• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many estimated copies exist of Marvel price variants?

37 posts in this topic

No idea, but there are some basic rules, all other things being equal:

35-centers are rarer than 30-centers.

Reprints are rarer than first-run.

Esoteric is rarer than mainstream.

Rarity does not equal higher-priced.

You ask a very good question. Joe's above comments are a pretty good start.

For starters Westerns, Hanna Barbera (Scooby Doo & Flintstones), War Comics, and Horror ones are the rarest.

When you compare the Super Hero titles look at the circulation at the time to get an idea of which one has titles had more copies. That is a pretty good indicator.

The reprinted titles are indeed a nightmare sometimes to find too.

I think everyone will agree Stars Wars 1 is the most common, but still brings in high $$$ because of crossover appeal.

X-men and Spiderman always do well and sell well over guides. Because of the somewhat rarity and crossover appeal.

IF 14 is for set chasers and people with alot of cash at least in high grade.

Even VG copies will sell well over guide on most due to scarcity though.

Its not condition that matters alot of times as it is one of the hardest sets for collectors to make and I only know one person who has made the set.

I must thank SA also a few years back for getting involved in this variant madness hunt. Its the funniest time I have had chasing books in years. And no I dont feel like I hurt my hobby by chasing these 35 centers its fun, a challenge, and I have met the most amazing people doing it.

Enjoy the hunt and welcome to the club Miles.

Kid Colt 218

3 known copies?

And Darth has all 3 copies yeahok.gif

Which begs the question, if Darth has all 3 copies, and a tree falls in the woods, do they exist? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Has the list of actual estimated copies been compliled? I'd be surprised if one of you variant collectors hasn't go a good guestimate going.

Hasn't silverandbronze done something like that? confused-smiley-013.gif

There is no existing list yet on estimated copies and I doubt there will ever be one.

The sheer amount of time involved would be ridiculous. Several collectors have figured out where the distribution sites where and have a very good idea of what states have the most variants.

There are several good 30/35 variant sites up now, but none can give you an accurate number. Less then 10 copies exist on several of the books mentioned above. I cant for the life of me remember which one has the lowest exact number, but I do know that one of the rarest ones sold for over $1k last year.

Personally I have no desire to collect the set, but if I totaled I guess all the books that have gone thru my hands in the 3 years I have been collecting these I would say about 40. Some bought, some sold, some traded. Once you get to know the big boys in this field you can network very well quick.

Other then a few whackoos you will find most of us very friendly and full of information and advice. Good Luck Have fun. There is a 35 center sitting in your comic shop just go look.(Well maybe one in your state somewhere.)

There is no existing list yet on estimated copies and I doubt there will ever be one.

The sheer amount of time involved would be ridiculous. Several collectors have figured out where the distribution sites where and have a very good idea of what states have the most variants.

There are several good 30/35 variant sites up now, but none can give you an accurate number. Less then 10 copies exist on several of the books mentioned above. I cant for the life of me remember which one has the lowest exact number, but I do know that one of the rarest ones sold for over $1k last year.

Personally I have no desire to collect the set, but if I totaled I guess all the books that have gone thru my hands in the 3 years I have been collecting these I would say about 40. Some bought, some sold, some traded. Once you get to know the big boys in this field you can network very well quick.

Other then a few whackoos you will find most of us very friendly and full of information and advice. Good Luck Have fun. There is a 35 center sitting in your comic shop just go look.(Well maybe one in your state somewhere.)

I've got a few common 30 centers and one of the reprints that hard to come by. (or so I'm told).....I never collected them, but always knew they were in the collection somewhere. I finally searched the entire collection and only came up with three or four, and no 35c variants. I can tell you Alaska was not a distribution area. 893censored-thumb.gif

I've got a few common 30 centers and one of the reprints that hard to come by. (or so I'm told).....I never collected them, but always knew they were in the collection somewhere. I finally searched the entire collection and only came up with three or four, and no 35c variants. I can tell you Alaska was not a distribution area. 893censored-thumb.gif

hey Collin--I got all the variants in Alaska before I left.......... hi.gif

Yet it's still a paper gold mine! 893applaud-thumb.gif

hey Collin--I got all the variants in Alaska before I left.......... hi.gif

Why do I still have 4? 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif Where did you get them from..... 893naughty-thumb.gif

you could paper the smithsonian with Howard the Duck 30 centers, by the way. hell, even i have two of them