• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hidden treasure - Happy Comics 33, Frazetta story

102 posts in this topic

So you were at your grandparents cabin on the lake in the summer of 1949. You were bored with the typical stuff - biking up and down the road, fishing, hanging out with your stupid cousins. You decided to hike down to the general store and see if they had any new comics.

You drop your 10 cents down on this:

happycomics033.jpg

and flip through it. The first couple stories are pretty good, but you get to the last one and are blown away.

Dan, thanks for posting that. It's always cool to see GA interior art of great artists, because usually all we see is the covers. To be honest, if you hadn't said it was Frazetta, I probably would never have guessed. The guy was such an amazing artist that he could mimic artists as diverse as Hal Foster and Al Capp.

To be honest, if you hadn't said it was Frazetta, I probably would never have guessed.

...or the big F.Frazetta sig in the first panel?

poke2.gif

Frank Frazetta is a genius. Genius, I say, and make no mistake

In Voice of Comicdom 17 (I think it was), the one with Corben's Rowlf cover, published by Rude franke back circa 1968 or so, there is a review of this period of Frank Frazetta's "Foster" period, and it was pointed out that is Happy 33 story plus "Lief the Lucky" by Fraazetta in Real Life 52 which came out around the same time had numerous panels Frazetta copies, almost to the point of looking like they were traced.

There are side by side comparisons of Foster PV panels with what appears in these Fritz stories. The old witch who ebgins on paghe 2 of this one is copies right out of Foster's PV.

Happy 33 and Real Life 52 are a couple of my all time favorite Frazetta comics. Real sleepers if you ask me

Robert Beerbohm

That prince looks more like Prince Valiant than Prince Valiant himself.

Thanks for the story time. 893applaud-thumb.gif

i probably wouldn't have seen this if not for FD mentioning it in the GA Covers Contest thread.

the very first panel after the small splash page immediately triggered a Hal Foster/Prince Valiant response in me. so i was stunned to see the Prince who freakin WAS prince valiant (well, you get the idea).

thanks FD........ thumbsup2.gif

the very first panel after the small splash page immediately triggered a Hal Foster/Prince Valiant response in me. so i was stunned to see the Prince who freakin WAS prince valiant (well, you get the idea).

That, and the fact that the girl is a dead-ringer, clothes, hair and jewelry, for Aleta, Prince Valiant's wife, as seen here in the last panel of the September 22, 1946 Sunday -

1218919-Aleta-September22-1946.jpg

1218919-Aleta-September22-1946.jpg.0510d89f5aa1e12ca0e939a197885b44.jpg

Of lesser interest (at least 2 of you will care), here's another 50's Everett Romance story I picked up this weekend to keep this story thread alive.

Forget that the story is the same as the other one I posted recently. Everett could have been an excellent letterer! Enjoy Fatal Error -

1219031-FatalError1.jpg

1219031-FatalError2.jpg.62a829a516e78053ac758f7f0d2d5abb.jpg