• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got my Ewert-reviewed books back, plus two checks...

65 posts in this topic

My understanding was that Ewert(or the mystery trimmer) had devised a method of disguising the trimming, and CGC can now see right through that disguise.

...Umm,...Ok,...is this a tool that S.T.A.R. labs or S.H.I.E.L.D. developed specifically do detect the work done by the mastermind?....keep herding that flock towards the edge of the cliff guys,....

No, that's ridiculous.

It was NASA.

Right, it's the same group that faked the moon landing...

how about Brulato....it appears CGC is "picking up" his tab...maybe not, but from what the poster relates, it looks like it....

Isn't Brulato only offering refunds on books that he had a financial stake in? Maybe CGC is fronting the bill for refunds on books that were solely owned by Ewert. Just a guess.

I don't know. Regarding how or even if Brulato is paying/reimbursing CGC I obviously cannot comment on - I can say with 100% confidence the checks were from CGC, not Mr. Brulato or Mr. Ewert or anything else. The checks have the big "CGC" logo on them with their PO box address. These checks are on CGC's account.

I'm curious, but since if they reimburse your purchase price, do they require you to have proof of that price and transaction? How does CGC know what someone paid for a Ewart book?

Just say someone bought a Ewart book back near the beginning of his trimming off eBay and paid via Money Order for it. Some may not even remember exactly what they paid. Just curious how this works.

how about Brulato....it appears CGC is "picking up" his tab...maybe not, but from what the poster relates, it looks like it....

Isn't Brulato only offering refunds on books that he had a financial stake in? Maybe CGC is fronting the bill for refunds on books that were solely owned by Ewert. Just a guess.

I don't know. Regarding how or even if Brulato is paying/reimbursing CGC I obviously cannot comment on - I can say with 100% confidence the checks were from CGC, not Mr. Brulato or Mr. Ewert or anything else. The checks have the big "CGC" logo on them with their PO box address. These checks are on CGC's account.

I'm curious, but since if they reimburse your purchase price, do they require you to have proof of that price and transaction? How does CGC know what someone paid for a Ewart book?

Just say someone bought a Ewart book back near the beginning of his trimming off eBay and paid via Money Order for it. Some may not even remember exactly what they paid. Just curious how this works.

I don't know about that. Maybe they went to ebay records or other records to look up that info. I was honest on the CGC forms I filled out when I mailed in the books, and actually placed the amounts I paid for the books on the forms. I keep track of what I pay for books for insurance purposes - I have a personal articles policy with State Farm, and insure these, so I need records for that purpose. I'll be honest and state that I did include S&H charges from when I bought the book, but CGC paid me what I had on the form without question. For example, I put $211 for the JLA #53 - my ebay win was $207, but I paid Mr. Ewert $8 for two books I won at that time, so I considered $4 of the $8 to relate to that book. I put $211 on the form, and that's what I was reimbursed without question. I think somewhere someone had a pretty detailed listing of ebay auctions - that's obviously where someone got my ebay ID to contact me - I found out about this from a volunteer contacting me regarding this issue.

Unfortunately, I keep records of when and how much I paid for a book, but not who I bought it from. I actually had to spend some time going through my Paypal records to accumulate all the books I bought from Ewert - fortunately I put in detailed notes in the Paypal payments regarding which books I was buying - I bought a few books from Ewert directly that didn't sell on ebay (auction reserve not met or something), and I feel fortunate I could go back that far on Paypal to get accurate transaction details.

I know some people are satisfied with CGC's response to this whole scandal but how it has been handled is very disturbing to me. I don't understand how CGC claims they can catch the trim when it is clear they have had to go back and look at certain books after giving them a clean bill of health.

I don't know why CGC would want anything to do with anything AFTER determining a book has been trimmed or not. For me it makes me more suspicious than happy.

Never mind not outing the trimmer, why Brulato seems to be covering more than the books he said to have money invested in, why they are only going back a certain period and not further, etc... so many question and so few answers. I find the whole handling of this very poor and disrespectful to those collectors and seller out there that have invested so much of their time in trying to clean up the image of the industry.

Some of you may be happy but I just don't know why.

I know some people are satisfied with CGC's response to this whole scandal but how it has been handled is very disturbing to me. I don't understand how CGC claims they can catch the trim when it is clear they have had to go back and look at certain books after giving them a clean bill of health.

