• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman vs X3?

Who will take in more?!!!  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Who will take in more?!!!

313 posts in this topic

Both comic book movies have a slight chance, but the smart money is on Pirates 2, Cars, MI3, or Da Vinci Code to take the crown.

Superman and X3 will likely be in the Top 5-10 of the year though.

gotta agree w/ JC here. My $ is on Pirates.

So far, MI3 has been a disappointment, and Da Code is getting lukewarm reviews. I think it's ging to be Pirates and Superman battling for top BO for the summer.

MI3 is half-dead already, and I don't think that Pirates 2 will do as much as some people think. Despite poor reviews, D-Code will rake in the cash, but i no longer think it's a lock for number one for the summer (maybe 2 or 3). Personally I don't think Cars looks all that hot either, but I'd never bet against Pixar. Superman should easily trounce X3.

I'll say: (1) Cars, (2) D-Code, (3) Superman, (4) Pirates 2, (5) X-Men 3

For comedies: The Break-up and Talledega Nights

I really love Pixar, but man, that Cars movie just looks dumb and ugly...and it doesn't sound like I'm alone in thinking that. confused-smiley-013.gif Could be the rare Pixar misfire.

I really love Pixar, but man, that Cars movie just looks dumb and ugly...and it doesn't sound like I'm alone in thinking that. confused-smiley-013.gif Could be the rare Pixar misfire.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw previews of Monsters inc and finding nemo. Mistaken on both parts.

Still think the Cars idea is kinda unappealing, although some newer clips seem to be a bit better....

I was thinking the same thing when I saw previews of Monsters inc and finding nemo. Mistaken on both parts.

Still think the Cars idea is kinda unappealing, although some newer clips seem to be a bit better....

My money is on "Cars" being a colossal disappointment, although not as measured in Disney animated disasters (The Wild? 893whatthe.gif).

At this point though, I think you have to give Pixar the benefit of the doubt until it's actually released. popcorn.gif

yeah, but everything Ive seen about Cars lately has made me think of one thing--- NASCAR tieins! And while I cant understand watching cars go in circles, it apparently IS the hottest and largest sports franchise! So just how many little boys and girls are gonna identify and enjoy friendly, funny, and maybe farting and belching car characters????

And I am sure it will be a good story and well written, like every other Pixar story so far. That is their strength - - good storytelling.

Well Da Vinci is getting hammered by critics but it's off to a strong start with almost $30 million opening yesterday. I doubt it will hold if it's truly as bad as the critics say.

I bet we will see over 50% drop off next weekend for Da Code.

The movie industry has a lot of parallels to comic books...it's an entertainment medium being challenged at every turn by other forms of entertainment...having inferior product out there doesn't help their cause any. I think movie theaters could just as well be the future dinosaur as much as the LCS.

JC, is my apprenticeship going well?

The movie industry has a lot of parallels to comic books...it's an entertainment medium being challenged at every turn by other forms of entertainment...having inferior product out there doesn't help their cause any. I think movie theaters could just as well be the future dinosaur as much as the LCS.

I think theaters need to make the leap to digital. Home Theaters are fast becoming better ways of viewing movies. Digital will make a better experience and it would be cheaper in the long run as studios will not have to make film prints and ship them.

Well Da Vinci is getting hammered by critics but it's off to a strong start with almost $30 million opening yesterday. I doubt it will hold if it's truly as bad as the critics say.

If the movie is bad, the drop off should be in the 60-70% range (The Hulk?).

There has been a movie that dropped almost 60% second weekend, and still made $250 million. popcorn.gif

I think theaters need to make the leap to digital. Home Theaters are fast becoming better ways of viewing movies. Digital will make a better experience and it would be cheaper in the long run as studios will not have to make film prints and ship them.

as you know, they still can't settle who will pay for the equipment. IMO the studios should pay since they will be saving millions in prints and shipping costs. But since they control the product, they can muscle the stores (theatres) into investing in new technologies. It seems that both will win out and the printmakers (Technicolor etc) now have a strong motivation to supply (and manage) the technology since they will suffer huge losses if they dont make the transistion themselves...

but I dont see how moviegoers will see digital as any differenmt than watching film..... If aanything the only benefit will be a vastly more varied schedule in theatres, who will be able to show ANY film at any timeslot they choose, rather than the old model based on the physical delivery of a print on a week by week basis.

That's not much of a prediction. MOST blockbusters drop 50% or more.

There are a lot of theaters in my area that ARE digital.

There is usually at least one or two screens per movie theater I go too.

I'll probably see Da Vinci Code at the ArcLight in Hollywood - it's playing on three screens, one of which is digital.

Us people in California (esp LA) are SNOBS. We have to have the best sound quality , best picture quality, etc. etc. insane.gif

the numbers are in... Da Vinci survived bad reviews.

Millions flock to Da Vinci Code

The film received its world premiere in Cannes last week

The Da Vinci Code movie took $224m (£119m) at box offices around the world at the weekend despite controversy and bad reviews, its distributor has said.

That is the second most successful film opening in history, Columbia said.

It could not beat Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, which made $253m (£135m) in its first weekend last year.

Many critics were disappointed with The Da Vinci Code film, while Catholic groups around the world have protested against its portrayal of the church.

In the US and Canada, it sold tickets worth about $77m (£41m) between Friday and Sunday, Columbia Pictures said - putting its performance the high end of industry expectations.

The film drew big crowds in China

But that was still some way behind the North American record for a debut weekend, which is held by the $115m (£61m) Spider-Man 2 earned in 2002.

Outside the US and Canada, though, The Da Vinci Code will have broken the record for ticket sales if the figures are verified, making $147m (£78m) in three days.

The previous best was the $145m (£77m) that fans outside North America spent on Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.