• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First comic you ever read

32 posts in this topic

With our without my Mom helping me?

It had to be an issue of the Incredible Hulk during the Sal B art years. If I had to take a guess, I would say issue No. 241..."Half a Hulk is better than None!" I remember thinking Tyrannus was the most evil villian around and couldn't figure out why Hulk was trying to beat the [!@#%^&^] out of Goldbug. (Don't ask, pluck 2.70 down at Mile High for VG copy and read it yourself.)

I still have that comic and it's beat all to hell.

New Teen Titans #12 - Clash of the Titans. Man I will never forget seeing that book at the corner store, I think I was 7 yrs old ish. I remember thinking, whats Robin doing without Batman, what gives? Awesome art -Perez, Awesome story -Wolfman Awesome Awesome Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cloud9.gif

The first Marvel/DC books I can think of were:

- X-Men 152

- DC Comics Presents: Superman teams with the Flash (can't remember the #)

I read a lot of Justice league and Conan around '79-80 when I got back into it. I also used to have a ton of Bugs Bunny, Richie Rich, and Hanna Barbarra comics when I was really wee...

G.I. Joe #5

it was given to me when i was 5. i didn't even know what it was when it was given to me (a comic, what's that?).

it was already in raggedy shape when i got it, but i read it over millions of times. anyone know the story? it's about the G.I. Joe tank driving around in central park and hiding in parking lots etc. while the evil guys (what the heck are they called again - cobra i think) were looking for them.

It was a Richie Rich in 1966 - I have no idea what number.

The first comic I remember actually buying was FF#65 from the A&P across from the beach in Long Beach, Mississippi. That A&P was blown away by Hurricane Camille one year later.

Well, aside from a random Richie Rich or Archie here and there when I was REALLY young, the first comic I bought and read that was significant was Conan the Barbarian, around issue 145. I bought it on a trip to Canada, and was hooked. I became a Conan FREAK, which was the natural result of my geeky obsession with AD&D. I started buying the Conan comics, King Conan, SSOC, etc. It was a cheesy comic, but Conan gave me "that feeling" of childhood fantasy that I didn't get from other comics--not even Spidey.

Mine was a Pink Panther (I still have it), but I would guess I looked at the pics more than read it.

The first I can really say I remember reading were MTU #133 (Spidey & DD) + 134 (Spidey & Beast).

Chris

The first ones I remember reading were translations of Batman and Superman books from the 60's...

The first comic books I ever bought myself were Amazing Spiderman treasury, reprinting AMS 100,101,102...

And Fantastic Four #122....

I still have them and especially the treasury is very close to my heart, as it was a BIG book (the three ASM's and a Peter Porker issue) I took it along on long car trips every 6 months to re-read and it did make me lose interest in DC and become a Marvel Zombie

Uncertain what the first comic I read was... probably a Richie Rich... but within a week of that I drug my mom to the store and bought:

Daredevil 148

I own several pages of original art from the book. It's not Gil Kane's best work, but it's not his worst either.

I am STILL looking to spend "stupid money" (to borrow a term from the original art community) on a nice CGC copy... but no one has taken me up on it... I'd pay $80 for a 9.6 (10x guide), and more than that for a 9.8.... of course, I will eventually want a 35c variant as well, but that's another thread...

And if anyone happens to come across the original cover art to DD148, it is my Holy Grail piece... and no one on the planet would pay more for it... Kane sold most, if not all of the pages from the book at a show in Boston around 1986-1988, and most of the pages I have purchased have been from private collections still in the Boston area...

My first comic was Star Wars 16 when I was 4 (my parents recently found the 24 year old book in the attic about 2 years ago). From there, I traded all my Star Wars books that I acquired for G.I. Joe 3,4 & 5, then amassed a ton of those books. But my comic that I consider my first, official comic was Avengers 272. After reading that, I traded all my G.I. Joe comics for a [!@#%^&^] load of Marvel superhero comics. Now, since Marvel, in my opinion, has ruined the majority of their characters under the leadership of Jemas and Quesada, I've started collecting new and silver-age DC. I don't miss Marvel at all now, though it was kind of tough in the beginning, but being that enthralled with something for over 15 years will do that.