• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NOW ACCEPTING GA CONTEST VOTES

136 posts in this topic

Votes sent - not an easy choice - so many factors to weigh- composition & color, draftsmanship, lurid content, iconic images. I pretty much went with what I collect - but had to ask myself why I included a few books that weren't on my want list, and excluded covers which are favorites, but not as immeadiately eye-grabbing as others.

You have until Monday May 1st, 8 p.m. CST to figure out which books are your favorites and vote. You should submit your votes to me via PM and I will forward the information to Norinn Radd and we will certify each other's vote count. Please do not reveal your votes in any threads.

Progress report? How's the turnout? Did everyone bellyache about how hard it was to choose only 10 each?

Jack

Progress report? How's the turnout? Did everyone bellyache about how hard it was to choose only 10 each?

Turnout is good. I am about to prod a few more stray souls.

EVERYONE complains how tough it is to narrow it down to 10!

Turnout is good. I am about to prod a few more stray souls.

EVERYONE complains how tough it is to narrow it down to 10!

I bet I know a certain somebody that forgot to vote. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I did not nominate All Select #1 because I thought someone else would... I was wrong! sumo.gif

West

For Real!

I don't check in GA often enough, so I was late to the contest. First thing I noticed was no All-Select #1. 893whatthe.gif

I did not nominate All Select #1 because I thought someone else would... I was wrong! ...

For Real!

I don't check in GA often enough, so I was late to the contest. First thing I noticed was no All-Select #1.

Don't wring your hands -- it wouldn't have had a chance!

Why is the gang attacking that miniature castle?

Jack

did that need a smileyface?

Don't wring your hands -- it wouldn't have had a chance!

893whatthe.gif It's one of my favorite covers of alltime!

Hard to beat anything Schomburg did with the Torch on the cover. cloud9.gif

I don't check in GA often enough, so I was late to the contest. First thing I noticed was no All-Select #1. 893whatthe.gif

Not too late to vote poke2.gif PM received. Thanks thumbsup2.gif

Woohoo!

Yep, I meant too late to nominate. frown.gif

Still, a great list of books to choose from. Some really superior cover artwork "back in the day".

I haven't got to see much of the interior art from the GA (apart from some of the EC stuff). But, the stuff I've seen (early Batman Tec's, Action's, Supes) had some really awful art in comparison to the covers. Always wondered why the artists didn't put as much effort into the interiors. Would it be b/c they were streched across numerous titles? What gives? confused-smiley-013.gif

I haven't got to see much of the interior art from the GA (apart from some of the EC stuff). But, the stuff I've seen (early Batman Tec's, Action's, Supes) had some really awful art in comparison to the covers. Always wondered why the artists didn't put as much effort into the interiors. Would it be b/c they were streched across numerous titles? What gives? confused-smiley-013.gif

Because the covers sold the books -- same as today, come to think of it!

Too bad they didn't just slab 'em right up in the 40s, eh? Then they could have spent even more time on the covers and just skipped working on the stories. (Often not the same artists on the interiors anyway -- sometimes just a bunch of inexperienced guys hacking it out as fast as they could in a "studio".)

Jack

I haven't got to see much of the interior art from the GA (apart from some of the EC stuff). But, the stuff I've seen (early Batman Tec's, Action's, Supes) had some really awful art in comparison to the covers. ...

...(Often not the same artists on the interiors anyway -- sometimes just a bunch of inexperienced guys hacking it out as fast as they could in a "studio".)

Idle thought -- how about a Golden Age "favorite story page" contest? Probably mostly splash pages would win, but that's OK. I bet the fraction of Kirby nominees would rise dramatically.

Jack

Because the covers sold the books -- same as today, come to think of it!

Too bad they didn't just slab 'em right up in the 40s, eh? Then they could have spent even more time on the covers and just skipped working on the stories. (Often not the same artists on the interiors anyway -- sometimes just a bunch of inexperienced guys hacking it out as fast as they could in a "studio".)

Jack

Thanks for the info, Jack. thumbsup2.gif

I haven't got to see much of the interior art from the GA (apart from some of the EC stuff). But, the stuff I've seen (early Batman Tec's, Action's, Supes) had some really awful art in comparison to the covers. ...

...(Often not the same artists on the interiors anyway -- sometimes just a bunch of inexperienced guys hacking it out as fast as they could in a "studio".)

Idle thought -- how about a Golden Age "favorite story page" contest? Probably mostly splash pages would win, but that's OK. I bet the fraction of Kirby nominees would rise dramatically.

Jack

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There's an idea. While I agree that most GA interior art is not very good with some notable exceptions (Reed Crandall sumo.gif). There are often some really cool splash pages in those otherwise forgetful stories. When I think cool GA superhero, I think a cool splash page. It would be really interesting to see the nominations as well, as there are TONS of books I've never seen the inside of that probably have awesome splashs.

Of course it will be all us low grade collectors doing the nominations because you guys with the good stuff have it slabbed. 27_laughing.gif

Jack

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There's an idea. While I agree that most GA interior art is not very good with some notable exceptions (Reed Crandall sumo.gif). There are often some really cool splash pages in those otherwise forgetful stories. When I think cool GA superhero, I think a cool splash page. It would be really interesting to see the nominations as well, as there are TONS of books I've never seen the inside of that probably have awesome splashs.

Of course it will be all us low grade collectors doing the nominations because you guys with the good stuff have it slabbed. 27_laughing.gif

I'll scan Happy Comics 34 for you guys. The Frazetta story. hail.gif Oh. My. God.

Jack

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll scan Happy Comics 34 for you guys. The Frazetta story. hail.gif Oh. My. God.

See, perfect example. I've NEVER seen that and would love to see it. thumbsup2.gif