• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heres the piece in question

64 posts in this topic

I agree - I wouldn't spend 3K on that. But if its what you really want, that's a different story. If you're having second thoughts - maybe you don't really want it. If you did, you wouldn't have to be thinking about it and you'd be ready to hand over the cash.

I'm pretty sure that's the price Mayhew sold it for less than a year ago ...

I thought it was overpriced then, but at least you know it hasn't been jacked up.

Mayhew has a cool style, but I think most of his art is priced about double market value. I don't blame him at all; he won't regret selling his prime pieces too cheaply, as many artists do.

$3k is high....but that is not the seller's doing. Everything that Mike sells is priced in this range. Finding a nice Mayhew of this size is not easy or cheap regardless of source.

I would think about the piece and if the price is one that you are comfortable with and if you can't live without the cover.

Personally something about the size, shape and position of Spidey's right arm and the shape of his right hand bugs me, but that could be just me.

Art is subjective, you won't find a cheaper Mayhew of this quality so just determine if that the way you have to go, or if there is something you want more.

Chris

Mayhew usually sells his painted pieces for this range - up. I would imagine when he sold it it was less. IMO.

$3k is high....but that is not the seller's doing. Everything that Mike sells is priced in this range. Finding a nice Mayhew of this size is not easy or cheap regardless of source.

I would think about the piece and if the price is one that you are comfortable with and if you can't live without the cover.

Personally something about the size, shape and position of Spidey's right arm and the shape of his right hand bugs me, but that could be just me.

Art is subjective, you won't find a cheaper Mayhew of this quality so just determine if that the way you have to go, or if there is something you want more.

Chris

Just you, Chris wink.gif I think the right hand/arm looks fine (anatomically).

I agree with the other posters that 3K sounds high, but I know that most "popular" modern artists are seeking (and oftentimes getting) vintage art prices. Personally, I'd rather buy the older works, but there are plenty of folks who would rather buy the modern. It's a personal decision.

Whenever you buy modern, though, there's always that chance that it won't stand the test of time. With older art, you have the benefit of hindsight (how has the comic hobby and collectors viewed the work over time, does it have a place in comic history, first appearances, major plotlines, etc.). With modern art, it's tougher. That doesn't mean it isn't worth it, just that it's less of a sure bet.

I do like that image. My first impression when I went to the link was "WOW". It definitely would look great on the wall!

Best,

My first thought was, "Maybe if it was painted". Seems high for a pencil piece for a series that has now been cancelled. It's a nice Spidey/GG shot, but it doesn't take much hindsight to see that "the Pulse" covers will not be significant in the future. I'd say 2k at most...

Mayhew usually sells his painted pieces for this range - up. I would imagine when he sold it it was less. IMO.

Could be. I was watching all his Pulse covers when they came up for sale and remember that the ones with Spidey on them were extra pricey. I think $2500 is the cheapest Mike would have sold this for. (Or at least the cheapest he would have listed it for - I only assume they sold for list price.)

Either way - still too much IMO.

I agree with what Hari said... and, I've seen plenty of modern art selling in this range. This cover is very striking. If I were you I'd buy it. If it's overpriced it doesn't seem by much, and you have to measure that against the regret you might have if you pass. Seriously, I've only ever regretted pieces I've passed on, not the ones I've bought. I know that sounds trite but it's true. More often than not, I've 'over-payed' for an item, then low and behold sold it for more in the future. To be honest, I can probably count on one hand the number of pieces I've owned that the consensus of collectors said that it was well priced or cheap.(crappy sentence) Unless you are extremely lucky and quick with your timing, by definition you are going to be the 'high bidder' on a piece you buy. It's always a leap of faith. Go with your gut! Dan F.

I tried getting a deal, but that price is the non-negotiable. It's beautiful, but I don't want to overpay for a secondary artist. Thanks for your input everybody.

Jim

it's nice but from an artist i've never heard of who wants 3K? No.

Unless you are extremely lucky and quick with your timing, by definition you are going to be the 'high bidder' on a piece you buy.

I was going to say pretty much the same thing.

It all comes down to your motivation for buying this piece. Like other have said, this is in line with what a lot of modern covers go for, so it's not completely out of left field. And since it sounds like you're not buying to flip it, you just have to ask yourself whether or not it's worth 3K to you.

Unless you are extremely lucky and quick with your timing, by definition you are going to be the 'high bidder' on a piece you buy.

I was going to say pretty much the same thing.

It all comes down to your motivation for buying this piece. Like other have said, this is in line with what a lot of modern covers go for, so it's not completely out of left field. And since it sounds like you're not buying to flip it, you just have to ask yourself whether or not it's worth 3K to you.

Hey Jim nice to meet ya in Toronto. While I would echo the fact that if its close (a matter of a few hundred dollar) then I think with OA its better more often than not to pull the trigger. HOWEVER ...

In this case the artist is of little consequence to you and in general as he's new and not as established as other Spidey artists. My advice in this case would be too look for other images that catch you eye and see if there might be something in the 2K - 3K range that you like with Spidey and Goblin depicted. If not then this mightbe the piece for you right now.