• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry Weist auctions up on ebay

89 posts in this topic

Really? The ASM pages are nice, but the starting prices seem a little on the high side.

Those starting prices are at least 20-25% below what at least three of the main Romita collectors would pay for those pages. These are large art Romita Sr. ASM pages...which there were only 15 issues of ASM that were large art (including the annual).

Due to market constraints and lack of art available you are looking at a floor of $10k for pages with any kind of action on them, and these pages are superb. There are alot of people I know that would have hit the "Buy it now" immediately at $9k if it were an option.

Chris

Really? The ASM pages are nice, but the starting prices seem a little on the high side.

Those starting prices are at least 20-25% below what at least three of the main Romita collectors would pay for those pages. These are large art Romita Sr. ASM pages...which there were only 15 issues of ASM that were large art (including the annual).

Due to market constraints and lack of art available you are looking at a floor of $10k for pages with any kind of action on them, and these pages are superb. There are alot of people I know that would have hit the "Buy it now" immediately at $9k if it were an option.

Chris

BIN options are completely different from a high starting bid though, and I just think these high levels scare off too many potential bidders.

If the starting bids are so far below market why are there no bids yet? confused-smiley-013.gif

Chris

BIN options are completely different from a high starting bid though, and I just think these high levels scare off too many potential bidders.

If the starting bids are so far below market why are there no bids yet? confused-smiley-013.gif

Because there are ten days to go? I wouldn't worry about these pages selling. Jerry has really high sell-through and generates really high closing bids (being one of the pillars of the hobby does that for a guy.)

Ok, I'm a little confused. There were bids placed against two pages Jerry was selling from ASM 44. I didn't really notice the page numbers, but just was curious what they would close for.

I look on e-bay today and now see two pages Jerry is selling from ASM 44, with currently no bids on either page. Ok, not sure if they were the same pages, but the question I have are:

(1) If they are the same pages, what happened to the bids? There are no bid retractions.

(2) If they are not the same pages, why is there no sign of the original pages (ie Jerry had four different pages from this issue) in the completed auctions?

(3) It appears to me they were the same pages and have been re-listed. Obviously on e-bay the seller can pretty much do what ever they want and I guess I don't have a problem with that. Just want to know what causes these things to happen, since I see it all the time.

S-V

Really? The ASM pages are nice, but the starting prices seem a little on the high side. confused-smiley-013.gif

blowout,

I think you are incorrect about what these pages are worth. Do you collect ASM interior art? Pages like this almost NEVER come to market because Mike Burkey has a near monopoly on almost all pages. I dont believe what you deem 'the high opening bid' really excludes people from potentially bidding other than someone who can afford it, which is the whole point of what its value is.

I am curious, based on what experience do you believe the piece is worth less? confused-smiley-013.gif

For whatever reason (presumably violations of listing rules) Ebay cancelled the auctions and they've now been relisted. Minus the original bids.

Joseph

Ok, I would be interested, if anyone knows, why e-bay cancelled this auction? What violations of listing rules were broken?

Really? The ASM pages are nice, but the starting prices seem a little on the high side. confused-smiley-013.gif

blowout,

I think you are incorrect about what these pages are worth. Do you collect ASM interior art? Pages like this almost NEVER come to market because Mike Burkey has a near monopoly on almost all pages. I dont believe what you deem 'the high opening bid' really excludes people from potentially bidding other than someone who can afford it, which is the whole point of what its value is.

I am curious, based on what experience do you believe the piece is worth less? confused-smiley-013.gif

I never said that I thought the pages were worth less than the opening bids. It just seems to me that auctions attract a lot more interest and excitement when the opening bid is set at a level where more people think they have a shot at winning the page. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I never said that I thought the pages were worth less than the opening bids. It just seems to me that auctions attract a lot more interest and excitement when the opening bid is set at a level where more people think they have a shot at winning the page. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Clearly, the seller wanted to protect himself (or his consignor) with an appropriate starting bid. Frankly, I'd rather auctions start off at a set number, than have one start at $1 but with an unknown reserve. I know that disappoints the thrill bidders, but it saves someone like me a lot of time. Either it's a number I don't mind bidding at or it's not. No guessing about a mysterious reserve amount.

Clearly, the seller wanted to protect himself (or his consignor) with an appropriate starting bid. Frankly, I'd rather auctions start off at a set number, than have one start at $1 but with an unknown reserve. I know that disappoints the thrill bidders, but it saves someone like me a lot of time. Either it's a number I don't mind bidding at or it's not. No guessing about a mysterious reserve amount.

I agree.

What do you posters think this will close at? I personally think they are nice pieces but dont know how much to bid. I like them alot more than stuff I see getting many multiples of the opening bid that mean little to me (Shultz, Snoopy Sundays for 50k?) in which there are comparable # of examples. I think because Mike Burkey holds so many examples it is almost like looking for a Watterson example, not particularly easy. I imagine Mike will be bidding to maintain his grip on the market but he probably will stop bidding at some point. Any ideas what a good bid is that will give me a real shot?

I wouldn't be surprised to see them go for $15 - 20k apiece. Maybe more - who knows who's waiting to pounce in the closing stages . . .

That's possible...you never know who's gonna jump in.

Of course I don't recognize the current high bidder "cassidy" and checking his feedback he has pretty much 1 transaction in the last 11 months and only 3 in the last year and a half....does anyone recognize that screen name or know who he is?

These types of high profile auctions tend to raise all sorts of ebayers out of hibernation.

Best,

Chris