• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has any other collectible ever overshadowed your interest in comics?

48 posts in this topic

Once Baseball cards took over my life for about 2-3 years. I was a big Mickey Mantle and Roberto Clemente guy.

I was always a huge baseball card collector but when PSA started I was buying Mantles and Clementes like crazy.

Back in 98 Mego Toys gave me the bug for about 4 years. I put together a very large mint collection.

The comics were always being collected through all of this but these became the focus for those periods.

I've at one time collected or still collect: movies, sports cards, and Star Wars stuff. I just sold some of my PSA Star Wars cards to help pay for some of comics I just bought.

Unfortunately, I used to get side-tracked on other hobbies all the time. I'm REALLY trying not to these days. I end up coming back to comics and really regretting the money I spent elsewhere. Worked pretty well this last year and I can hopefully keep it up.

Some hobbies I spent (wasted) money on: Sports Cards, Collectible Card Games (man, REALLY wish I had not spent it there), Action Figures (DOH), and comic-related items like Posters or lithos.

The only items I'm glad I purchased were carded vintage Star Wars , vintage He-man, and Secret Wars figures. They are just great fun to look at.

Pat

Mostly collected from late 80's to mid 90's...then switched to Magic the Gathering for a few years (got in pretty early so I made a few bucks selling...although I sold my mint Beta Black Lotus too soon...made 15 bucks on my 65 dollar sale frustrated.gif

Got back into comics within the last year and a half...I was going through my boxes of Valiant comics and decided to complete the set...went to valiantcomics.com and eventually here...now I'm buying high grade TTA's and Hulks...instead of shivan dragons and x-men 1's...

My main focus is on comics these days, but I also collect autographs and sports memorabilia.

I need to mix it up once in a while... when one hobby starts to wear me down and it becomes more of a hassle than fun, I switch gears into my other focus.

My fear however, is that autographs is a hobby that will eventually collapse under the weight of the thousands of forgeries entering the market everyday. No matter how authentic my items may be, they are devalued everytime a fake sells on ebay. In 20 years, will anyone know what's real and what's fake anymore?

In comics there is the obvious demographic problem looming on the horizon...

So it seems both of my hobbies have dim long term prospects. frown.gif

So my question to you guys is, not counting necessities that can get in the way, have you ever had your love of comic books either temporarily or permanently replaced with a passion for another totally unrelated form of collectibles?

Two Words:

red_pack2.gif

tongue.gif

Boy, I loved those when I was a kid (especially Hostile Thinkies)! About 6 or 7 years ago Neat Stuff Collectibles was selling a whole bunch of uncut sheets at the San Diego Con. They made quite a splash! thumbsup2.gif

Boy, I loved those when I was a kid (especially Hostile Thinkies)! About 6 or 7 years ago Neat Stuff Collectibles was selling a whole bunch of uncut sheets at the San Diego Con. They made quite a splash! thumbsup2.gif

Hostile Thinkies is definitely one of the best titles from Series 8. It is actually going to be

one of the die-cut magnet inserts in All New Series 4, coming this summer!

hostilethinkies.jpg

Hostile Thinkies is definitely one of the best titles from Series 8. It is actually going to be

one of the die-cut magnet inserts in All New Series 4, coming this summer!

hostilethinkies.jpg

I still have mine that I bought as a kid.....now you're reminding me of all the things I collected in my younger days.

Very fun and nostalgic.

I guess to be true to myself, I also collected BB cards for a while, and have thousands of nice cards, but I liked hockey cards better. I also have monster feature creature cards, old star trek mego dolls under the house somewhere (full set minus the romulan) and then I also have my original LP records, some interesting books, my coin collection is hit or miss with some really nice ones, and then I also have a ton of esoteric stuff.

I'd better start cleaning house. Ebay here I come.

insane.gif

Oh yes, and Johnny West Dolls, evil kneivel, my old lunchpails, GI Joes, Lionell train set that was my fathers from the 30's, and that's not all..... 893whatthe.gif

My favorite:

pupsi.jpg

Had a lot of them, but tossed (most of) them out before/after some move. foreheadslap.gif

Other things I collected... before comics, I collected stamps and coins.

After I quit comics the first time, I collected Six Million Dollar Man and Star Trek stuff.

Now, I am back in comics (but winding down a bit) and thinking that this will be largely it for collecting. The older I get, the less stuff I want to have around.

I guess I do get a thrill when I get a new hand tool.

Or is that when the Missus handles my tool... insane.gif

I've decided to join perhaps the largest group of collectors in the world... Yes, I've decided to collect "money". Condition doesn't matter.. just the quantity. devil.gif