• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many other guy slabs do you have???

53 posts in this topic

a rough estimate would be about a couple hundered slabs remaining and of those about a dozen or so are PGX. (even have one of the originals w/o the hard case).

i bought all of the PGX's off e-bay because of the proces and the possibility that they were reasonably graded. (i figured at worst they are still more accurate than the typical ebay seller.........) tongue.gif

67 CGC slabs, one of which is a 9.2---the rest are 9.4-9.6. I think I am starting to see a pattern. tongue.gif

I have one CGG slab that I actually just purchased. It is a Captain Marvel 25 in 9.4 and the only reason I bought it was due to the fact it had been graded over 2 years ago. I would not purchase any recently graded books from them, if I buy any more at all. I don't always agree with CGC, but I am glad they are around as buying raw off ebay is chapping me...well....raw.

Scott

I have (148) CGC and (1) 3PG of Daredevil #1 vol 2. I just wanted to see what their holder looked like.

I don't have any PGX, never had, never will. I've seen their booth up at the Portland show but never even stopped to look.

And, I really wish people would stop with the judging of the whole state of Oregon just by a couple of crooks in Eugene. Why don't we all start picking on all Floridian's because of J. Ewert. Or how about lynching all the New Yorkers because of all the restored books that have come out of that state. Really, it's getting old.

Ive got 1 other guy slab. A Conan 21 (i think) that Redhook gave me in a deal. Ive also got 2 CGC slabs, an Avengers 93 9.0 and a Cap 110 Boston 9.2. However, they wont be entombed long. Im cracking them and mylaring em with a fullback acclaim.gif

Tell me, is not a slab a good thing for preserving our all important high grades. I personally couldn't trust myself winthin 2 feet of my high grade copies, and get readers. Am I missing something?

well I have 5 CGC slabs (all GA books) and 4 PGX slabs (2 GA, 1 SA, 1 Bronze), I submitted all the PGX books myself, so no trimming or funny business going on,

I hadn't even heard of PGX until I saw Skybolt's slabbed Good Girl books thread, and he had several PGX graded books in his collection, so then I decided to give PGX a try.

I do much prefer there inner well design, it's very similar to a rigid mylar sleeve, and then encased in a hard outer shell.

I hope that if and when PGX goes under, that CGC would adopt a similar inner well design,.SCS is real no matter how much CGC chooses to ignore it, I hardly ever see it on GA books maybe due to them being thicker and heavy cover stock, but I see it all the time on silver/bronze/modern.

or at least give each submitter a choice on the form, to where you can choose which type of inner well design you'd like.. square (CGC) or tapered (PGX).

I bought a Batman #251 CGC 9.4 w/white pages on eBay... and when I received it the whole right side was curving under, and I didn't know why it looked so funny until of course I got educated here on the boards about SCS, I have since sold it,. and of course described the SCS damage to the next buyer, I lost $50 on the resell.

I realize that things look very bleak for PGX right now and if they are guilty of trimming books just for the $$$ then they should be forced out of the hobby,. I was willing to at least give their services a try, I just hope that if another legitimate competitor comes along that we at least give them the benefit of the doubt before we condemn them.

thedude out.

Four slabbed books in my collection, all CGC. I did at one time have a CGG slab, but I cracked it open to enjoy the purty Matt Baker artwork.

I would not purchase any recently graded books from them, if I buy any more at all.

Out of curioisity, in your opinion, is there a problem with recently graded books? Just solicting additional information based on this comment.

Ive got 1 other guy slab. A Conan 21 (i think) that Redhook gave me in a deal. Ive also got 2 CGC slabs, an Avengers 93 9.0 and a Cap 110 Boston 9.2. However, they wont be entombed long. Im cracking them and mylaring em with a fullback acclaim.gif

Tell me, is not a slab a good thing for preserving our all important high grades. I personally couldn't trust myself winthin 2 feet of my high grade copies, and get readers. Am I missing something?

As far as preserving grades, 893scratchchin-thumb.gif, i dunno. Ive seen too many cases of SCS (shaken comics syndrome) to trust the slab design. Also, I like the look and feel (not to mention easier to store and look at) of my books in mylar and a fullback. Plus, if I want to, I can read the durn things. Sure I have to crack them out, but Ive done roughly 25 of them and have yet to lower the condition of the book, but I dont worry about damaging them.

I guess it just boils down to I would rather have them raw than slabbed.

I hope that if and when PGX goes under, that CGC would adopt a similar inner well design,.SCS is real no matter how much CGC chooses to ignore it.

I recently talked to Steve Borock on this....some clarifying points:

• CGC has not ignored the SCS problem that the boards brought to their attention. I agree that they have not solved the problem entirely.
  • CGC has adopted a PGX style inner well for Modern books...and SCS for those tier books should be a thing of the past.
  • CGC has chosen NOT to implement the Modern well design into other tiers. Based on my discussion with SB on this the reason is that they would rather risk SCS than apply too much pressure (especially on thicker books) and cause the staple to be ripped from the cover. This reason seems valid to me, although I would still personally like to see a better design that can accomplish the goals of protecting the book. It's a feature that they advertise for crying out loud!

I think it would be worthwhile to keep this in the foreground, because I dare venture to think that the majority of collectors who buy slabs do not think the problem has been adequately addressed.

I think tearing the covers off the staple is a stretch (but hey, I don't do the slabbing for a living), but I have a concern that the pgx style and modern cgc style inner well will tend to bend over the overflash of a book (even small overflash), and on older books, can cause damage as the paper is not as plyable as newer books.

It depends on how close to the book, the seam is sealed.