• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has any other collectible ever overshadowed your interest in comics?

48 posts in this topic

Hi guys hi.gif, I haven't written here much in a while other than to sell a few things in Marketplace. Not because I don't like you all 893scratchchin-thumb.gif, but moreso because my comic collecting has just been overshadowed in the last three to four months by another collectible. I've talked about it before, it is bass guitars of course. Although I've been harassed by more than a few, more than even a dozen perhaps, of you guys for not reading the comics I buy makepoint.gif well... other bass collectors cannot harass me for not playing the bass guitars that I buy, because I am buying them more to use them cloud9.gif than to just have them sit in a case or stand and look pretty. No basses go into any slabs, that's fo' sure.

So my question to you guys is, not counting necessities that can get in the way, have you ever had your love of comic books either temporarily or permanently replaced with a passion for another totally unrelated form of collectibles? And if so, how long did it last, and did you ever get back to comics the way you were before the switch?

Although I still love the books I have, my desire to buy more has mostly diminished, and I'm hoping it comes back. I'm heading to San Diego in July (14th year in a row) where I really want to be hyped up again. -----Sid

Recent purchase:

1222821-53_12.jpg

1222821-53_12.jpg.a55cce68eee3c337dc28c28c651d7d1a.jpg

I've sort of had the reverse happen. I was big into buying baseball cards and memorabilia, which comics replaced about 4 or 5 years ago.

I collect lots of other things besides comics, but I wouldn't say any of them has overshadowed my comic collecting (atleast in the last few years).

All the time!!! I hate it too. I don't always have another hobby that overshadows my comic interest, but I just lose interest. After spending so much time on the boards, on eBay, reading comics, reading about comics, etc, I just tire of them and see them as the paper they are, and think of other ways my money and time could be used. However, like clockwork, my interest in comics always returns. I'm anticipating my next loss of interest, and have to remind myself not to sell, because I'll be back.

Interestingly enough, another interest of mine is guitar (6-string, not bass). Been playing since I was 13. I think to myself, "Why would I spend $2000 on comics, when that could buy me an awesome American Jackson, or a nice Marshall head?" How can you save up $2000, and spend it on a slabbed bunch of paper, instead of a Marshall amp? OK, I'd better stop because comic doubt is really setting in. No joke.

While not really a collectible I do have another place that some of my hard earned money goes.

I grew up racing BMX bikes as a teenager during the early to mid 80's.

During the mid/late 90's I wanted to get back into BMX but it had died out somewhat.

I friend of mine owned a bikeshop and suggested that I give Mountain Biking a try.

I have never had the endurance to be a good Cross country racer however my BMX bike handling skills and short burst power has proven to be handy for Downhill Mountain bike riding/racing.

Russ...

1222877-Bikes1001.jpg

1222877-P1010003.JPG

1222877-P1010003.JPG.a24d9d09a30e7ab33a4dd7e3337bb523.JPG

What's up with the coffee cans?

Kick stands too cool for ya smile.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

After spending all that money you would think that they might throw in a few things like the kickstand

And what about a few nice things like a little flag & some reflectors .

Hi guys hi.gif, I haven't written here much in a while other than to sell a few things in Marketplace. Not because I don't like you all 893scratchchin-thumb.gif, but moreso because my comic collecting has just been overshadowed in the last three to four months by another collectible. I've talked about it before, it is bass guitars of course. Although I've been harassed by more than a few, more than even a dozen perhaps, of you guys for not reading the comics I buy makepoint.gif well... other bass collectors cannot harass me for not playing the bass guitars that I buy, because I am buying them more to use them cloud9.gif than to just have them sit in a case or stand and look pretty. No basses go into any slabs, that's fo' sure.

So my question to you guys is, not counting necessities that can get in the way, have you ever had your love of comic books either temporarily or permanently repl

So my question to you guys is, not counting necessities that can get in the way, have you ever had your love of comic books either temporarily or permanently replaced with a passion for another totally unrelated form of collectibles? And if so, how long did it last, and did you ever get back to comics the way you were before the switch?

Yep- I was back and forth between beer cans and comics. I started collecting beer cans in 1975 at 10 or 11 years old and started comics seriously (condition-wise) at about 13. I quit both hobbies after high school for college and beyond, then about 10 years later got back into beer cans although that time around with money for the good cans! I still have my original large collection of beer cans at my parents' house but my 2nd collection was higher grade cone tops, focusing mainly on "crowntainers". Then I discovered ebay in 1997, sold my 2nd collection of beer cans there and started buying comics again. I still like to check out beer cans on ebay and sort by highest price. 007 and Playmate are some of the grail cans from the '60's, and high grade cones from the '30's and '40's are always in demand. Seems like the eras parallel comics.

Besides comics I collect DVD's, Sports cards (Hockey and Basketball) and I buy mountain bikes. The bikes have set me back tooo much money but they are more fun then comics or cards.

