• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

action #7 10 grand cgc G with 2 binder holes

13 posts in this topic

Hey, don't laugh, CGC slabbed a TOS 1 with THREE binder holes NM 9.2 GREEN qualified label. Saw it on Ebay about 2 years ago or I wouldn't have believed it!!! I think I cracked a rib rolling around laughing on my wooden floor!

How can that possibly be worth $10,750?

If somebody bids $10,750, it is worth $10,750. I wouldn't, but somebody probably will. That's an exceptionally tough book to find in any grade, and an unrestored one is even harder.

And Meth, stop bidding on the Captain America Annual 1. I don't want to get into a bidding war! grin.gif

it guides for over 2k in GOOD, aside from the holes it's nicer than your typical GOOD and, as people have mentioned, it's not exactly a common book so there will be some fussing and fighting over that one.

I didn't know it was over 2K in G. I don't have my Overstreet here.

But, like was said earlier, it sells for what someone is willing to pay for it. I don't think I'd even go the 2K for it. Holes just seem a bit too much for me!

It truly is a crime to see holes purposely punched in those books!

Actually I view in an entirely different light, as it demonstrates that comics were disposable goods that were purchased by children and mangled in any way they saw fit. That's the essense of a comic book, and seeing those hole punches should make you nostalgic, not angry.

Angry is seeing a pack of adults devouring a case of $4 Ultimate Spider-man books. grin.gif

There's some validity to that argument, for sure. And certainly a name scrawled on the cover in crayon is nostalgic. I still find it distasteful that someone would go to the trouble of punching holes in a comic. I mean it looks like that was done to help store them easier, not in some childish way of playing with them. Someone obviously took good care of this issue, except for the holes!

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I am new to the forum and I was going back through the old posts.. I have to say, I am fascinated by all the information I have gleaned from you guys!!

Anyway, I remember seeing this auction on eBay, and though the link to the auction has long since expired, I remember being wowed by the bids it was getting. The last bid I remember for it was something like $7k, although judging from the subject on this thread it went considerably higher than that.

This auction stuck out to me because when it was on ebay, it was not long after I had picked up a used copy of Heritage catalog for their (previous) July auction for reading material. I was just getting back into comics at the time and thought it would be interesting to see what kind of stuff was on the market. This comic obviously stuck out because of the hole punches. So when I saw it pop up on eBay, I went to the Heritage website to see what it realized just a few months earlier in July. It sold there for $2530.

Lot 5277 - Heritage Comics - Action #25 w/holes punched Hopefully this link works, but it might require you to login to their site. If so, you can search their prices realized archive for lot # 5277 to quickly find it.

Not a bad return on an investment after just a few months, I'd say.

Anyway, this has always stuck out to me and I was reading this thread and noticed that nobody else had mentioned this tidbit.

As an aside, Heritage had the Action #1 from this same collection, complete with binder holes, in their most recent San Diego auction. Their estimate for it was $38k and up, however it did not sell.

Lot 5646 - Heritage Comics - Action Comics #1 w/holes punched Same story with the link/lot number (5646) here as above.

Does anybody have any background on these early Actions with the holes punched in them?