• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OA from second tier comic books

14 posts in this topic

Is it worth collecting OA from "second tier comic books or non-mainstream" (for a lack of better descriptions)?

For example:

Spiderman: Hobgoblin Lives, Spidey Super Stories, and similar...

I know the answer is if you like the art what does it matter. While I do agree with this, however in case you want to sell or trade up in the future, will these types of comic OA be in demand?

Would you buy OA for seondary or third titles for your favortie superhero? If so, what would your criteria be? Everyone would want Amazing Spiderman OA or even Spectacular Spiderman, but what about Venom, or the titles above?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Would you buy OA for seondary or third titles for your favortie superhero? If so, what would your criteria be?

My criteria for art from any title/character is the same....I buy what is aesthetically pleasing to me from artists whose work I admire. As much as possible, I want to avoid trading and selling, only buying pieces that I feel I'll want to hold on to indefinetly. This allows me to limit my purchases, keeping disposable cash available for when a "must have" piece turns up.

Like Cap said - I buy what I like and when I make a purchase I almost never think "Hey - I should be able to flip this for XXX in a couple of years."

That being said - if you're looking for art as an investment it's a [embarrassing lack of self control] shoot. You could pick up a page from "Spider-Man vs Bad Guy X" by Unknown artist Y. If in 5 years artist Y becomes well known (especially if it is for drawing Spider-Man) then you may have a good return on the page.

But how often does that happen?

Buy what you like. Buy what you like. Buy what you like.

As long as it isn't what I like. Because I want to buy that.

Just to clarify, I am not looking at OA as an investment. That being said, if I do need to sell or use the pieces as trade value, just like anyone else, I would want my OA to gain in value.

I guess my dilema is this: I just entered the hobby and I intended only to collect Amazing Spiderman OA, since this is my favorite comic book and hero. For the last 6 months I have not been able to find one piece that I liked, or more importantly could afford. To start my collection I am looking for modest panel pages for a few hundred $$$ I like. From the advice of others I am trying to be picky at what I buy because I rather have quality than quantity.

Since having no luck yet with Amazing Spiderman, this has made me think of expanding my OA search for titles that INCLUDE spiderman. This is where my question stems from. Is it even worth collecting OA from 2nd or 3rd tier comics, with marginally known artisits? I guess the answer is yes, if you like it, which leads me to the final question:

Hypothetical question:

If an Amazing Spiderman page with Spidey and a well known foe by a decently regarded artist sells for $500, how much of a discount would a page from a secondary title cost with the same parameters?

I don't buy OA to collect it, I buy it to display it. That means I would happily buy ANY art that is "cool" to me. While I have favorite artists I prefer (David Mack, Busecma/Chan Conan, Josh Medors, Alex Maleev), I'd be happy to get a really nice Spidey-vs-Goblin piece to hang in my office. When I search for OA on eBay, I search by character name, not by artist name.

My rule of thumb for OA collecting is that I will hold out for a piece I *really* want. When I first started, I was buying iffy pages from series I liked just to have an example. I've since moved most of those and I dig a little deeper to find the pieces I really want. There's no rush - everything turns up eventually.

If you really want ASM pages, there's no point blowing your bankroll on nice pages from secondary Spidey books. God knows there's enough Spidey pieces out there. If you just want something sweet to hang on the wall, get a Josh Medors commission or something. If you want a nice ASM page, save up the cash and wait for the right piece. You'll be happier in the end.

If you really want ASM pages, there's no point blowing your bankroll on nice pages from secondary Spidey books. God knows there's enough Spidey pieces out there.

That's true....unless you can find a nice cover from a mini-series like this one.

The link is to the comic not the art...I can upload the art later for anyone who wants to see it.

Spider-man Mysterio Manifesto Cover

The lesson to the story is only buy something that you really like..

I will be moving this cover soon if anyone is interested...

Chris

Yea I can agree with that way of thinking, I'll only buy a piece of art if I like it enough,I'm really picky and only buy certian artists,sure I like Jim Lee, but since his stuff is plentyful I'll pass on the 15K Batman splashes.

Is it worth collecting OA from "second tier comic books or non-mainstream" (for a lack of better descriptions)?

For example:

I know the answer is if you like the art what does it matter. While I do agree with this, however in case you want to sell or trade up in the future, will these types of comic OA be in demand?

Would you buy OA for seondary or third titles for your favortie superhero? If so, what would your criteria be? Everyone would want Amazing Spiderman OA or even Spectacular Spiderman, but what about Venom, or the titles above?

For the most part, I only find a piece of art interesting if it's from something by a creator (this includes writers) I like or was from a memorable storyline. The actual aesthetics of the art is secondary to me. That said, I believe I am in the minority in that view. Most people collect great images by favorite artists, regardless of any other considerations like what title it was from.

Case in point:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=154928&GSub=9112

This isn't even from a Spidey title, but there's no doubt it's an awesome image of Spidey by one of the all-time beloved Spidey artists. I don't think you could go wrong in a case like this. If the image is strong enough, there will always be another collector out there who will want it.

For example:

For the most part, I only find a piece of art interesting if it's from something by a creator (this includes writers) I like or was from a memorable storyline. The actual aesthetics of the art is secondary to me. That said, I believe I am in the minority in that view. Most people collect great images by favorite artists, regardless of any other considerations like what title it was from.

Case in point:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=154928&GSub=9112

This isn't even from a Spidey title, but there's no doubt it's an awesome image of Spidey by one of the all-time beloved Spidey artists. I don't think you could go wrong in a case like this. If the image is strong enough, there will always be another collector out there who will want it.

SHOWOFF!!!! flowerred.gif Just kidding!! That is a beautiful piece and you made a good point!!! hail.gif

Buy what you like. Buy what you like. Buy what you like.

As long as it isn't what I like. Because I want to buy that.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif maybe that should be my new sig line?