• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jonah Hex vs. Archie

9 posts in this topic

Check out my latest commission (well, it's really only the preliminary sketch, but I thought I'd share it, anyway, even though it's not even arrived yet):

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=18144

I thought this was a cool idea, since Archie had met the Punisher several years back. Hey, why couldn't he travel back in time to the old west? I don't know how I got the idea, it just came to me and I asked Dan Parent (Archie Comics artist supreme) if he would draw it. Dan said he thought it was a fun idea!

Dan Parent is the greatest, he's fast and his prices are very reasonable. I have several of his pages and covers and have even bought three commissions from him. He does excellent work and is one of my all-time favorite artists. You can find Dan at:

www.danparent.com

Check out his site; it's hilarious and has a lot of great art n his galleries.

Also check out my Jonah Hex art gallery at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=25597

I've got 23 pieces of Jonah Hex art (some unpublished and some published).

Let me know what you think!

Mike B.

I loved seeing the Albano and DeZuniga pages to the same story. Very cool.

Did Albano always rough out his stories that way? Looking at his pages I started to wonder what a Hex story done by Harvey Kurzman would look like.

I loved seeing the Albano and DeZuniga pages to the same story. Very cool.

Did Albano always rough out his stories that way? Looking at his pages I started to wonder what a Hex story done by Harvey Kurzman would look like.

John Albano, in those days, always provided cartoon scripts. He was a cartoonist first and foremost and knew what he wanted. Tony DeZuniga followed his -script right down to the letter.

Albano was the cartoon editor for the National Enquirer when it was a legitimate newspaper and was there when it made the switch to a sensationalist tabloid. When he died last year, he was working on a musical play and he had just finished cartoons for a Barnes and Nobles calendar and his sense of humor was still as sharp as ever. What's so sad is that no one ever thought to ask Albano for an interview or a commission of Jonah Hex. Except me. I knew I wanted the father of Hex to at least sketch out something for me. I spoke with him via telephone from his Florida home for nearly three hours and he agreed to send me a sketch of Hex. What I got was the full drawing of his beloved character, which is probably the only commission of Jonah Hex he ever did.

i love love love the roughs by Albano, matewan. that's freaking awesome.

nice Hex collection you've got there, too thumbsup2.gif