• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it time to sell Bronze and purchase early Silver marvels?

38 posts in this topic

In answer to your questions:

Yes, I believe it would be a good idea to sell your HG BA books for early SA, especially considering how common your BA books are, even in high grade. In addition, the supply will only keep increasing because there are probably still a ton of them sitting in collections just waiting to be slabbed. Problem here is that the same situation might also happen to your SA books in a few years from now, unless you are thinking of HG very early SA books.

With respect to SA, not too sure if this is the best place to be putting your money at this time since these books are selling at pretty much of a premium right now. Like one other poster already stated, you are going to have a sell a lot of HG BA in order to acquire a SA book.

Might also be a good idea to ask yourself what your long-term goals are. Taking the step approach to collecting can be very expensive sometimes. If you bought the BA books at their peak and now are cashing out to move into SA, this can be an expensive proposition. Does this mean that you will end up selling your SA later on as you graduate into the GA books? If you end up doing this like many other collectors have in the past, it might be a good idea to go straight into the GA books right now.

Advantage here would be twofold: 1) GA books are a lot more reasonably priced right now and it's always good to buy into a market that is not red hot; and 2) Avoids the incremental step approach costs as you buy and sell from one age of books into the next, and then repeating this again a few years later.

Thanks for the advice.

Though from an investment point of view moving to Golden Age comics does seem to be the right play I am at heart a marvel reader and collector and as a kid always dreamed of owning early Silver Age ASMs, FFs, Avengers, Daredevil and JIM!

Now that I have the income to indulge in my hobby I think it is time for me to upgrade those VG-Very Fine early silver age that I already have for high grade material. This will in part have to be funded by sale of bronze age and late 60s silver age partly as a sop to my wife (not overindulging myself by sacrificing my BA and some of my late Silver comics and making space in the house - though my high grade ASM collection is strictly out of bounds).

George

Actually, I think a member of this board sold off his extremely HG Bronze Age Collection a couple of years ago and then bought a handful of really nice Golden Age books. I can't remember who that was but I always thought it was a smart thing to do. But I can't fault a collector for wanting key Silver Age books.

Actually, I think a member of this board sold off his extremely HG Bronze Age Collection a couple of years ago and then bought a handful of really nice Golden Age books. I can't remember who that was but I always thought it was a smart thing to do. But I can't fault a collector for wanting key Silver Age books.

Buy what you like and can enjoy for it's own sake! makepoint.gif

Buy what you like and can enjoy for it's own sake! makepoint.gif

Screw you hippy! poke2.gif

I did that in late 2005 and it was defintely worth it. Still buy the odd high grade SA key.

I slabbed and sold just about all of my Marvel HG BA (Spotlight 2 9.4, Ghost Rider 1 9.6, Hulk 181 9.4, etc.,.) and the pricier BA DC's (Batmans 232 and 234 both in 9.4, 251 in 9.6, Detective 400 9.2, etc..) in '02-'04, and bought quite a few GA books. I didn't really go into it thinking I was doing the "smart thing" as far as which genre would appreciate quicker, but rather that I would be trading for books I didn't have, and that I didn't want to have to purchase with "real" money.

Fortunately I kept the bulk of my BA DC collection (mostly the Adams covers and the main horror titles) intact as they weren't selling for near as much back then as they are today, so I wasn't motivated to sell. I'm not really motivated now either, but then again, there aren't a lot of GA books on the market right now I'm eager to "trade" for! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In answer to your questions:

Yes, I believe it would be a good idea to sell your HG BA books for early SA, especially considering how common your BA books are, even in high grade. In addition, the supply will only keep increasing because there are probably still a ton of them sitting in collections just waiting to be slabbed. Problem here is that the same situation might also happen to your SA books in a few years from now, unless you are thinking of HG very early SA books.

With respect to SA, not too sure if this is the best place to be putting your money at this time since these books are selling at pretty much of a premium right now. Like one other poster already stated, you are going to have a sell a lot of HG BA in order to acquire a SA book.

Might also be a good idea to ask yourself what your long-term goals are. Taking the step approach to collecting can be very expensive sometimes. If you bought the BA books at their peak and now are cashing out to move into SA, this can be an expensive proposition. Does this mean that you will end up selling your SA later on as you graduate into the GA books? If you end up doing this like many other collectors have in the past, it might be a good idea to go straight into the GA books right now.

Advantage here would be twofold: 1) GA books are a lot more reasonably priced right now and it's always good to buy into a market that is not red hot; and 2) Avoids the incremental step approach costs as you buy and sell from one age of books into the next, and then repeating this again a few years later.

