• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How About This As A Definition For Restoration Pertaining To Comic Books?

143 posts in this topic

Interesting that you make light of this by making it appear that people in favor of disclosure are ready to haul off children to the pen.

Nice. Nothing like rational type but it's much easier to belittle or make up unrealistic analogies of something that you know is not going to happen.

How about this as a proposed definition for restoration as it relates to comic books:

Any attempt, amateur or professional, to enhance the appearance of a comic book.

popcorn.gif

I don't like it. (Sorry - there are 103 posts here and no time to read them all so just Pov's POV. The simplest way I would define restoration is:

"Any attempt, amateur or professional, that alters the physical structure or physical components of the book to achieve an enhanced appearance, increased strucural integrity or both."

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

I can see it now: "12-year-old comic collector who put a slightly rolled comic under a box to make it nice and flat hauled in and sentenced to 30 years for pressing."

Soon the whole world will be safe.

I would have expected better from a guy whose name appears in yellow. poke2.gif

Seriously, if you've been reading these threads, you'd see just how silly your comment is. foreheadslap.gif

I was actually just popping in to make a joke. That's all. Surely somebody around here can still be serious about this stuff but still laugh about it too?

Sigh.

Why don't you go burn down a children's hospital or evict some orphans, you demon! poke2.gif

How about this as a proposed definition for restoration as it relates to comic books:

Any attempt, amateur or professional, to enhance the appearance of a comic book.

popcorn.gif

I don't like it. (Sorry - there are 103 posts here and no time to read them all so just Pov's POV. The simplest way I would define restoration is:

"Any attempt, amateur or professional, that alters the physical structure or physical components of the book to achieve an enhanced appearance, increased strucural integrity or both."

I like it. thumbsup2.gif

popcorn.gif

I like it. thumbsup2.gif

I like it too. thumbsup2.gif The part about altering the physical structure or physical components gets rid of all these silly strawman arguments about bending a corner back with a finger or wiping some dust off.

popcorn.gif

I like it. thumbsup2.gif

I like it too. thumbsup2.gif The part about altering the physical structure or physical components gets rid of all these silly strawman arguments about bending a corner back with a finger or wiping some dust off.

Thanks folks! tth2 - you read my mind right there!

I was actually just popping in to make a joke. That's all. Surely somebody around here can still be serious about this stuff but still laugh about it too?

Sigh.

Then make use of the icons. You have a wide range of choice. poke2.gifhi.gif27_laughing.gifgrin.gifsmirk.gif

You are well aware that it is very difficult to assess sarcastic humor in print.

popcorn.gif

I like it. thumbsup2.gif

Interesting. So dry cleaning is not restoration then, under this definition?

But I guess bending back a bent edge with your finger would be, since you're altering the structure of the book when you do that. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sorry, not buying it. I'll stick with the AIC's definitions.

popcorn.gif

I like it. thumbsup2.gif

You know what else wouldn't count as restoration under this definition? Certain kinds of cleaning with volatile solvents that don't change the physical structure or components of the book because the volatile solvent evaporates completely. I'm not talking about the kind of solvent cleaning where you take the book apart and put it into a solvent bath. I'm talking about localized solvent cleaning where you rinse the inside of a glass with solvent and pour it out, then turn the glass upside down onto whatever you're trying to remove from the book (like a price sticker) until the solvent fumes have weakened the adhesive enough to remove it. Since you're not affecting the physical structure of the book or the physical components of the book (because the solvent evaporates completely once you take the glass away), you're not restoring it under this definition.

But I guess bending back a bent edge with your finger would be, since you're altering the structure of the book when you do that. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I was waiting for you, Scott! Actually, dry cleaning DOES impact the book. It impacts the gloss, it potentially impacts the ink. Perhpas very very slightly but it is impacting.

I am SO not going down the "bend the corner with your finger for the 100th time. OK - one quick trip. If the bend is so slight that the paper fibers are not damaged and the bend is simply reflecting the inherent flexibility range of the paper, then bending it back is not altering any of the structure or component. One could argue this further than every book is resotred as the pages bend when we read it but we unbend it when we close it. So come on, huh?

popcorn.gif

I like it. thumbsup2.gif

You know what else wouldn't count as restoration under this definition? Certain kinds of cleaning with volatile solvents that don't change the physical structure or components of the book because the volatile solvent evaporates completely. I'm not talking about the kind of solvent cleaning where you take the book apart and put it into a solvent bath. I'm talking about localized solvent cleaning where you rinse the inside of a glass with solvent and pour it out, then turn the glass upside down onto whatever you're trying to remove from the book (like a price sticker) until the solvent fumes have weakened the adhesive enough to remove it. Since you're not affecting the physical structure of the book or the physical components of the book (because the solvent evaporates completely once you take the glass away), you're not restoring it under this definition.

Then perhaps I should have made "structure" and "components" clearer. These would include things like ink transfer (aka oil transfer) stains, accumulated dirt, etc. In other words, ALL opf the physical components that currently make up the book in its present condition.

So allow me to make a clearer definition:

"Any attempt, amateur or professional, that alters the physical structure or inhernet and accumulated physical components of the book to achieve an enhanced appearance, increased strucural integrity or both."

or, for the nitty

"Any attempt, amateur or professional, that alters the physical structure or physical components of the book or accumulated foreign material to achieve an enhanced appearance, increased strucural integrity or both."

I was waiting for you, Scott! Actually, dry cleaning DOES impact the book. It impacts the gloss, it potentially impacts the ink. Perhpas very very slightly but it is impacting.

I am SO not going down the "bend the corner with your finger for the 100th time. OK - one quick trip. If the bend is so slight that the paper fibers are not damaged and the bend is simply reflecting the inherent flexibility range of the paper, then bending it back is not altering any of the structure or component. One could argue this further than every book is resotred as the pages bend when we read it but we unbend it when we close it. So come on, huh?

careful POV, I tried a similar manouever yesterday to no avail. keep reading!