I don't know why CGC would want anything to do with anything AFTER determining a book has been trimmed or not. For me it makes me more suspicious than happy.

Never mind not outing the trimmer, why Brulato seems to be covering more than the books he said to have money invested in, why they are only going back a certain period and not further, etc... so many question and so few answers. I find the whole handling of this very poor and disrespectful to those collectors and seller out there that have invested so much of their time in trying to clean up the image of the industry.

Some of you may be happy but I just don't know why.

Well, as I said, I was satisfied with the way they handled the transaction and refunding my money on the trimmed books. I never said I was happy with the way they dealt with the entire issue. I was very frustrated at the beginning when I would get a different answer every time I called with a question. Additionally, I mailed in all my Ewert books - they returned the ones they slabbed prior to Sept 04 unopened and unreviewed. No one has ever really given a decent explanation for that. If you read Mr. Patel's "sticky" on the situation - "CGC will review any CGC-certified book purchased from Jason Ewert (eBay id: ejanter) between September 2004 and September 2005." That statement isn't true - they will only review books graded & slabbed by them from 09/04 thru 09/05. If you bought a book from Mr. Ewert in that time frame but CGC graded it prior to 09/04, they'll return it to you unopened and unreviewed. Why they posted this and won't correct the statement after more than 1200 people have read it is really beyond me. Additionally, why did there have to be "volunteers" to get the word out? Why didn't CGC themselves make attempts to contact Ewert's buyers - the info was collected and there from the ebay records. Is a "sticky" on this bulletin board a full-faith attempt to contact potentially scammed people? How about an ad in a couple of trade publications?

But in the end, they did what they said. My (post 09/04 graded) books were reviewed, re-holdered and sent to me, and the two that were trimmed were purchased from me for my full cost.

I wish those pursuing Mr. Ewert through legal channels the best of luck...

I received my two books back today plus a check for the two that were trimmed. I have to agree with Panhandle, I am pleased with the way CGC treated me. I wish they would have handled things a bit different up front but I think that they got it right by me. They made me whole.

And don't lose track of the key point, CGC was also a victim of Ewert - he is the one who trimmed the books, he is the one who sold them fraudulently, and he is the greedy lying 893censored-thumb.gif who is responsible for the mess.

And don't lose track of the key point, CGC was also a victim of Ewert - he is the one who trimmed the books, he is the one who sold them fraudulently, and he is the greedy lying 893censored-thumb.gif who is responsible for the mess.

I'd have to say that blind faith in an imperfect system is as much to blame as anything else.

I received my two books back today plus a check for the two that were trimmed. I have to agree with Panhandle, I am pleased with the way CGC treated me. I wish they would have handled things a bit different up front but I think that they got it right by me. They made me whole.

It sounds like we have had about the same experience and feelings on the issue. I'm pleased I have my money back on trimmed books, but I hate to see a great book like a 9.8 TtA #99 (which probably was a 9.4 or so before trimming) and lose it, not just for me but for everyone. You may feel the same way about your books. You bought them for a reason - getting your money back may make you financially whole, but you lost something you wanted and had in your possession. I have to agree that Ewert is ultimately responsible for this, and that's where I would like to place the focus and blame.

I have to agree that Ewert is ultimately responsible for this, and that's where I would like to place the focus and blame.

Except for the fact that CGC missed many many trims. AS hard as it may be it their job to catch this. It is also their duty to be suspicious of ANYONE submitting books. Steve defended Jason at first until the furor became so loud they could not ignore it.

As far as I am concerned CGC should have ALWAYS been suspicious of any books they know are resubmitted.

Jason Ewert is the scammer but CGC failed to protect the consumer which is, in my opinion, just as bad a crime. (Never mind how they continue to handle it.) Why CGC coninues to protect the trimmer, how to identify the trim (which I really have to question) and cut check for Ewert AND Brulato's problem is beyond me.

At least though one of these crooks is paying you back.

Just received my package from CGC today. One book reholdered and one check for the other that was found to be trimmed.

It's a real shame, it was a beautiful book.

1198043-Amazing99.jpg

Can't remember who is keeping a list, but you can add this Spider-Man #99 to the trimmed copies.

And remove the Spider-Man #90 because it came back with a new certification number

1198043-Amazing99.jpg.5027a6062af47c4458bce1d34d4140b0.jpg