• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NOW ACCEPTING GA CONTEST VOTES

136 posts in this topic

That's why I am surprised Action 1 got nominated.

27_laughing.gif Go ask tth2 why! ... and be prepared for a looooong answer.

Overall I do agree. I only nominated one DC SH GA cover and that was Adventure 40, a key with attitude if you ask me.

That was his number one vote? Boooooriiiiiing. sleeping.gif

tongue.gif

Have I called you a know nothing newbie today yet?

Twice!

Wait til you read my commentary on my #1 pick. It's a beautiful piece! grin.gif

But there are so many covers that artistically knock it to the dirt. That's why I am surprised Action 1 got nominated. Key appeal is the only reason because later books in the series beat it artistically. That's the reason I didn't nominate Whiz #1 or Captian Marvel #1. Those covers are really not artistically appealing. A lot of keys got missed for just that reason.

I think that in order to assess what covers are "great" one must consider what covers existed on the stands before them. Action Comics #1 may not seem that artistically spectacular in hindsight, but when it hit the stands in 1938 I'll bet it looked better than everything else out there at the time.

You can also see why Schomburg covers are so popular in the Superhero category. Pure artwork. Amazing.

Complexity and quantity does not necessarily translate into quality. gossip.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Alex Toth is pure artwork too.

Even if Schomburg didn't try to cram 1,000 things into each cover (similar to a bored kid doodling in class who keeps adding more airplanes, and more explosions, and more soldiers bleeding while the teacher drones on and on), I find his drawing style to be aesthetically ugly.

and now I'll disagree with you mad.gif

Even the simpler compositions and prettier style of his airbrushed work? flowerred.gif

but when it hit the stands in 1938 I'll bet it looked better than everything else out there at the time.

I'll see that theory and raise you one Craig Flessel. headbang.gif

You are my hero, man!!! I agree, Flessel's Detective and New/ Adventure Comics were far exceeding Action #1 at that time. But with the way that the poll is structured, it becomes an apples and oranges comparison. Whiz Comics(Especially between issues 10 and 25) beats down Action #1 but time frame wise they might not beat down other Action comics as well. I wanted to nominate every Whiz Comics that I could think of but in comparison to what is out there for the whole era, only a few really stand out. The early Superman Actions just don't make the grade. Nominating Action 1, to me, is just indulging in "Key" admiration.

Complexity and quantity does not necessarily translate into quality.

Even if Schomburg didn't try to cram 1,000 things into each cover (similar to a bored kid doodling in class who keeps adding more airplanes, and more explosions, and more soldiers bleeding while the teacher drones on and on), I find his drawing style to be aesthetically ugly.

YOU DA MAN!! I'm so glad to hear there's someone else out there who feels this way. I see post after post of people drooling over Schomburg and I just think "There's no accounting for taste." His covers are fun and I can totally see how they appeal to the escapist feeling of being 12 years old again, but are they attractive? Ewww, no.

As for the omission of Detective #1: I didn't nominate it, despite being possibly that comic's biggest fan, primarily because I didn't know whether it was considered Golden Age and, if so, whether the quality of the artwork stood alone as worthy of inclusion (without adding historic significance to the case). In retrospect, I regret not nominating it, as it's clearly a striking cover that would've garnered solid votes.

When Scrooge runs his Platinum Age cover contest, I'm definitely submitting it.

Schomburg's good girl art covers aren't cluttered at all and look fantastic. I'm still more of Kamen/Baker fan when it comes to this genre, but his work is still great! thumbsup2.gif

I think the Schomburg Cap's Torch's etc are excellent because of composition. Sure there is a lot going on but it amazes you that you can look at one and see something new each time. And they are pretty detailed as well.

Schomburgs airbrush work which is has such a wonderful rich technique that you want to buy that book right then and there(had to stifle the urge a few times when one became available).

Complexity and quantity does not necessarily translate into quality.

YOU DA MAN!! I'm so glad to hear there's someone else out there who feels this way. I see post after post of people drooling over Schomburg and I just think "There's no accounting for taste." His covers are fun and I can totally see how they appeal to the escapist feeling of being 12 years old again, but are they attractive? Ewww, no.

sumo.gif Ugly? Are you mad?

thrilling11.jpg

Ok, I'll clarify: Schomburg's earliest work is great, and his air-brushed good girl art is fantastic. The guy clearly has the ability to draw a beautiful cover.

What I don't like are the jumbled Marvel Mystery messes (and other such WWII Timely works) that basically all appear to be the same cover, over and over again, full of red colors and cartoonish noise. Check out the Gerber pages to see what I'm talking about. Those covers are fun and escapist, but I'm never going to be convinced of their appeal in a contest such as this. But to each his own. I'm sure there are people out there who don't like More Fun #54 or Detective #31.

Ok, I'll clarify: Schomburg's earliest work is great, and his air-brushed good girl art is fantastic. The guy clearly has the ability to draw a beautiful cover.

What I don't like are the jumbled Marvel Mystery messes (and other such WWII Timely works) that basically all appear to be the same cover, over and over again, full of red colors and cartoonish noise. Check out the Gerber pages to see what I'm talking about. Those covers are fun and escapist, but I'm never going to be convinced of their appeal in a contest such as this. But to each his own. I'm sure there are people out there who don't like More Fun #54 or Detective #31.

NO ONE doesn't like Tec #31............ sumo.gifgrin.gif

Wait til you read my commentary on my #1 pick. It's a beautiful piece! grin.gif

Let me guess: Mask #1, LB Cole, 893blahblah.gif

poke2.gif

So close! popcorn.gif

On the non-superheroes anyway.

but when it hit the stands in 1938 I'll bet it looked better than everything else out there at the time.

Creig. gossip.gif

Schomburg worked for Timely? I thought he only worked for Nedor. shy.gif

Creig. gossip.gif

word!