• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Huge Art Day - Totleben Miracleman Pages

17 posts in this topic

This is the highlight of my collecting year thus far - two consecutive John Totleben pages from Miracleman 13, featuring a great story sequence and MM in every panel!

Check it out on my CAF gallery...

Many thanks to David Mandel for a quick and easy transaction.

Hi Solar,

Congratulations on two terrific pages! Dave had offered me those a couple months ago, and I really liked them. At the time, I had too many things on my plate so I passed. Wish I could have bought them!!

Big league stuff! Congrats! thumbsup2.gif

Overall I agree that Totleben is probably overrated...but not when it comes to Miracleman. Have you seen what those pages sell for?!?

Do you mean underrated?

What do his Swamp Thing pages go for?

He may generate intense enthusiasm amongst a few OA fans, but mention his name to the general collecting public and there's either a shrug or just a blank look. His work has certainly never broken out in terms of comic prices.

• Totleben Miracleman page on ebay went for $3650 (11/2005)

• Totleben Swamp Thing Cover at Heritage went for $5060 (7/2002)

• Totleben Swamp Thing interior page on ebay went for $1351 (8/2005)

In my opinion...Totleben Miracleman or Swamp Thing pages are worth every penny!

Overall I agree that Totleben is probably overrated...but not when it comes to Miracleman. Have you seen what those pages sell for?!?

Do you mean underrated?

He may generate intense enthusiasm amongst a few OA fans, but mention his name to the general collecting public and there's either a shrug or just a blank look. His work has certainly never broken out in terms of comic prices.

Thanks guys thumbsup2.gif

Regarding Totleben's Swamp Thing pages, I've seen them go from as little as $400 to as much as $4300 for a double pager featuring Constantine from his first appearance.

Totleben was primarily the inker for that series, although a lot of people remember him as the "artist" since most of the books he inked ended up looking more like his work than the penciler's. All Totleben pages do go for more than Veitch/Totleben, Bissette/Totleben and Woch/Totleben pages.

Do you mean underrated?

Thanks guys thumbsup2.gif

Regarding Totleben's Swamp Thing pages, I've seen them go from as little as $400 to as much as $4300 for a double pager featuring Constantine from his first appearance.

Totleben was primarily the inker for that series, although a lot of people remember him as the "artist" since most of the books he inked ended up looking more like his work than the penciler's. All Totleben pages do go for more than Veitch/Totleben, Bissette/Totleben and Woch/Totleben pages.

Prices are variable on his work because a large portion of the price valuation is dependant on the story content, since this after all is Alan Moore we're talking about! The art is great, but it's the story we're really collecting here.

The double pager with Constantine's first appearance was Veitch/Totleben. Veitch, Woch, Bissette...they were all good artists on the title whose work was undoubtedly enhanced by Totleben. But my favorite art in the series were from the all-Totleben issues.

I'll be posting an all-Totleben ST page shortly.

• Totleben Miracleman page on ebay went for $3650 (11/2005)

• Totleben Swamp Thing Cover at Heritage went for $5060 (7/2002)

• Totleben Swamp Thing interior page on ebay went for $1351 (8/2005)

In my opinion...Totleben Miracleman or Swamp Thing pages are worth every penny!

The following also sold on ebay in '04:

• Miracleman 15 page 15 - great page $4500

• Miracleman 15 cover - approx $12000

• Swamp Thing 37 page with Swampy and Constantine - $2300

any prices (other than the single Heritage one) for his ST cover paintings? those used to pop up with some regularity on eBay back in the late 90s but i can't remember the last time i saw one - anywhere - for at least four years.