• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Do You Keep Track of Your Comics?

56 posts in this topic

.Net app that I wrote that hooks into MS SQL Server. I know that I still need to fix a few bugs and then send it to one the forumites here.

* Adds to To-Do list *

Mica saw my database and made fun of me for listing the editor. yeahok.gif I realized he was right though when I started getting in lots of 50-100 comics and I didnt want to take all that time to enter all the info.
Well....you make me sound mean. frown.gif Tell the whole story, you thought I wasn't putting in enough details,

hence my comment in return. poke2.gif

but a lot of the books I collect are before the days of seeing a credits list on the splash page of each comic. confused-smiley-013.gif

But you were really getting carried away with listing the

Editor,

Janitor,

and Barometer readings on the day those DC's were printed. wink.gif

I don't use anything but my memory, and the closer that I get to 40, the harder it becomes to truly remember what I have. I like to go through my magazine boxes full of my mylared books and pull them out a few at a time and go "oh yeah, I forgot I had that one" I call it collecting alzheimers. No offense to anyone stricken with the real thing. I do however keep a database of my CGC'ed books with Title, Issue, Grade and page Quality and any Pedigree designation if applicable. It is only 70 books right now, and is something I can more easily manage considering my lack of time. Heck, the only time I can post on here is when I have a down minute here in the office. Hence my low post count for the past year.

Scott

If anyone wants to see how i organize my Comics in my Microsoft Excel file, i've attached a sample here.

LINK (scroll down mid-right side it will give you an option to download. The file is called "Sample.xls"

When i want to add new comics i simply click somewhere within my database, "Insert Rows" according to how many comics i need to add, and then highlight my whole database and sort the data. You need to be a bit Excel-proficient to do it, but it's really quite simple if you know how to manipulate the program.

I started using Excel about a year ago so that I could easily track and sort my collection. Also I wanted to be able to write macros that would work through the lists and print out a "Needed" list that would highlight gaps in my collection.

I have most of the columns in my Excel sheet that you're using but I don't track my purchase price. Here's my current list:

Title Vol Pub Date Printing Distributor Page Cnt Qty Cover Price Issue Nbr Grade Publisher Cond Notes Notes Format Cover Theme "LAST ISSUE" Sub Title

If anyone wants the the VB code I've written that will work through such an Excel list and create a text file showing the "Needed" issues to fill the gaps just PM me and I'll get it to you. It's not perfect and it has some customizations that work for me but might not for you (eg, it will lump Gold Key and Whitman published issues, for instance say Star Trek, under a single entry) so consider it a work in progress... no warranties for fitness of use.. usual disclaimers apply... your mileage may vary. foreheadslap.gif