• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

We are Doomed again!

47 posts in this topic

news.gif Issue # 2 finally came out!

With two covers also, this mag harkens back to the good old days of Creepy, Eerie and the Skywald mags. Whether it's intentional or not these books have the look of these mags with some great stories to boot!

Ashley Wood cover

1201450-Doomed%232.jpg

Jeremy Geddes cover

1201450-Doomed%232Alt.jpg

589a907cac260_1201450-Doomed2Alt.jpg.4549774767213a54e3895ddb528a6d6c.jpg

I still haven't touched this title. $7.99 is a lot of scratch for a new b&w mag. gossip.gif

Wonder if Geddes is related to Anne? confused-smiley-013.gif

Hey Keith......don't you think there might be quite a few people making a "pass" on these because of the price? Wouldn't that mean it might....and I'm stressing the "might", ........... become a collectible later?!? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

I still haven't touched this title. $7.99 is a lot of scratch for a new b&w mag. gossip.gif

Hey Keith......don't you think there might be quite a few people making a "pass" on these because of the price? Wouldn't that mean it might....and I'm stressing the "might", ........... become a collectible later?!? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

I think the new issue price tag may be keeping a few readers away for now. I myself am waiting for a decent discount in the back issue bins before taking the plunge on this one.

Fuelie, I really have no idea if this would make it "more collectible" in the future, because I don't believe the modern direct market works in the same manner of the distributorships of old. I don't think their is a remainder style process these days in the comic market, but I certainly could be wrong. I'm operating under the presumption that when a LCS orders from, say Diamond, they are stuck with their stock & it is up to said LCS to move the goods. No returns barring damaged items. In the "old days" a merchant would simply have his unsold stock removed by the distributor, who in turn would probably remainder it to the publisher in some form. Any LCS owners care to clarify? confused-smiley-013.gif

I have no print run data, but I suspect low print runs would make it more "collectible" in the future as opposed to low initial sales due to pricing. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

I think the new issue price tag may be keeping a few readers away for now. I myself am waiting for a decent discount in the back issue bins before taking the plunge on this one.

Fuelie, I really have no idea if this would make it "more collectible" in the future, because I don't believe the modern direct market works in the same manner of the distributorships of old. I don't think their is a remainder style process these days in the comic market, but I certainly could be wrong. I'm operating under the presumption that when a LCS orders from, say Diamond, they are stuck with their stock & it is up to said LCS to move the goods. No returns barring damaged items. In the "old days" a merchant would simply have his unsold stock removed by the distributor, who in turn would probably remainder it to the publisher in some form. Any LCS owners care to clarify? confused-smiley-013.gif

I have no print run data, but I suspect low print runs would make it more "collectible" in the future as opposed to low initial sales due to pricing. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

I'm thinking this: There will be a number who get turned off by the price, print runs will be low/lower due to objection to price (by both collector/buyers & LCS's). Content has been good with faverable reviews from those of us who have purchased. The chance that there are remainders left over will be small due to oblections to cover price,which in turn effects print runs, as noted before.

Evaluation: "Buy what you like. devil.gif

I will ask you this purely, out of curiosity: Have you had a chance to read/review( makepoint.gif) .....and I will makepoint.gif you once more here, the mag? I'm thinking you will like it very much. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Might even want to do a review of the mag?!? confused-smiley-013.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Your pal,

FM (the wold's worst speller)

flowerred.gifhi.gif

I'm thinking this: There will be a number who get turned off by the price, print runs will be low/lower due to objection to price (by both collector/buyers & LCS's). Content has been good with faverable reviews from those of us who have purchased. The chance that there are remainders left over will be small due to oblections to cover price,which in turn effects print runs, as noted before.

Evaluation: "Buy what you like. devil.gif

I will ask you this purely, out of curiosity: Have you had a chance to read/review( makepoint.gif) .....and I will makepoint.gif you once more here, the mag? I'm thinking you will like it very much. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Might even want to do a review of the mag?!? confused-smiley-013.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Your pal,

FM (the wold's worst speller)

flowerred.gifhi.gif

I just noticed: wasn't the first issue $6.99???! They actually RAISED the price by an entire dollar for the second issue?!? gossip.gif

Anyway, I would eventually LOVE to get ahold of these, because judging by the credits of the first issue, they adapted some very FINE horror stories.

I can speak from personal experience that printing "mags" is an expensive venture. However,a publishing house like IDW ought to be getting a nice deal per piece, as I would imagine their print run would be around 5,000 copies bare minimum, likely twice as much. Maybe the cost is in paying these well known writers for the rights to adapt their works??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

it looks like my lcs ordered about 4 copies, other than file customers.

i think a lot of shops and readers are scared off by the price. i was. i can buy a lot of vintage materials for that much, including a few VGish Creepys or Eeries (granted, this new book is probably rarer)

sure, there might be some collector interest at $5 to read the first new B&W horror mag put out in what, dacades (did I miss something over the last 20 years?), which is good if you can snag the overstock copies for $1-$2. granted, those will probably be dinged up.

Wow, looked like no one was going to respond to this thread at first!

First thing, yes the price did go up a $1 frown.gif but since this mag seems like it comes out only twice a year I guess I'll continue to pick it up for now.

I'm just happy there is a new horror comic mag around in like, what someone said, 20 years? cloud9.gif

The 2nd issue's stories all have a slight male bashing theme to them as eluded to by the intro and sign-off by the horror host(ess) Ms. Doomed. Again the art and stories are b/w and have that Warren feel. As for collectability what do you think would make these more desirable, if the title was quickly discontinued or if it catches on and has a long run?

That Geddes cover is great! Does he do any other books?

Both his covers for Doomed are killer! Not sure what else he has worked on though.

Love how the left hand on that guy with the "pruners" is kinda old and wrinkled as he eyes up a new replacement!

It's B&W, couldn't it be cheaper and maybe pay some of the talent based on sales? I just have my limits, and $7.99 is beyond that limit. We're talking B&W newsprint. And I thought comic talent was desperate for work nowadays? Seems like a good venue for some fun side projects for talent, not something they expect a big payday from.

Granted, if it was selling 50,000 copies rather than 5,000, it would be cheaper. IDW makes what, $2 on a $4.99 magazine? I guess you couldn't put that thing together for $10K and print 5,000 copies.

All good points and I do believe with the high cover price a lot of people are passing on this book. I think my LCS only had 8 issues (4 of each cover) too.

Here's some examples of the inside art for those who are curious:

From the first story entitled "Bagged"

1211156-Doomed%232Bagged.jpg

From the story "Crickets"

1211156-Doomed%232Crickets.jpg

What can I say...I have no excuse, I'm a die-hard Horror-Head! devil.gif

589a907cb5b7d_1211156-Doomed2Crickets.jpg.366110be630c040eed26e132c5c90d42.jpg

after getting a bit trashed, the remainders wound up in the bargain bin after 3 pr 4 or whatever months, so now I have one of each cover!

Wait...who got trashed? You or the books? poke2.gif

the books. i hardly ever drink anymore. one of us needs to be sober in case the baby has an emergency. went to a party last weekend and I drank about 3 gallons of diet coke, my wife, rum & coke. (I'm in manhattan, so drinking & driving isn't an issue.)