a transaction.

I agree with everything you said. We have a kudos thread where we praise people for great transactions. I hope we never have to have a POS thread where we have to exspunge deadbeats.

I didn't have a definative 'yes' on this, so it's not exactly the same, but...

Had a boarder send me a list of 50+ books, got me to scan over 20 of them (front and back), and we got to a fair price...

And then he didn't buy any of them because he'd 'spent too much money with someone else'....

frustrated.gif

Had a boarder send me a list of 50+ books, got me to scan over 20 of them (front and back), and we got to a fair price...

And then he didn't buy any of them because he'd 'spent too much money with someone else'....

frustrated.gif

27_laughing.gif

Out them...this type cr@pol@ will continue unless there's some threat of repercussion for failing to meet their obligations. What incentive do they have for not going through with a deal? Nothing as long as the deal stays under wraps...

People should be held responsible for their actions. Has nothing to do with wanting to see blood and everything to do with holding people accountable and alleviating grief for other Forum sellers...

Jim

frustrated.gif

I feel your pain tongue.gif

insane.gif