The first post thread made me dig this up.

Funny enough I am a GA collector now

Hi, my first post but have been reading this forum for the past week. I have bought and sold on e-bay over the last few years and have tranacted with some of you in the past.

I have been a collector of comics since I was a kid and have built up solid collections in both silver and bronze age (marvel spotlights 5-11, Tomb of Dracula 1,10, Hero for Hire 1, Conan 1, Iron Fist 14, Marvel Premier 15, Iron Man 55, Nick Fury 1, Silver Surfer 1-18 (I know the early SS's are silver but will probably sell all) all in CGC 9.4 or higher plus many others) marvels.

It seems to me that now is an opportune time to sell bronze age and buy high grade early Silver (2- 10s in Daredevil, Avengers, AMS, FF and X-Men) as Bronze age keys are overpriced when comparing numbers of high grade bronze age to Silver age keys

I'd appreciate your views on:

1.) Would you switch at this time?

2.) Best places to sell Bronze age

3.) Best places to purchase Silver.

Thanks

Honestly, I can assure you that soon the silver age will not be immune to large price volatility. Price drops will occur across the board. The question is when?

I believe the best answer to your question is to look at a specific book and analyze whether it is worth buying, keeping, or selling.

A subscription to GPA will help in this regard. Analyze the trends; and the past values. There are books that are worth holding for the long term in ALL comic book ages (except maybe moderns).

At least the bronze age is relatively stable in the 9.2-9.4 range. I also have to ask why you want to sell? Is it because you fear more price drops or you want to buy 'silver age' books? People will always collect silver and bronze age books.

If you bought for investment, what lessons can be learned? Assuming you take a loss. Never buy high and sell low. I do not know what you paid, so I cannot advise as to whether I would 'switch.'

As for where to buy, here is okay, but the selection is sometimes lacking (you have to post a wanted to buy or wait for someone to sell what you want).

Comic Link, eBay (be careful), Heritage, and other dealers (i.e. Greg Reece, Vintage Comics, and Bob Storms) are all great to do business with. Most are board members.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Hi, my first post but have been reading this forum for the past week. I have bought and sold on e-bay over the last few years and have tranacted with some of you in the past.

I have been a collector of comics since I was a kid and have built up solid collections in both silver and bronze age (marvel spotlights 5-11, Tomb of Dracula 1,10, Hero for Hire 1, Conan 1, Iron Fist 14, Marvel Premier 15, Iron Man 55, Nick Fury 1, Silver Surfer 1-18 (I know the early SS's are silver but will probably sell all) all in CGC 9.4 or higher plus many others) marvels.

It seems to me that now is an opportune time to sell bronze age and buy high grade early Silver (2- 10s in Daredevil, Avengers, AMS, FF and X-Men) as Bronze age keys are overpriced when comparing numbers of high grade bronze age to Silver age keys

Thanks

Honestly, I can assure you that soon the silver age will not be immune to large price volatility. Price drops will occur across the board. The question is when?

I believe the best answer to your question is to look at a specific book and analyze whether it is worth buying, keeping, or selling.

A subscription to GPA will help in this regard. Analyze the trends; and the past values. There are books that are worth holding for the long term in ALL comic book ages (except maybe moderns).

At least the bronze age is relatively stable in the 9.2-9.4 range. I also have to ask why you want to sell? Is it because you fear more price drops or you want to buy 'silver age' books? People will always collect silver and bronze age books.

If you bought for investment, what lessons can be learned? Assuming you take a loss. Never buy high and sell low. I do not know what you paid, so I cannot advise as to whether I would 'switch.'

As for where to buy, here is okay, but the selection is sometimes lacking (you have to post a wanted to buy or wait for someone to sell what you want).

Comic Link, eBay (be careful), Heritage, and other dealers (i.e. Greg Reece, Vintage Comics, and Bob Storms) are all great to do business with. Most are board members.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Mint, FYI, I don't think you realized you were replying to a 6 year old thread.

Thanks

Kind Regards,

'mint'

lol

Yeah. My 2c

BA---SELL SELL SELL

SA---BUY BUY BUY

Thanks

Kind Regards,

'mint'

lol

Yeah. My 2c

BA---SELL SELL SELL

SA---BUY BUY BUY

lol

My 2c

SA--- SELL SELL SELL

BA--- BUY BUY BUY....from me at the prices from 4-6 years ago.

GL#76 9.4 for $13000 or Marvel Spotlight #32 9.8 for $900 :baiting: anyone?