• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lexington, KY Show

12 posts in this topic

Lexington hosted it's first con in a long long time. Two small rooms in the sheraton was the place to be. About 10 or so dealers with alot of $1.00 stuff, toys, so decent bronze and of course the guest of honor Robert Kirkman. Talked to forumite Bigmike for a while while waiting for kirkman to show up. Talked to the promoter for a bit, nice guy and he was impressed with the turnout as the people there were spending. I guess they were so happy to see a con, that they wanted to dump some cash.

I picked up some odds and ends (don't even remember a day later what i got) oh yea, now i remember, picked up a midgrade warlock 30center and .. [embarrassing lack of self control] forgot already, getting old.

About 11:50 i pull out my 30 kirkman books and put them on the table he will be sitting at. The line starts to form behind me and the promoter was talking about the fact he hadn't contacted kirkman in a week. oh boy here we go. 12:10, i see a guy with a beard holding a box walking in. All the line newbs were oblivious as i was proclaiming "kirkman is here!" Half wouldn't know him from moses. Kirkman started unloading the trades he brough and whammo out comes the Walking Dead hardcover. He was shocked i wanted it and said he should have brought more. Whats a hundred bucks for a great hardcover that was signed and he even drew a really bad zombie.

Anyway 30 sigs and a hardcover later, i was on my way home giddy about the dayton show the next day.

Yep -- Lexington was pretty good for a small one day show -- I know that I had`nt set up at or knew about in probably 5 years or so . Big kudo`s to Pirate for the Red Sonja`s yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif --- but the best thing ( besides the con itself) was the group across the hallway -- it was a luncheon hosted by the ladies in the Red Hat Society and their entertainment was an Elvis impersonator !!!!!!!! Elvis rocked and rolled those ladies like a madman ..... you just had to see it .So at the next Lexington show i think my friend Marc is going to have an impersonator as special guest --- I ,BigMike, will be appearing as Meatloaf and then encoring as Chris Farley ..................... sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

Lexington hosted it's first con in a long long time. Two small rooms in the sheraton was the place to be. About 10 or so dealers with alot of $1.00 stuff, toys, so decent bronze and of course the guest of honor Robert Kirkman. ....

AAUUGGHH!

The first comics show in Lexington in 5 years (I think it might be longer) happens while I'm gone!!

Without me there the dealers probably had to carry their quarter bins home untouched. I may have even ventured into the buck boxes. Nothing like being able to buy a comic book that you can actually see -- and not pay shipping!

How was the turnout? Is there a chance that it will be worth doing again this year or next?

Did you know that the Explorium is having a comic-book convention Oct 28?

Pirate, are you from Lexington?

Jack

Lexington hosted it's first con in a long long time. Two small rooms in the sheraton was the place to be. About 10 or so dealers with alot of $1.00 stuff, toys, so decent bronze and of course the guest of honor Robert Kirkman. ....

AAUUGGHH!

The first comics show in Lexington in 5 years (I think it might be longer) happens while I'm gone!!

Without me there the dealers probably had to carry their quarter bins home untouched. I may have even ventured into the buck boxes. Nothing like being able to buy a comic book that you can actually see -- and not pay shipping!

How was the turnout? Is there a chance that it will be worth doing again this year or next?

Did you know that the Explorium is having a comic-book convention Oct 28?

Pirate, are you from Lexington?

Jack

turnout was great for the show size -- and yes there will be another in the future . A rep from the Explorium came by the show and talked to Marc the promoter of this show and I believe that he is actually going to help them with the show in october ( organizing the dealers room primarily ) --BigMike sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

turnout was great for the show size -- and yes there will be another in the future . A rep from the Explorium came by the show and talked to Marc the promoter of this show and I believe that he is actually going to help them with the show in october ( organizing the dealers room primarily )

Good news all around!

Does Marc manage one of the shops in Lexington?

If you're coming back after the end of May, don't forget the cheapo bins!

Jack

turnout was great for the show size -- and yes there will be another in the future . A rep from the Explorium came by the show and talked to Marc the promoter of this show and I believe that he is actually going to help them with the show in october ( organizing the dealers room primarily )

Good news all around!

Does Marc manage one of the shops in Lexington?

If you're coming back after the end of May, don't forget the cheapo bins!

Jack

Marc is from Nashville as am I - BigMike -...... sumo.gifsumo.gif

don't think the guy was local.

I live 30 miles south of lexington in a hamlet named berea

I've heard of it!

Aside from hiking the mountain, I saw Queen Ida (zydeco) and Roald Hoffman (Nobel Prize-winning chemist) there.

Not as a duet.

Jack

don't think the guy was local.

I live 30 miles south of lexington in a hamlet named berea

I've heard of it!

Aside from hiking the mountain, I saw Queen Ida (zydeco) and Roald Hoffman (Nobel Prize-winning chemist) there.

Not as a duet.

Jack [/quote

Sweet!!! Extended Hückel method Hoffman!!! That's so cool!

Alright, enough nerding out by me for now headbang.gif.