• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I.D. this Aquaman toy

10 posts in this topic

Aquamantoy.jpg

Anyone recognize this Aquaman toy. Its made of green plastic. About 4 inches long. And has a 1988 date on it.

Was it part of a play set?

Was it a giveaway?

I found it at a garage sale among a box of battered kids toys. No identification what so ever. Couldn't tell from the other toys in the box. Nothing else like it. Anyone have a clue? confused.gif

I'm not saying this is what it is. But it looks very similar to a souvenir alligator toy I bought on a trip to Florida when I was a kid. You put your money into the machine. Then, while you waited, it poured this green liquid plastic/wax substance into a mold. After a short cooling time, it popped out the finished product that looked similar to this. Are there any holes on the back? The Alligator I bought was hollow and had a couple on the bottom from where the plastic poured into the mold.

Anyway, just a wild guess that I thought I'd throw out there.

I'm not saying this is what it is. But it looks very similar to a souvenir alligator toy I bought on a trip to Florida when I was a kid. You put your money into the machine. Then, while you waited, it poured this green liquid plastic/wax substance into a mold. After a short cooling time, it popped out the finished product that looked similar to this. Are there any holes on the back? The Alligator I bought was hollow and had a couple on the bottom from where the plastic poured into the mold.

You can still buy those alligators...and dolphins, and whales, and pretty much any animal. Miami Seaquarium still has the machines and so do a couple other tourist sites throughout South Florida... cloud9.gif

Jim

it looks very similar to a souvenir alligator toy I bought on a trip to Florida when I was a kid. You put your money into the machine. Then, while you waited, it poured this green liquid plastic/wax substance into a mold. After a short cooling time, it popped out the finished product that looked similar to this.

I know exactly what your talking about. They are called Mold-A-Rama. MAR's to collectors. I'm very familar with them because I also collect MAR's. The Aquaman toy is solid plastic, kind of like the toy army men we all played with when we were kids. This Aquaman toy doesn't look like it came from a mold-a-rama machine. But since you mentioned it, I wish they would make mold-a-roma's of superheroes. That would be better then the usual MAR's animal figures out there. This Aquaman toy seems to be of unknown origin. I can't even find any on ebay. I'm hoping someone out there will recognize it.

You can still buy those alligators...and dolphins, and whales, and pretty much any animal. Miami Seaquarium still has the machines and so do a couple other tourist sites throughout South Florida... cloud9.gif

Yeah, I got the alligator in Florida at Gatorland (or some similarly named alligator park/tourist attraction). As a kid, it was pretty cool to have it made right there while you waited. cloud9.gif

Looks to me to be the Nazi version fo Aquaman that came out in Germany in 1944.

Ok - for some reason, I cannot see your pictue. However, based on the description (4", green and "Nazi") - I REMEMBER THIS ONE!

I'm 99.9% certain that it was a Fast-Food promo (McD's/ BK)... he has 1 arm up and a bent knee, right?

If he does... he FLOATS too ! thumbsup2.gif You know, like he's swimmin'! 893whatthe.gif Yea -- FUN ! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Just put it in your bowl and let 'er RIP... because sadly that's all it's likely worth, but still fun (mostly). frown.gif

Thanks for the info. You described the toy exactly. I'll try and post a new photo of it later.

Someone did email me that the toy works in a plastic soda bottle full of water. Fill the bottle all the way, drop the Aquaman toy in and close the bottle with the cap. Then squeeze the bottle and watch Aquaman dive up and down. I tried it and it kind of works.

Don't ya just love how when you get these toys and you expect something really cool to happen and it just fizzles out to be a dud.

Those old plastic divers that you filled the bottom flipper with baking soda kind of worked the same way. I think I had a tiny sub that did that too.

Any others?