• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When are all of these pressing threads going to end?

44 posts in this topic

ok, um, I don't usually mingle in the hardcore, high-end books collectors circles, and there also seems fair amounts of sarcasm getting thrown everywhere, but could anyone sum up, or point me to a summary of, this whole "pressing" fiasco thing? I assume it's something to do with restoration, which is not something I know very much about, and there seems to be some recent scandal about it or something? help a newbie out

How about a whole forum devoted to actual (useful ) information. Pressing, et.al. could be put there, and newbies could be directed there. Like a hall of fame for the most informational, useful threads.
or a FAQ

ok, um, I don't usually mingle in the hardcore, high-end books collectors circles, and there also seems fair amounts of sarcasm getting thrown everywhere, but could anyone sum up, or point me to a summary of, this whole "pressing" fiasco thing? I assume it's something to do with restoration, which is not something I know very much about, and there seems to be some recent scandal about it or something? help a newbie out

Like you, I'm on the outside looking in. Seems like there has been a lot of controversy over restoring comics and then not declaring the restoration. Sort of like cheating or lying - pretending a comic is in original condition when it was not. It is also tied into abusive sellers trying to raise the value of comics by cheating their buyers. I think there were some scandals/controversies over this. Then there are other activities, such as trimming, or pressing, which also make a comic look better than it used to. Trimming is obviously an invasive procedure, whose undeclared use led to a recent fiasco where CGC didn't catch the trimming at first, and labelled comics as original and unrestored. Pressing is more of a grey area. Technically I guess it includes anything from storing a comic in a tightly-packed longbox, to flatening a comic under a stack of books, to more advanced (I have no clue what they do) professional pressing. So depending on what type of pressing you use, what definition of restoration you use, and who you talk to, there is plenty of room for controversy. For the obsessively hardcore collectors, it seems that any form of pressing is restoration, and thus should be disclosed. And I believe these collectors also feel that it is better to just leave comics alone rather than pressing.

I am sick of them and they are not funny anymore. From now on everyone ask if a book is pressed before you buy it plain and simple. Can we end it now? tongue.gif

I'm going to personally start a dozen more pressing threads in May....in your honor! flowerred.gif

I am sick of them and they are not funny anymore. From now on everyone ask if a book is pressed before you buy it plain and simple. Can we end it now? tongue.gif

I'm going to personally start a dozen more pressing threads in May....in your honor! flowerred.gif

Well good. That gives me a one week break.

Well good. That gives me a one week break.

Pressing threads are good for you. Like castor oil! thumbsup2.gif

I think they'll end when sellers finally decide to disclose the work done on the books. Until then, deal with it. poke2.gif

grin.gif

I think they'll end when sellers finally decide to disclose the work done on the books. Until then, deal with it. poke2.gif

grin.gif

Pfft, sounds FLAT to me.

Well, since my entire message just got deleted by Mods (in about 10 seconds flat) I'm assuming that's my cue to leave.

sorry.gif

Your post was deleted for its inappropiate language. You may feel free to repost your message, but leave out any profanities.