• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your job?

121 posts in this topic

Retired Convention and Trade Show supervisor, currently killing time with a retail comic book store until I can one of my novels published...

----------

Anyone who knows 1930's cereal premium comics, please PM me. Just received on consignment a collection whose nine titles combine for zero matches on Google...

I'm a freelance writer, credits include staff writer on "Weird Science" (TV show) and Wonder Woman Secret Files (DC Comics)

I'm a voice actress (besides lots of commercial work, I did an episode of "Rugrats")

I also wrote and am teaching a distance education course in comedy for Education to Go (the web's biggest supplier of online classes. My class just launched)

And because none of this is making me much money right now, I'm selling off possessions on ebay.

-- Joanna

I work as a college counselor (and ninth grade English teacher) at a small independent school; I used to be in college admissions in Boston but the cost of living got too high for my wife and me. Wisconsin is much more sane. cool.gif

I have been collecting comics since '76 (7 years old) when my brother showed me copies of Fantastic Four #172 and Hulk #199. The best part about my job is that I have a bunch of comics on my wall in Showcase Sealers - FF #37, TOS #87, X-Men #8, Hulk #141, Avengers #10, Sub-Mariner #1, Iron Man #3 (all 7.5 - 8.5, good to look at). The kids love seeing the old .12 covers and asking "Where are Batman and Spider-Man and Superman?" "Overexposed," I answer.

More interesting is my wife's job as the campus minister for our local university while she studies for her Ph.D in Education full-time. The position comes with an apartment (parsonage) for free, which is why I can blow money on high-grade Silver for a few more years! wink.gif

Dan

Former equities trader (traded canadian stocks). Laid off in the worst bear mkt in history. Now enjoying semi-retirement. Zero jobs available in my field, and if they were available, not sure if I would take them. Unless an interesting opportunity arises, retirement @ 32 sound good to me.

Oy, now you did it Joanna. My son wants to know WHICH voice you did on Rugrats, in which episode. He is your new best friend

Tell him I love having a new best friend, and I played Ilsa, the Swedish dog groomer (the kids called me a "dog broomer"). It's aired about 150 times, so chances are, he's seen it.

-- Joanna

I work as a screenwriter, full time and am working my off to become a full time director(alot harder than it sounds). I wrote some pretty regretable straight to video , as well as the two new Judge Dredd movies currently in pre-production with sights of shooting in India by the end of the year. I love what I do for a living and it gives me the extra bucks to buy all them funny books that I love so much.

I collect Bronze and silver mainly with an eye on cool Golden from time to time, but I am new to the market again and I don't have that many contacts in the area when it comes to Golden.

'best

Bronzejunkie

Bronzejunkie, I think I hooked you up with a few Marvel & DC Bronze #1's last year? Glad to see you on the forums grin.gif

How goes the hunt for the high grade Li'l Pals run? grin.gif

Hey, Hogations...

You totally hooked me up, but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was I bought off of you(have to look through my files)... Also, the Li'l Kids run isn't going well at all, still on the lookout for a kick- #1(anyone out there???) as well as a Li'l Pals#1(once again... anyone???) and a Binky's Buddies#1 would be sweet as well... Oh, the list goes on and on and on...

'best

Bronzejunkie

PS:

Hows that Groovy#1(9.0) you got off Greggy treat'n you.... WOW! $52.00 I think you paid? You scored huge, good on'ya. Greggy if you have another I have 52 American greenbacks just burning a hole in my pocket.

Oh, now I remember... Shazam#1(Nm) and a few other more common ones... Everyone listen up... Hogations is a great seller and his gradeing is beyond exceptional... That was a great deal you gave me... What was your websight address again? I have to go back.

'best

Bronzejunkie

Thanks Bronzejunkie grin.gif

Site address is http://www.retro-comics.com

I haven't added much in terms of content/stock in a long time.

The Groovy #1 was a steal (greggy, i'm gonna owe you a few more Ragmans). I haven't received them yet but eagerly waiting. I still need a high grade L'il Kids #1 as well frown.gif

Hey, Bronty...

Sorry i didn't get back to you before about the Vancouver show thing... I do go to shows regularly and pick up odds and ends... Alot of slim pickings to be had though and it is kind of sad. Are you a dealer?

Bronzejunkie

No worries, thanks for the reply.

I'm a collector as opposed to a dealer. I only sell doubles, or once in a while I'll sell books I no longer want.

I have had tables at the shows before, but only once in a blue moon, and even then my biggest problem is when someone actually wants to buy something! When I do get a table, I'm really just there for the early admission smile.gif

Yup, the Vancouver shows are pretty sad, but if you're ever at one, and you find John Kubasek's table, there's a pretty good chance you'll see either myself, greggy or odin at it.

You're a collector, not a dealer, as well?

Exotic Male "Comic Relief" Dancer...

Basically I'm supposed to do a humorous striptease to get the women laughing (which isn't difficult since I have an average physique) before the "true beefcake" come on. When they do... the women are even hotter as there is such a drastic difference between myself and the real dancers. I don't care though because I'm well paid. grin.gif Sometimes I receive "sympathy attention" as well... gotta' love that smirk.gif

Currently getting a Master's in Finance..but when I have time my "official" title is property manager...also the minor partner in a rental property llc and I like to lose money in the stock market.

Brian