• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finally - After 20 Years!

27 posts in this topic

It was in the autumn of 1985 when I bought my first cache of DC ashcans. The fact that they weren't in the Guide then didn't bother me - except that I had to pay a price based more on my own desires than facts. Since that day it's been my ultimate collecting goal to see them listed in Overstreet.

Well, today I can finally announce that my campaign is over.

All my DC ashcans (and others as well) are listed in the new edition of the Guide! No longer are they just cool "comic book collectibles" - they're real comic books! Overstreet's seal of approval validates what many of us have known for years: these historic issues are the actual first editions that feature some of the most important pop culture icons in the world. They are pop culture artifacts of the first order.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this with you because you can appreciate my joy. My wife is happy for me in a bemused way. My kids think I'm whacked. And to my co-workers I'm just the weird old guy with all the cool stuff in his office. But here I'm among friends who can congratulate me and be happy for me.

Special thanks to Tom Gordon who was the catalyst that made this all happen. Thanks also to Jeff Vaughn and, of course, Bob Overstreet, Steve Geppi and John Snyder.

In the immortal words of Bill Gaines: HOO-HAH!

That's terrific! Now I can't wait to get the new OPG even more.

BTW: I've always considered them comic books, I mean, what else could they be crazy.gif but it is nice that Overstreet officially recognizes them as such! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I dunno, but he always gets all frazzled when Overstreet doesnt take his suggestions for changes and clarifications based on his sayso. He's probably right, but Arnold always tried to impress on him the "correct way" to submit. But its so tedious that Ian sighs and lets it go.

Congrats, Gary! I am sure it must feel great to be vindicated after such a long time of trying to get the ashcans listed in the guide. I agree that it is important for ashcans, which really go to the roots of our hobby, to be reflected in the "bible" for collectors and it's nice to hear that at long last they are. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Somewhere,Ian Levine broods in a darkened room.

If you know him, you'd be scared!

p.s Well done and good work, aschans are the genesis of every great book.