• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the most you ever spent on a comic?

41 posts in this topic

got rid of ALL my comics(Very hard to do. sniff, sniff) and started collecting original comic art. I still buy the new monthly comics, about 100 a month, but I just read them and give most away. I knew I would be under the largest microscope this hobby has seen, except for maybe Bob and his price guide, so I did not want to be questioned about buying for or selling comics from my personal collection.

Steve, are you not allowed to collect or sell at all?

And I would think coming into work everyday, seeing that many books might turn you off a little towards collecting.

Kind of like a Gynecologist coming home to his wife.......

Just Joshin' -

I was gonna let that stew awhile but you all would have already heard about it if it were true...

Really, most I ever paid for a book still in my collection is ( I have NO idea )

if a book is to keep I am so wrapped up in how cool it is you could take my wallet.

I remember a book from my youth though that I made my first time payments on, it was All Flash Quarterly # 1 for $1,800.00 .

$115,000 nine years ago on the Edgar Church/Mile High copy of More Fun #52 and I even knew at the time that it had a very minor amount of work done to it. It is an AMAZING copy of that issue, by far the best copy I have ever seen, the inks still look wet! cloud9.gif

Long gone now frown.gif

Have you seen it come through CGC yet?

The most I ever spent on a comic for myself is $1500 for a Superboy #2, CGC 8.0 - the Highest Graded copy!

Heritage has a Superboy #1 CGC 9.0 in the San Diego auction that I really, really want, but it will probably go too high for me. But if Steve has lots of extra dough laying around, he could buy it for me. I'll trade you bunches of Dead CDs for it! laugh.gif

The More Fun 52 was sold at a Heritage auction in 2002. Grade was CGC 9.2 Universal with a note stating that there was a minor amount of glue on the cover! sumo.gif

The More Fun 52 was sold at a Heritage auction in 2002. Grade was CGC 9.2 Universal with a note stating that there was a minor amount of glue on the cover! sumo.gif

Price realized? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Don't remember! I'll do a search! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"Steve, are you not allowed to collect or sell at all? "

CGC would allow me to collect comics just not commericially buy and sell them.

I decided on my own that it would be better for CGC and the hobby if I took myself out of the vintage market altogether. I could never give up buying new comics, I read at least 1 new comic every night before bed, I am quite addicted to them blush.gif

Do you find yourself instinctively grading the new comics you buy? Or is it something that you can turn off?

I have heard filmmakers (especially cinematographers) describe the fact that they can no longer watch movies at all, because they are constantly catching themselves looking at the technical aspects of what the other filmmaker was doing.

Do you find yourself picking up your new issue of Ultimate Spider-Man and automatically starting to grade it?

CGC would allow me to collect comics just not commericially buy and sell them.

Steve - am a bit blurry on the concept of conservatio....errr...no....I mean...."commercially buy". What does that mean? Also, can there even be commercial buying if commercial selling isn't allowed? (sounds like I am leg-pulling but am serious)

When I say "commercially" I mean, I would not be able to take ads out in CBG or any other industry publication buying and selling comics. I would not be allowed to sell on ebay or other internet sites. I could not put out a catalog or purchase a collection for re-sale.

Most of us to support our habit, I mean collection smirk.gif, would sell something in order to "upgrade" a copy or get another comic we want more than the one we are selling and that would be fine under CGC guide lines. I do this with original comic art all the time.

I did not want to have to "walk a fine line" in regards to collecting comic books so I switched to original comic art.

12 cents for AF 15 back in 1962 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

You paid COVER PRICE?!?!? 893whatthe.gif I got my Action 1 second-hand for 5 cents back in 1940...you got ripped off pal. cloud9.gif

DAMN FF! always trying to out do the pimp! 893frustrated.gif893naughty-thumb.gifmakepoint.gifsumo.gifstooges.gifboo.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893Funny-thumb.gif