• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are you reading this week?

40 posts in this topic

Another one.....

In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.

-- Carl Sagan, 1987 CSICOP keynote address

I can't remember the last time it happened in science confused.gif

hail.gif

Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson...don't usually read fantasy, but this series is like reading the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire mixed with Glenn Cook's The Black Company novels...Awesome.

Hook...Sagan is one of my all time favorite's...I love watching that old Cosmos series he did and another good book of his - Broca's Brain. His metaphor's and overall writing style are very impressive for anyone, let alone a mere physicist.

I agree. But at the risk of offending some good folks on the boards, I'm not going to get any further into a religion vs science debate on the boards.....not the place.

Fear Agent, Some Bronze Age HOS & Phantom Strangers I just bought, Bone - The Complete Volume, The artist's way : a spiritual path to higher creativity (my whole family is trying to get me to start painting again), and re-reading Princess of Mars (mostly just staring at the Frazetta covers and wishing I could paint like that).

I was jonesing for something to read and just grabbed an older book. One of those 6-books-for-a-dime-if-you-rejoin SF bookclub books, sitting there for years...

Great read. thumbsup2.gif A very light summer popcorn-type book, hard to put down. A first person look at having a mutant-type power...to teleport instantly somewhere else...

"Jumper" by Steven Gould 1991. Opening sentence: "The first time was like this."

031gou01.jpg

Then looking online I see it took ten years, but he did write a sequel. Great! I won't have to wait...

rflg.jpg

Have you ever read the Alfred Bester classic..."The Stars My Destination"? Gully Foyle is the main character who finds he can "jaunt" out of the wreckage of a space ship. Good stuff.

Red

Have you ever read the Alfred Bester classic..."The Stars My Destination"? Gully Foyle is the main character who finds he can "jaunt" out of the wreckage of a space ship. Good stuff.

Red

cloud9.gif How about The Demolished Man(think 's Minority Report but published earlier...1951 or so) or try some great short stories...Fondly Farenheit to name one off the top of my head and an all-time favorite).

Red

cloud9.gif How about The Demolished Man(think 's Minority Report but published earlier...1951 or so) or try some great short stories...Fondly Farenheit to name one off the top of my head and an all-time favorite).

Yeah! Classic!

might just finish my savage sword run this week. currently reading #227. started sometime in march and found the time to re-read king conan. been reading lotsa' bronze age since the new year and it wasn't hard to understand why Conan was the hit it was when it came out.