• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JC.....Something positive?

22 posts in this topic

Just an invitation for you to say a few things you enjoy about comic collecting.

(6 things?) grin.gif

Feel free to say positive things about any comic related movie you've seen, a positive comment about the modern (I mean if you've read any modern comics lately and don't mind admitting it....), Silver or Bronze Age.

....maybe something you liked about the last overstreet guide you bought....or read?

...How long has it been?

....Ummmm....something positive about the future of the hobby...anything? crazy.gif

And, just in case you feel you need to.....please don't take this as a back handed way of suggesting you are sooooooo.....negative.

......this is just an invitation for you to tell all of us.....why your here.

K? thumbsup2.gif

flowerred.gif

Just an invitation for you to say a few things you enjoy about comic collecting.

(6 things?) grin.gif

Feel free to say positive things about any comic related movie you've seen, a positive comment about the modern (I mean if you've read any modern comics lately and don't mind admitting it....), Silver or Bronze Age.

....maybe something you liked about the last overstreet guide you bought....or read?

...How long has it been?

....Ummmm....something positive about the future of the hobby...anything? crazy.gif

And, just in case you feel you need to.....please don't take this as a back handed way of suggesting you are sooooooo.....negative.

......this is just an invitation for you to tell all of us.....why your here.

K? thumbsup2.gif

flowerred.gif

popcorn.gif

How bout you nina? Quid pro quo

I will go first

Comics are great, they make me happy. I cannot explain why, they just do. I prefer a stack of reader comics on the nightstand over a few well read classic novels. While I do like novels.. my attention span lately relates iteself to comics vs novels. Reliving the past through a comic book is also as close as I will ever get to that time of my life.....ever.

Especially seeing how comics seem to capture a given time in a way other mediums often fail to will always draw me towards them as a source of escapism that no other medium offers, period.

Even all the recent hub ub cannot sway my interest, comic books are comic books. Only the people selling them changes daily, the genre should not bear the brunt of the greed of the few.

Be it the smell of old comics, or the entire genre as a whole..... comics make me just , well.. smile. smile.gif

Sappy?... yup.. but it's true. If I could turn it off I would. But I can't

There, I said it

Next

Ze-

I hope JC doesn't mind me having a shot at this ahead of his turn.

I grew up never having read a superhero comic until 3 years ago, I did however read tons of Donald Duck, Supergoof, Beagle boys etc.

It began with a cheap purchase of a near complete set of Marvel triple action comics purchased through Heritage. The avengers story's were amazing, finding out how story's continued from issue to issue and then finding that story's crossed over from one title to another.

This then lead to me putting together a run of Silver age/ Bronze age Submariner comics. After reading a few issues it became apparent that some of these were merely reprints from earlier comics.

Jumping foward to today and I am slowly collecting midgrade runs of TOS, Daredevil , Nick fury , Sgt Fury & Australian GA Blackhawk reprints.

This is so much fun & I love the storys. I have given some modern comics a go but the 50's , 60's & 70's have captured my heart.

At the begining I only collected Slabs but now I'm hooked with buying reading copies.

The other great experience has been these boards. I found them via an article posted by Doug on the Pedigree Comics website. Many of you hold so much knowlege regarding the comics industry. Sure we argue from time to time but what family doesn't.

It just doesn't get much better than that. cloud9.gif

Regards,

Russ flowerred.gif

?? confused-smiley-013.gif

Thats Great...

Thanks JC.

I enjoyed reading your posting on that thread a great deal.

The effort that you have gone to in scanning the adverts is appreciated.

Russ... hi.gif

?? confused-smiley-013.gif

Nice thread JC. Something I really wasn't looking for while reading the Bronze Age.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Wondering if comics advertising Hulk 181 could ever become keys. crazy.gif

I wonder when the demand will be met for Hulk 181 by the huge supply that exists? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Umm never gossip.gif

It will and the value for the book will eventually fall back to a "normal" state. There are so many high grade copies of that book out there that eventually the supply will be met (at the asking price of today). You'd be hard pressed convincing me that it's a good "investment" book. smile.gif

Well for every slabbed HG copy that sells, there are always another 5 in line for the next one.

I dont see prices climbing dramatically over the years but I also dont see them dropping.

Slabbed 9.4s will get you between $1800 - $2100 pending PQ and QP. I had alot of luck picking up a few raw ones over the last couple of years for fairly inexpensive prices, but they were all part of a lot deal.

Well for every slabbed HG copy that sells, there are always another 5 in line for the next one.

I dont see prices climbing dramatically over the years but I also dont see them dropping.

Slabbed 9.4s will get you between $1800 - $2100 pending PQ and QP. I had alot of luck picking up a few raw ones over the last couple of years for fairly inexpensive prices, but they were all part of a lot deal.

I just can't see those inflated prices lasting. In 1999, a NM copy of Hulk 181 would set you back $500. Now it's 4 times that. I just can't see that price inflation lasting forever. confused-smiley-013.gif

Isn't starting a thread to troll a Board member grounds for a strike?

I did not start this thread to troll a respected fellow board member. And I do mean that sincerely. I've always enjoyed JC's comments negative or positive and all I did was to invite him to specifically say a few positive things about the hobby.

Now, if you want to turn it into something it isn't....go ahead. But please don't point a finger at me.

I have absolutely nothing against JC and I hope the feeling is mutual.

I just can't see those inflated prices lasting. In 1999, a NM copy of Hulk 181 would set you back $500. Now it's 4 times that. I just can't see that price inflation lasting forever. confused-smiley-013.gif

If you guys are worried about the $2K price range for Hulk #181, how about the $20K price for the 9.8 copy or the supposedly turned down $50K price for the 9.9 copy. 893whatthe.gif

Any opinions as to whether these type of prices will hold for the uber HG copies? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Personally, I can easily think of a lot better books to be putting that kind of money into.

Isn't starting a thread to troll a Board member grounds for a strike?

I'm not sure JC? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

it is...and that's not j_c