• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jack Kirby's Eternals

15 posts in this topic

As some of you may know, Marvel is offering an oversized hardcover in June collecting the 19 issues and one annual of Jack Kirby's the Eternals. The cost is $75, but if I preorder, I can get the book at 50% off.

My question is this: Do you feel this is a fair price for the book? I don't know much about the title, but I know Kirby is regarded as one of the greats. My interested in this book has a lot to do with Gaiman's decision to do a 6 issue mini. Can anyone tell me anything about the series, keeping it as absolutely SPOILER FREE as possible? I've already had IC #6 spoiled for me today on Newsarama.

$75 for that steaming pile of crepe? screwy.gif

Eternals was one of the worst books of the BA, and Kirby was dredging the very bottom of the barrel at that point. Just terrible, and they'd have to pay me $75 just to read it.

I understand it might be a little more work, you can get the whole series in NM or close to for a heck of a lot less than $37.50, no? I know I resisted the urge to buy a few nice #1s out of some dollar bin because I figure I don't need my 9th and 10th copies. The last issue might be harder to find though.

Oh I have a whole run except for #13 (I think) and I have the complete 2nd series. Personally, I didn't like it. I happened to get the books in a lot of other books and started reading them cause it was done by Jack Kirby. Well, Kirby was definitely off his mark on this one. Perhaps, its because it was definitely entrenched in the UFO ideas of the late 70's...the whole "Chariots of the Gods" kind of thing. Same kind of thing that the original Battlestar Galactica series got its ideas (according to the creator Glen Larson). But I found it a hard read. Especially since it had little to do with the rest of the Marvel U. Anyway, I don't see spending that kind of cash for the hardcover since you can get the books for $1-2 each online. Heck, I had the whole set on Ebay once for $10 and no one bothered.

I just read the series a couple months ago and saw it as a type of parody of Thor's comic. Gods, Deviants and Humans....and the Gods could be construed as cheap copies of Thor's world.

I did have a tough time getting through the series and read it only because I was interested in Sersi's beginnings. She does cross-over to the Marvel Universe later on and I did want to become familiar with her background. If that's enough of a reason to read it for your, go for it.

Back issues are cheap, but a hard-cover just might be nice to have too.

Your call.... confused.gif

i bought the whole set, including dupes of about six or seven of the issues, for $17 shipped on ebay. Showcase New England, of all sellers.

confused-smiley-013.gif

i liked the series. not an all-time fave, but i just dig the over-the-top style Kirby brought to the series. it's not nearly as goofy as his DC stuff that was put out just prior.

insane.gif

Eternals was one of the worst books of the BA, and Kirby was dredging the very bottom of the barrel at that point. Just terrible, and they'd have to pay me $75 just to read it.

27_laughing.gif Hey JC: Marvel is bringing the Eternals back in June. Gaiman is writing, Romita Jr. is the artist insane.gif

27_laughing.gif Hey JC: Marvel is bringing the Eternals back in June. Gaiman is writing, Romita Jr. is the artist insane.gif

Nice, I will probably wait until June then to sell my high grade 1-19 + Annual run smile.gif

how'd you get that $$$ amount??ebay...

I need to move a run...

Yep, the first comics I have ever sold on eBay. I listed it on $.10 listing day and it sold, so I was happy. The lot's average grade was around 9.2 (with some probably at 9.6) so they were nice comics.

thumbsup2.gif