Originally collected comics from 1975-80 then collected baseball cards from 1986-90 ( I should have bought the Michael Jordan rookie card for 7.00 but thought it was too much money makepoint.gif) and then got back into comics in july 1992.

I still have an old Eldon road race set I played a lot with as a kid with my brother. I've decided that once the basement renovations are done...I'm gonna' put it together to see if it still works. It's been in storage for about 40 years and seems to be in good shape. I know what will help, is I'll be able to get whatever parts I need from e-bay.

Once it's set up, I'm going to invite me brother over and surpise him. I really don't think he knows I've still got it.

Not going to over-shadow my comic collecting.....

my comic collecting has just been overshadowed in the last three to four months by another collectible. I've talked about it before, it is bass guitars of course. Although I've been harassed by more than a few, more than even a dozen perhaps, of you guys for not reading the comics I buy makepoint.gif well... other bass collectors cannot harass me for not playing the bass guitars that I buy, because I am buying them more to use them cloud9.gif than to just have them sit in a case or stand and look pretty. No basses go into any slabs, that's fo' sure.

Sid, are you buying new basses only? Have you purchased any vintage basses, particularly from a rock memorabilia auction? Every now and then I think of buying one, because not only would I pick up a great quality bass, but there`d also be the cachet of having been owned/played by a rock star.

Crowntainers! I used to have all 3 of those, now I just have a beater of that Ebling. 27_laughing.gif

Those all look real nice! I always liked the graphics on that Iroquois.

Interestingly enough, another interest of mine is guitar (6-string, not bass). Been playing since I was 13. I think to myself, "Why would I spend $2000 on comics, when that could buy me an awesome American Jackson, or a nice Marshall head?" How can you save up $2000, and spend it on a slabbed bunch of paper, instead of a Marshall amp? OK, I'd better stop because comic doubt is really setting in. No joke.

EXACTLY my thought process!! Although I'm not buying any basses that are in the $2,000 range, there are plenty in the $500-$1,000 range that I've thought would be money certainly more well spent than on a comic (or several comics) that are just paper and would sit in a box or shelf. That's how my mind has been rationalizing it recently at least. Guitars and basses take up a hell of a lot more room though, the only downside I can see. confused-smiley-013.gif

headbang.gif

I have an interest in a wide variety of collectibles, which I sell, with the intention of purchasing Comics. Then, my wife ends up spending the money out of my PayPal for stupid things like food or gasoline. 893whatthe.gifIt's a viscious cycle.

my comic collecting has just been overshadowed in the last three to four months by another collectible. I've talked about it before, it is bass guitars of course. Although I've been harassed by more than a few, more than even a dozen perhaps, of you guys for not reading the comics I buy makepoint.gif well... other bass collectors cannot harass me for not playing the bass guitars that I buy, because I am buying them more to use them cloud9.gif than to just have them sit in a case or stand and look pretty. No basses go into any slabs, that's fo' sure.

Sid, are you buying new basses only? Have you purchased any vintage basses, particularly from a rock memorabilia auction? Every now and then I think of buying one, because not only would I pick up a great quality bass, but there`d also be the cachet of having been owned/played by a rock star.

Tim, no I haven't. Except for a slightly used Rickenbacker 4003 that I sold soon after purchasing, everything else has been new. Although I can understand the appeal for vintage guitars (the REAL collectibles of the bass and guitar world) it hasn't hit me yet. Perhaps this is because my deal-seeking tendencies that I always had with comics has now transferred to the guitars. I've been seeking deals on what I believe are underpriced guitars such as new "B" models (slight blemish in the finish) or returned items that are selling at discounts. Since almost all my purchases are online, I've had to resell a few, but I've had great luck with most. I'm up to about 20 now with five more that I am holding to resell.

Someday I may get into vintage basses, just not yet. However I did sell parts to a vintage 1978 Fender Jazz Bass (at least according to some, before 1980 is "vintage") that I bought as a kid, surprisingly those parts sold for well over what I had estimated. It's just like the Gold vs Modern comic debate. Some people may want to buy into the history of the Golden Age of electric guitars (late 50s/early 60s) or some may want the technically advanced Modern guitars. Since I am fairly new at being a collector, I am going new all the way. Longtime player (30+ years), new collector. Some day I hope to be able to afford a Near Mint early 60s Fender Precision bass but the "rock star owned" instruments don't appeal to me at this time.

EXACTLY my thought process!! Although I'm not buying any basses that are in the $2,000 range, there are plenty in the $500-$1,000 range that I've thought would be money certainly more well spent than on a comic (or several comics) that are just paper and would sit in a box or shelf.

Oh sure, I just used $2000 to make a point. Three years ago, I paid $400 for a new 2002 model Ibanez RG Prestige, that listed for $1000 when first released. That $400 could have bought me a sweet comic, but not near as much enjoyment. I paid $800 on car stereo equipment last year, as well as $300 for an iPod. I can't imagine giving all that up for 2 or 3 comics that I can't even read.